The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Right or Wrong? :: Teaching magic to laymen? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
mightydog
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan now living in the Florida panha
156 Posts

Profile of mightydog
Beginning magicians and serious students of the art is not the general public in my mind. I don't think the general public is going to spend the cash on a magic kit or DVD just to learn how one trick is done. After seeing the trick (and wanting to know how it is done) they are going to forget it and go about their business. The beginning magician and student will however continue in their pursuit proving the seriousness of their intent and should be encouraged. Rather than teach a specific trick why not teach moves and sleights? And encourage the student to combine the moves and sleights into their own effects?
Illusion and magic is the same, if it was possible to achieve the impossible by genuine powers then it wouldn’t be impossible and therefore it wouldn’t be magic. That’s why magic is an art; the art of creating the illusion of the impossible.
Raphael Benatar

mightydog
David
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Are they a paying audience?

Then yes.

Magic Shops don't ask for any qualifications when you buy any effect.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
mightydog
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of mightydog
A paying audience who is there to be entertained only should not be taught any effects, especially any effect that they just witnessed. There curiosity is fleeting at best. Beginning Magician or students of magi9c willing to take lessons I believe should be taught, Which brings up a interesting topic for another post somewhere. If you were going to teach a beginner...What would be your lesson plan?
Illusion and magic is the same, if it was possible to achieve the impossible by genuine powers then it wouldn’t be impossible and therefore it wouldn’t be magic. That’s why magic is an art; the art of creating the illusion of the impossible.
Raphael Benatar

mightydog
David
jdmagic357
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of jdmagic357
The fact is that there is no way of knowing when you teach somebody if there interest is magic is genuine or not? Just as one might start leaning the piano, then latter decide it's not for them, so to might one learning magic or tacking magic lessons. In that case any "secrets" learned by the student would NOW just be exposure to a again lay person.

So the difference between exposure and teaching is money. We seem to be fine charging for secrets but not giving them away. Maybe that's because many feel that "you get what you pay for" and that nothing worth anything could possibly be free? But that's just not true. Many a free offering is as good or better than what one might buy.

So in conclusion, exposure is of no consequence, as it's been happening ever since magic began. What hurts the art almost irrecoverably is bad performances. So be the best you can and hopefully if your talented you will succeed in the craft?

Peace.
Just cause they say it, doesn't make it true.
mightydog
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of mightydog
I would suggest teaching a glide, a double lift a front and back palm. And instruct the student to create their own effect. patter and presentation. These are not effects in and of them selves and would not give away any effects. An entrance exam if you will into the world of Magic. If they can perform a good glide a good double lift, etc Then they have showed a serious desire to learn and should be taught.
Raphael Benatar

mightydog
David
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Mightydog-

I agree with you and hope you will not seccumb to the specious "logic" that is being trotted out by some here. I really do not think their ox is in any danger...

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
jdmagic357
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of jdmagic357
Quote:
On 2011-01-06 21:39, Mr. Mystoffelees wrote:
Mightydog-

I agree with you and hope you will not seccumb to the specious "logic" that is being trotted out by some here. I really do not think their ox is in any danger...

Jim

Mightydog; I think what jim meant was succumb. not seccumb but to say that something is plausible and incorrect without evidence to the wrongness of the statement is not only capricious but false. So make up your own mind and don't be led by those who in life would lead you to destruction out of their own fallacies.

Peace.
Just cause they say it, doesn't make it true.
mightydog
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of mightydog
Darshwood is giving lectures on the psychology of Magic. Is His students actually lay people who have never had nor have now a interest in magic? Or are they magicians and serious students of the magic arts? Those people who are a true lay audience should not be given the methods of an effect. They are interested in psychology not magic. They are not going to spend money buying books and effects, nor spend the time needed to learn or practice. They are not dedicated to the art. Where as someone who has mastered the glide, the double lift, the front and back palm has shown a dedication and willingness to learn and should be encouraged taught and mentored.
Raphael Benatar

mightydog
David