The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Ripped and Restored DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
cougar261084
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of cougar261084
This DVD is okay, it's only 3 effects but this version of a torn and restored card is the best I have ever seen. It's not complicated like Reformation yet it's equally effective and it requires no duplicate card. It's not like some effects where the card is still torn at the end.

1. Ripped and Restored: as I said, is easily the best torn and restored out on the market.

2. Puzzle Card: You restore the card but you put two parts together the wrong way and you blow and it becomes restored again. I don't really do this because I think the effect or the normal torn and restored is better.

3. Blended: A card is signed on it's four corners (squares) and is then torn and restored. This is pure genius. I love it, I truly love it.

Although the DVD is short and his English isn't good, he's got quite an effect there. This could easily replace Guy Hollingworth's technique. Smile
dillib
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of dillib
Yup, this is definitely the most effective piece-by-piece T&R effect for me. It's not complicated and the effect plays well.
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
I've seen it performed, and I still think "The Reformation" is the best. This is probably one of the better variations though.

I take that back. I just watched the demo again and I see it suffers from the same problems most of the weaker variations do. Namely, the card is restored with its back facing the audience, making its progressive restoration much less interesting. It uses the weak ploy of putting the other pieces in your pocket. And the two side pieces are restored first, which isn't as deceptive as first restoring the two diagonal ends. And of course, the other side of the card is never seen, which is one of the key convincers of The Reformation.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
cougar261084
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of cougar261084
Yes, well I have a munscript in my possesion of Reformation and it has no pictures. I have never seen it done altough I think I saw David Copperfield doing it once with a baseball playing card though. I have read and read through it again, yet I can't seem to get it right. Honestly, until you said this I didn't even know the diagonal parts were fitted first Smile
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
There is no manuscript for "The Reformation." Do you mean Guy Hollingworth's book or are you talking about a different version?
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
I was also under the impression that this was only found in Hollingworth's Drawing Room Deceptions.
Drive Carefully
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
2001 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
I think cougar might have it confused with Reparation.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Jasonm921
View Profile
New user
NYC
86 Posts

Profile of Jasonm921
I still enjoy the simplicity and impact of torched and restored.
cougar261084
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of cougar261084
No seriously, it's Guy Hollingworth's reformation manuscript. Maybe it's copied but a friend gave it to me on a CD but there are no pictures on it.
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
That's not good. Yes, it is copied. There is no such manuscript. Someone would have had to copy the text from the book. The lack of pictures is probably why you can't understand it. FYI, an explanation (with pictures) can be found in Guy Hollingworth's excellent book "Drawing Room Deceptions."
cougar261084
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of cougar261084
I'm not going to buy that book just for Reformation. Here's what I have to go through to get some magic equipment.

Either I go to my magic shop which is a 3 hour drive and I can't drive yet. If my dad or mom finally takes me I get to the magic store only to find out that a normal DVD costs 60 euros there and an Invisible Deck, yes an Invisible Deck costs 25 euros (1 euro is a bit more than 1 dollar)

Or I order it, only on which I have to pay nice shipping costs because it has to fly overseas. Smile

Besides I already have Ripped and Restored and I'll live with this, besides I just thought of something. You can show the front of the card but you just need a duplicate then AS IN reformation, I don't care what looks the best I mean the response of the audience is the same.

I read this in a review somewhere:
The practice needed to perform the reformation far outweighs the reaction you get. This does not mean that the reaction is bad but you get the same reaction with easier handlings.
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
Cougar261084, I was not saying you have to buy the book. I was merely clarifying and giving some information for future reference. If you're satisfied with Ripped & Restored, that's fine.

BTW, I disagree with whomever wrote that review you quoted. I've performed several of the variations and The Reformation ALWAYS gets the strongest reactions.
cougar261084
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of cougar261084
Okay, no harm done.
da5id
View Profile
Loyal user
Dublin, Ireland
268 Posts

Profile of da5id
Quote:
On 2003-07-15 16:18, cougar261084 wrote:
I'm not going to buy that book just for Reformation. Here's what I have to go through to get some magic equipment.

Either I go to my magic shop which is a 3 hour drive and I can't drive yet. If my dad or mom finally takes me I get to the magic store only to find out that a normal DVD costs 60 euros there and an Invisible Deck, yes an Invisible Deck costs 25 euros (1 euro is a bit more than 1 dollar)

Or I order it, only on which I have to pay nice shipping costs becaus it has to fly overseas. Smile

You can order at http://www.magictricks.co.uk for Europe to avoid having things shipped from the States (if I understand your concern correctly).
cougar261084
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of cougar261084
Yes, but there prices are accurately priced, so it costs more then it would to have it fly overseas.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10971 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Cougar send me your mailing address and I will send you my "warped and restored"
torn and restored effect only using one card for FREE. You can pm your address to me
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
mugician51
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of mugician51
I was thinking about getting Ripped and Restored, but I just have one question. Is there any set-up before hand, or is it completely impromptu?
therntier
View Profile
Special user
681 Posts

Profile of therntier
It is a great DVD. It's not totally impromptu, but the setup is under 10 seconds. And the specs have a free choice of the card. It is the nicest torn and resstored I have seen.
PyroDevil
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
156 Posts

Profile of PyroDevil
I do not own this video yet but the demo looks great! Can't wait to get it and see how it's done.