The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Aldo On Trost 3 dvd set (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Aldo's got three dvds on his site now containing nothing but the card magic of Nick Trost. I haven't seen the set but I'm sure it's great. I love Nick Trost material.

He's also selling a one trick dvd of Nick Trost's "Trik Kards". Comes complete with the cards. This packet trick is one of the best ever.

The as always dvds are $10 each. I'm anxious to see them myself!

http://www.wildcolombini.com/cart/
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Rpascual
View Profile
Special user
USA
668 Posts

Profile of Rpascual
Wow sounds good. But wondering, is the material on the DVD's the same as in the books that have been published with his material on them?
CALENIG
View Profile
Regular user
UK
199 Posts

Profile of CALENIG
Thanks for the heads up Cameron I am a big fan of Aldo.
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1353 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
These caught my eye as well.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Even if the material is in the books, I still enjoy seeing it performed. It's funny, as popular as Trost is, I rarely see anyone do his material! I love his version of Reset. Especially his ending. It's great.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
boinko
View Profile
Elite user
Illinois
427 Posts

Profile of boinko
Just ordered all three!
Chappo
View Profile
Special user
Bris Vegas
754 Posts

Profile of Chappo
Glad to see that it was Aldo who has completed this project, as his approach to card magic is very similar to Trosts.
The rules of a sleight of hand artist, Are three, and all others are vain,

The 1st & the 2nd are practice... And the 3rd one is practice again

- 'Magic of the Hands', Edward Victor (1940)
boinko
View Profile
Elite user
Illinois
427 Posts

Profile of boinko
Just got these last night. It's great to see the effects, but I have a major -- major -- quibble with the DVDs (at least the first 2 -- I haven't yet seen the 3rd): the scene breaks don't line up with the effects.

In other words, it's virtually impossible to select a single effect from the main menu. Every single scene break is slightly off -- so you end up watching big chunk of the previous effect in order to get to the one you want.

It's a shame because it makes accessing the material incredibly difficult. I thought about writing down the times for each effect, but I don't feel like going to that much trouble. I dunno. I'm bummed. I've tried it out on two different DVD players, and it looks like a mastering error with the DVDs.

I love the fact that Aldo is able to put out so many DVDs of great material (at $10 a disc!) but this is the second set of DVDs that have had these off-kilter scenes. It makes the DVDs far less useful. The stuff is there, yeah -- and in Aldo's hands it's always killer stuff, but still ...

Other than that -- the DVDs are superb. Smile
Leo Reynolds Jr
View Profile
Special user
864 Posts

Profile of Leo Reynolds Jr
Ever since Aldo switched to the video menu his DVD's have been like that I liked the old title menus better.Thought about e-mailing him about it.

Best
Leo Jr
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Just got these but haven't watched them yet.

Yes, the chapters are always off. I think these has to do with the editing software that Rachel uses. While it is a pain, it's kind of hard to complain since each dvd is only $10. Smile I just fast forward or rewind to the effect.

Cameron
boinko
View Profile
Elite user
Illinois
427 Posts

Profile of boinko
Thanks, Cameron. (Big fan of your stuff, BTW.)

Yeah -- I just realized that myself after looking at a couple of older DVDs that just arrived.

No -- I realize the content of each DVD is always top-notch. (And it's always a pleasure to watch Aldo work. He obviously loves what he's doing on these discs -- and that always comes through.)

I agree -- 10 bucks a pop is hard to beat -- especially when the material and presentation (and personalities!) are always top notch. Smile
fvdbeek
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of fvdbeek
>the scene breaks don't line up with the effects

It is indeed a problem that occured when he switched to the new DVD-layout. I think he's editing in Final Cut and not setting his chaptermarkers right.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Watched them all. Great stuff. Some set ups required but they would make for great opening effects.

Funny, a lot of this stuff comes from the Subtle Magic of Nick Trost books. A lot of guys complained that there wasn't a lot of strong material in those books. I think it's fairer to say that there is a lot of strong material in the books but some people didn't bother to try the stuff out!
723sabre
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of 723sabre
The beauty of what Aldo brings out in these DVD is the genius of Nick Trost. Plus something I believe is so overlooked for those new to magic or who are still feeling their way along this path of discovery is that a lot of Trosts' material is USABLE and EFFECTIVE without requiring years and years of practice and experience. I'm one of those relative "newbies" and I still find myself forgetting it's not how many sleights or moves you can do, but your presentation. I practice yes, but I continually find myself thinking "OK, how would I present this to someone?". Then the real work begins!

Good stuff on these DVD's- I'm actually hoping Aldo does a few more!
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6146 Posts

Profile of motown
I picked up all three of these DVDs from Aldo recently and really enjoyed them.

For me, Volume 1 and Volume 3 were the strongest. The second volume had a few too many tricks
with to much counting and shuffling that I just didn't care for. With that said, I still found 3 or 4 tricks
that I really liked, making it well worth the purchase. The DVDs are a great value for the money.

Here's a few favorites from each volume.

Volume 1: Triumph Ace Opener, The Telephone Trick and Ace to Five.

Volume 2: The Trost Four-Ace Routine and The Sub-Trunk Mystery

Volume 3: Jazz 1-2-3-4 Revisited, Fifteen Card Mystery and The Magnetic Aces.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
723sabre
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of 723sabre
Vol 3, CARDS OF COINCIDENCE has really caught me. Excellent effect that looks very random and has an unexpected outcome.
james_thecanadian_magician
View Profile
Veteran user
345 Posts

Profile of james_thecanadian_magician
I liked "Ten in a row double coincidence" from volume 1. I was fooled by this one.
james_thecanadian_magician
View Profile
Veteran user
345 Posts

Profile of james_thecanadian_magician
Mential fingertips was also a cool one. But one I didn't seem fond of was Multiplying Kings. Overall I enjoyed this 3 dvd set. I'm hoping that Aldo will come out with possible 4,5, and 6 lol.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6146 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On 2011-01-11 09:35, 723sabre wrote:
Vol 3, CARDS OF COINCIDENCE has really caught me. Excellent effect that looks very random and has an unexpected outcome.
I liked that one as well.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
mtstic44
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of mtstic44
I went to his sight and saw that vol.4 came out. Im going to get all 4 vol. Im a big fan of Aldo anyway.So I know they will be good.