The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Stage Illusions :: Dream Illusions Firecage (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
briansmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
507 Posts

Profile of briansmagic
Looking for reviews from others who have owned Jack Murray's firecage. Thinking about purchasing one, and curious to hear what others think of the prop. I ask b/c I've heard mixed reviews.

Thanks!
B
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
This is a beautifully made illusion from the mind of Jack Murray. His no-bolt design is truly amazing. I can single-handedly get this out of the ATA case and assembled in about 5 minutes. The fire mechanism is fool proof and the optical illusion created is absolutely perfect. Considering the price and quality of this illusion, you can't go wrong.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
760 Posts

Profile of Shawn Farquhar
For the price it is well made and the fire mechanism is awesome. I owned and used it regularly with no issues. I would still have it in the show if it weren't for the fact that most ships won't allow fire... and it seems to be becoming a trend in theatres on land too..

shawn
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I don't use fire in my cage at all anymore. Instead, it forms part of my Oriental show. The piece is entitled "Legend of the Lion" and incorporates a traditional lion dance, complete with paper mache lion head and a huge Chinese drum.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
RobAnderson
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of RobAnderson
Putting it together 5 minutes by yourself sounds amazing. We spent almost a half hour setting up my friends for his show, with 2 people doing it!
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
From what I have heard it is one of the best out there today. You cannot go wrong with Jack. I made a decision to not buy his subtrunk and have regreted it ever since. He is a master builder.

Patrick
cardone
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of cardone
Jack's stuff rules ! I have two of his pieces one being the cage !!! Well made, solid and sets up fast ....all things that are good for the working class entertainer !
abra
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of abra
Check out the new fire cage design on Dream Illusion, it's a designed I came up with. So Jack took my idea and this is what it turned out to be, Jack did a great job building it and you really have to see it in person to appreaciate his work.

http://www.dream-illusions.com/new-illus......ory_id=1

Abra
tristanmagic
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of tristanmagic
Dear Abra,

While it is good to come up with a new design it is important to realise what makes this illusion work.
The sides of the cage need to be designed so that the audience has no idea how deep the inside of the cage really is (when the g..... is in place ) with your design, people will see the that the back of the cage is not really where it should be!(thanks to the diamond shape on the sides)
You could redesign the front & back in whatever pattern you want but the sides need to be vertical lines (or squares like a metal fence) and the top need to be cage style also - bars running from side to side, not from front to back like some bad models, so that the curtain can hang a bit inside the cage (through the bars) which helps the illusion.
The best fire cage is the one that Hans Klok uses but his version is not available anymore (only 3 where build)
DennisRush
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of DennisRush
Quote:
On 2011-05-01 14:41, abra wrote:
Check out the new fire cage design on Dream Illusion, it's a designed I came up with. So Jack took my idea and this is what it turned out to be, Jack did a great job building it and you really have to see it in person to appreaciate his work.

http://www.dream-illusions.com/new-illus......ory_id=1

Abra

This Cage looks really good, but I agree: the best cage for me is also this one from hans klok, but I don´t know who had built them.... I have one from italy, and he is very good working for years, for a good price. dennis
Brian Arkell
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of Brian Arkell
Great Illusion if you are allowed to use fire in the venue!

Brian

Brian Arkell
Arkell Magic
http://www.arkellmagic.com
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
Quote:
On 2011-05-02 20:09, tristanmagic wrote:
Dear Abra,

While it is good to come up with a new design it is important to realise what makes this illusion work.
The sides of the cage need to be designed so that the audience has no idea how deep the inside of the cage really is (when the g..... is in place ) with your design, people will see the that the back of the cage is not really where it should be!(thanks to the diamond shape on the sides)
You could redesign the front & back in whatever pattern you want but the sides need to be vertical lines (or squares like a metal fence) and the top need to be cage style also - bars running from side to side, not from front to back like some bad models, so that the curtain can hang a bit inside the cage (through the bars) which helps the illusion.
The best fire cage is the one that Hans Klok uses but his version is not available anymore (only 3 where build)

I respectfully disagree! The Fire Cage effect is performed so fast the lay audience does NOT have the time to consider the "size" of the cage before and after the effect. This is another case of magicians who know how an effect works, over thinking it. The design of the cage is of no great importance in this situation.
As to the use of fire: This effect can be as good without fire. Many of my clients have never used the fire box. You can use a "look alike" doll, or a feather boa to place in the cage to "transform" into the assistant.

Jack Murray
abra
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of abra
Tristanmagic, I do have to agree with Jack on this, the Fire Cage is done so fast that the audience will not even have time to decipher the depth. I am the one that came up with the design and had Jack build it for me. Yes, I am sure if you stared at a picture of some illusion long enough you would find something to say, all magicians have there own opinion on what people construct and come up with. Although if you see this live, the speed and appearence happens so fast no one has a clue. Tristanmagic although I value your opinion we have already tested it and have been getting very good reactions. Hopefully I will get a video of us in action and post it.

Abra
magic-taylor
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of magic-taylor
Just curious on the weight of this illusion in the case and approx case dimensions if anyone knows. Sent a message trough the dream illusions site.
Trying to see if this packs down to a size that could fly as baggage on commercial flights
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
Based on the recent announcement, you'll have to go used. He retired from magic.
mysticalmike
View Profile
Special user
Saratoga Springs, NY
509 Posts

Profile of mysticalmike
He is still building but just part time now.