The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Catch this if you can! :: Hat Juggling (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1276 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
Hi all, I am looking for a source for hat juggling, rolling, etc.!
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
On line, go to http://www.trickswithhats.org which is quite excellent.

The Complete Juggler by Dave Finnegan has an introduction to the art too.

There is a great video available by Andy Head. Most juggling suppliers will stock it, both in the U.S. and U.K. Try: http://www.dube.com as a start.

ml
philipi56
View Profile
Regular user
grand rapids, MI
142 Posts

Profile of philipi56
There is also a newer book by Dave Finnegan called Juggling from Start to Star. It covers balls, clubs, diabolo, devilstick, hats, and more.
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1276 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
Missing_Link, what is the name of the video by Andy Head??? Smile
Magically,
Mark

Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
Mark,

If I remember rightly, it was simply called Hat Juggling with Andy Head.

Dube (www.dube.com) sells it—go to the online catalogue and look at videos/manipulation arts.

Here is the description from that page:
Quote:
This instructional video features Andy Head, the 1985 and 1991 U.S. National Juggling Champion. Specializing in hat juggling for many years, he covers all the basic and not-so-basic moves, including spins, tosses, catches, flips, rolling, swinging and more.

Quote:
On 2003-07-16 09:44, philipi56 wrote:
There is also a newer book by Dave Finnegan called Juggling from Start to Star. It covers balls, clubs, diabolo, devilstick, hats, and more.

Do you like this book? I know it is quite well illustrated with photos, but the content doesn't offer as much as The Complete Juggler. The cynical would say that he simply wrote the same book twice!!

The Complete Juggler gets my vote. Even if Dave Finnegan is a deadringer for Ned Flanders from the Simpsons.

ml
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1276 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
I picked up The Complete Juggler by Dave Finnegan and this looks like a great start!

Does anyone have the Start to Star book? I would think that Missing_Link could be right about the books being very similar? Are they?
Magically,
Mark

philipi56
View Profile
Regular user
grand rapids, MI
142 Posts

Profile of philipi56
The books are very similar, but you get real photos instead of drawings.
MiNiM
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
111 Posts

Profile of MiNiM
If you can get Greg MacMahans book Birthday Fun he has a section of neat hat juggling tricks—not using hats as clubs or balls but flipping your hat from your head to your foot, kicking it up in the air and catching it on your head again—that sort of thing!

Cheers,
Bill
He asked me if I liked card tricks. I said "No." He did three. (W. Somerset Maugham)
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
Quote:
On 2003-07-18 04:53, MiNiM wrote:
If you can get Greg MacMahans book Birthday Fun he has a section of neat hat juggling tricks—not using hats as clubs or balls but flipping your hat from your head to your foot, kicking it up in the air and catching it on your head again—that sort of thing!

Cheers,
Bill

Hi Bill

That's the kind of thing that Dave Finnegan, Andy Head and the trickswithhats websites cover. It's great to do.

WC Fields used to do some excellent hat manipulation work, as did Chaplin.

Kris Kremo, the German juggler, is one of the best around. Try to catch his show if you get the opportunity.

ML

PS—Just remembered another useful resource: The Juggler's Manual of Manipulative Miscellanea by Reg Bacon. Includes hat work, plate manipulation plus much more. It is still available from most juggling suppliers—I got a second-hand copy on ebay.
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1276 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
Thanks everyone for all of your help, I found just what I was looking for! Just a few flourishes that I can do with my hat to help get the show started!

Thanks Everyone! Smile
Magically,
Mark