The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricky business :: Adv in the phone book/listing? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
Hello,

Is the phone book still a good place to be? It was critical in the past, but times have changed.

In this area there are many small phone listing books, yellow pages, yellow book and even some others. Instead of a single large book there are many small books. Some companies are listed in some and not others. I know many people don't even keep them, they just use online phone directories or 411.

I am not getting a phone company phone so it will not be listed automatically. I am just wondering if it is worth the money to pay for an ad or a listing. I had one a couple of years ago, it was something like $35/mo for 6 months and I remember getting only a few phone calls off it. I am moving into a new area and have placed newspaper ads and an ad in a very popular classifieds magazine, but am wondering if I should pay for phone book listings.

I am just curious if the phone book brings in business for other people.
www.magicbyhabu.com
Habu: Taken from SR-71 spy plane I worked on. It's name came from a poisonous snake on Okinawa. Hope my magic isn't poisonous!
tparrett62
View Profile
Regular user
New York
171 Posts

Profile of tparrett62
Rick-

I wouldn't bother; as you said, most people get their info online. Anyone still using a phone book is probably not the sort of person looking to book a magic show. I've had a YP ad for years, and I can't remember the last time someone called me from it. (My listing is free with my business line.)

Terry
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I don't understand how you only got a yellow page listing for 6 months, how did they remove the listing or ad if you did not renew for the other six months.

Here you have to get a business line to get a business listing in the phone book, that is of course base rate, so with all the other things the phone company likes to add-on, it is almost double. This puts your phone # in the yellow pages, but does not give the nice little ads you see in those sections, that is an ad charge on top of everything else.

Advertising is good, use all means your budget will allow. Direct Mail produces more results, then waiting for the telephone to ring.

I found you get more inquiries from generic ads in the telephone book and newspaper. It all depends on your target market, if you have one.
Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
Thanks Terry, you confirmed what I was expecting to hear.

wmhegbli, The listing was not for 6 months, only the charges. The listing was part of a deal made by the phone company and the business I was working with. We split the charges of $70 per month for 6 months and we each got a listing, mine was under magician and the other was under party planning (I think). I do like the idea of being in the phone book, but it just doesn't seem to be as important as it used to be. I am looking into direct marketing with my school shows for the area. Thanks for you input.
www.magicbyhabu.com
Habu: Taken from SR-71 spy plane I worked on. It's name came from a poisonous snake on Okinawa. Hope my magic isn't poisonous!
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3662 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
One other thing to note is that with the business phone "free" listing it is for the book in your geographic area, which could be small. You would also have to pay to be in the bigger book for the local metropolitan area, and any other book for your chosen areas you wish to work.

If you work under your own name, as I do, I even had to pay to be in the white pages (std. directory) in the appropriate manner. ie Marshall, Blair not Blair Marshall, my business name.

To me the yellow pages does not work (anymore, did it ever?) as there too many other sources for the info.

Blair
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
It could become a moot point soon.

Here's an excerpt from an article dated Nov. 15
Quote:
Major telecommunications companies have received permission from regulators to stop printing and delivering the bulky things, the Associated Press reported. New York, Florida and Pennsylvania gave Verizon the OK to halt distribution this month, and Virginia is likely to follow. Alabama, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Missouri, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Texas, Wisconsin already have petitioned or received the go-ahead to close the book on what was once an American fixture.

The full article at
http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/11/15......r-is-up/

Beano
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7568 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
With some phone book companies, they are emphasising that you spend money on their online listing, instead of the print book listing. But I'm not convinced that their online directories are used all that much either. Things have shifted.

If you want to spend money being in an online directory, there are better directories to be listed in.

Many years ago I spent money to have a YP small display ad or a bold listing. Now, I just go with the bare minimum of a free listing that is included as a part of having a phone bill. Right now, I would not pay to be a part of any printed phone book.

- Donald

P.S. Don't forget, there are many, many different ways to promote your business. Some people put all their eggs in one basket, like a listing in a phone book or cards left at a party store, but I recommend that you try several different things all at once and track them.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The article may be just permission to for Verizon to stop publishing and passing out the Telephone book. Her Verizon was sold to Frontier, still waiting, but they should pick up the publication of a telephone book for their customers.

We will see come May 2011, that is usually when the telephone book is left at your door.
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Only older people are likely to use the yellow pages. The internet is the way to go. Get yourself priority listed on Google with the right key words.
"Great Scott the Magician", Gippsland
magicguyri
View Profile
New user
RI
68 Posts

Profile of magicguyri
I think that the question has to be does the additional cost of print (Yellow pages) advertising warrant the results obtained? In the past, I would have to book 10 shows directly from the Yellow pages, just to pay for the ads. So even if I lose out on 5 shows by NOT being in the Y.P., I'm still ahead of the game.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Most people I know throw both their Yellow book, and Verizon phone book in the trash as soon as they arrive.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
jiayi
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
313 Posts

Profile of jiayi
I put in an ad in the yellow page this year, the most wasted money in advertising for me. you will be better off staying with online advertising.
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
Quote:
On 2010-11-23 06:01, scottds80 wrote:
Only older people are likely to use the yellow pages. The internet is the way to go. Get yourself priority listed on Google with the right key words.

Watch it there Sonny. Smile

I haven't used the phone book in 2 days...since I lost my specs.

Actually I find it easier/quicker to grab the book if the computer's not on. And it's handy to have one in the car.

(You thought I was going to say bathroom, didn't ya?)
jonathandupree
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of jonathandupree
I have a ad in the yellow pages and I book 2 or 3 shows a month just from the ad. To me it is worth it - one show alone pays for the ad. The thing with the phone book is when people pick it up, they are usually ready to make a decision. They are specifically looking for a magician. So I think it is worth it because believe it or not a lot of people still do use the phone book. Plus my listing is on the yellow pages online so if they use a smart phone or computer they can find me there as well.

I also use internet search and adwords. So many times people will call and say "We saw your ad in the phone book and we also saw you online several places so we decided to call you."

I think you should cover all bases in advertising and not just use one method, like only print or only internet. Use both. It is very affordable to run a small ad in the phone book.

Just my thoughts.
Jonathan