The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricky business :: Starter for wordpress.. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Doruk Ãœlgen
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Doruk Ãœlgen
Hi All
Since the search function is not working, I need to ask a probably previously asked question, so here it is ;

I'll open a few wordpress sites soon. Now I have two questions;

1) Is it better to download and upload wordpress to my hosting(or to have a hosting that has wordpress), or to direct my domain to xxx.wordpress.com ? And is both capable of same things as functions,and both same as easiness to use?

2)Which hosting service would you recommend to host multiple(preferablly unlimited) sites and which also has a free site builder and latest wordpress? I remember mike clay recommending hostgator, it looks fine, but I also found mochahost which is very cheap but has some bad reviews on the net. Does anyone know about mocha host, any alternatives you may recommend that's a bang for buck?

and a sidenote question; wordpress or joomla? Smile
monstercreations
View Profile
Regular user
England
116 Posts

Profile of monstercreations
Hi,
1.Your own hosting if you have.

2. Hostgator is if in US

3. Wordpress is easier for the novice, can do more with Joomla but has a harder learning curve.

The above are just my opinions.
Ade
jackturk
View Profile
Elite user
463 Posts

Profile of jackturk
Ditto on Monster's thoughts.

Joomla is more of a content management system rather
than a blog - and it is definitely a lot more complex
to deal with than Wordpress. Plus my own experience
is it's harder to secure - there are a lot of backdoors
with Joomla that hackers can find, particularly if you
go with their plugins. (I speak from painful experience.)
"59 Ways To Recession Proof Your Entertainment Business -- FREE!"
http://www.GetLeadsLikeCrazy.com

"How To Make $25,000 a Year Doing Birthday Parties Part-Time"
http://www.magicmarketingcenter.com/birthdayPT
Doruk Ãœlgen
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Doruk Ãœlgen
So wordpress it is than.

But I currently do not have a hosting ( ok to have one) and I'm not in US.

PS: I'll not be using blogs, I'll use wordpress as standart website, but if anyone has a better solution to seo friendly website builder,I'd be happy to hear.
monstercreations
View Profile
Regular user
England
116 Posts

Profile of monstercreations
Hi,
Any hosting will do but ideally you need hosting in your own country if that is the country you wish to target seowise.

Wordpress is great to use as a standard website, pm me for a few links to sites we have done in wordpress.

Ade
mikeypresto
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of mikeypresto
Would anyone here be willing to help me a little with word press on my own hosting.

I looked at it briefly but have lots of questions, I would offer a free copy of my balloon twisting DVD as a thank you

I can be reached at Michaellynnjr at gmail dot com

Thanks,
Mikey
Magically,

Mikey
Doruk Ãœlgen
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Doruk Ãœlgen
I didn't knew that the location of the hosting matter to the seo, thanks Ade. I pmed you.
BradBrown
View Profile
Regular user
Florence, KY, USA
183 Posts

Profile of BradBrown
For a fee, you can have a Wordpress.com site, but still use your own domain name. See, http://en.support.wordpress.com/domain-mapping/ (This is different than just forwarding the domain or using a frameset.)

There are still advantages to installing it on a host somewhere, as long as you keep it up to date. However, using wordpress.com with your own domain name is an option.

BTW-I use and recommend Bluehost as my host.
Doruk Ãœlgen
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Doruk Ãœlgen
That's a nice option, thanks Brad. Can all the functions, plugins , addons and stuff be used trough wordpress.com or is it better to have it on a host I own ?

I'm into wordpress for the seo-sake so I think I have to get a host in my country according to Ade's recomedation, unless someone tells me that mochahost is good and safe (its really cheap ! Smile ) .
BradBrown
View Profile
Regular user
Florence, KY, USA
183 Posts

Profile of BradBrown
My info on Wordpress.com is a bit out of date. I helped someone get started on Wordpress.com a few years ago, but haven't been on there since. Things may have changed somewhat.

You will definitely have more limitations on Wordpress.com than you will hosting it yourself. At least a few years ago, you were limited to the pre installed themes they made available. I can't imagine you could install your own plug-ins, either.

So, if your needs are simple and you don't want to have to upgrade the software yourself, wordpress.com may be an option. If you want total control or need things Wordpress.com can't do, then you should host it yourself.
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
The advantage is that you control the content on your server when self hosted. Any google love you get in the form of inbound links will only benefit WordPress.com if you host with them.

Host it on your own site and get people used to your domain. Then in five or ten years when WordPress gets replaced by the next big thing, you can upgrade "under the hood" and no visitors will notice a thing.

Host on WordPress.com and then switch in five years, you'll be in the same boat as if you just changed your business phone number.
Doruk Ãœlgen
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Doruk Ãœlgen
I got a hosting now but in trouble finding a free good theme with a drop down menu. Before I invest I want to use a free one and see it working. Anyone has recommendations for a theme?
Fitz
View Profile
Elite user
Phoenix, AZ
476 Posts

Profile of Fitz
If your looking for great affordable themes for wordpress check this place out. http://www.goo.gl/q2RT
I really like the designer named "epicera"

Good luck,
Fitz
I have a daily web show all about magic at http://FitzMagic.info