The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Where to put it all... :: Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Skitch
View Profile
Veteran user
Philadelphia
400 Posts

Profile of Skitch
I was wondering if there is a table out there that I can take around and just bring out when I am going to do close up magic. Also, I am looking for a table where I can hide things. I want to be able to drop it down off the table somewhere.

Is there any close up small tables with like compartments so I can drop stuff or keep my close up magic inside.

Do you know of any website where I can see them at? Thank you.... Smile
§kitch
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Skitch,
Just so you know your search is not in vain, there are such tables.
Well, not exactly tables; more like close-up cases that lie on your lap. The top is covered in a close-up pad and they have one or two drawers to store (or ditch) stuff.
Offhand, I can't direct you to any dealers that sell them; but, yes, they do exist.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
Even something like this might work: a pizza box of the right size, covered with attactive material and rigged with supports so the front flap can open at any time. You could even store a few items inside, including a close-up pad.

I also see in another thread that "magicman" has recommended using a T.V. tray table covered with a black cloth. You might be able to do the same with a lap-top T.V. tray.

I think you could ditch stuff using something like this.

--alan
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
Magique Hands
View Profile
Loyal user
Lincoln, NE.
247 Posts

Profile of Magique Hands
Hello Skitch!!

Here's something else to try... I, many times carry around in my pocket, two very small safety pins. If I'm seated at a dining table with a table cloth, I use the safety pins to 'pin-up' my edge of the table cloth (thus creating a 'make-shift' servante/pocket). Being that I'm seated, I can perform a 'little show', and nobody suspects that I've just created a little pocket, by using my side of the table cloth. This works GREAT, because the people are seated as well, and so their plane of vision is just right for this type of 'Table Magic'. In many ways, ditching the coin would be just like 'lapping', but the item goes into the servante/pocket, instead of falling on your lap.

Hope this helps!!
- - Troy
"If you go around sprinkling Woofle Dust on everything... people will think 'My... What an odd character." www.magicmafia.com
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Hello. Another way to think about this is to carry less stuff. Deck of cards. Handful of coins. Sharpie. Spongeballs and purseframe. Wallet. Wonder pen. These are all things you can distribute about your person and do hours of stuff. You feel free when you get to this point. Just think about it. When you've done your best stuff for one group, move to a different part of the room and start over. You can do different card tricks, different coin tricks, but dispense with any props that seem like they came from a magic shop. Gregg