The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magicians of old :: Doug Henning? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Mark Wilson paved the way for every magician who ever had a television special.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Wasn't it Copperfield who helped out Henning at the end of Doug's career?
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
Bill,

Of all people, you should know that Milbourne Christopher paved the way for USA magicains having TV specials. You CAN'T rewrite magic history.

Gerry
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You are right. I should have mentioned Milbourne Christopher. If my information is correct, he had 3 syndicated television specials, starting in 1957.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Thanks Bill.

I know the younger guys don't this, which is why I think Christopher deserves the credit. Still, Mark Wilson did a lot for magic,

Thanks,

Gerry
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Would you like to buy a verb?

"I know the younger guys don't this, "
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Bill,

Got me on that one. Smile

Gerry
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27303 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2011-07-11 19:34, whall212 wrote:
I have 7 Doug Henning Specials on DVD- converted from VHS - they are amazing! Great seeing Dough Again. Bill

And?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Supply and Demand...
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
lehmannbindery
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of lehmannbindery
Every now and then I've seen them for sale on ebay as DVD's. I have no idea as to their quality or where they are originating from.

Frank
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
As far as I know, all of the Henning specials on DVD are illegal copies.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

lehmannbindery
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of lehmannbindery
Bill,

That would not surprise me. I've suspected this from the way they are listed on ebay, so I haven't bought any of them.

Frank
billmarq
View Profile
Special user
State near Arizona
570 Posts

Profile of billmarq
Copyright volation is a volatile topic as most people seem to believe that intellectual property has no value. Let me simply mention that a screenwriting associate of mine who posted downloadable copies of Hollywood screenplays from produced movies on a free website, and who gained nothing financially, is now the sole defendant in a multimillion dollar lawsuit initiated by Fox Corporation.

I know, I know. That won't happen to a guy helping out a fellow magician.

Doug Henning was cool, though. He did bring magic back to life for a large part of the population.
Honi soit quit mal y pense.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
To an entity that is based upon the sale of intellectual property, for example, the movie industry, giving away downloadable copies of their intellectual property with or without compensation is tantamount to giving away free wheel covers without paying the manufacturer for them. The difference is that IP is intangible and wheel covers are tangible. I'm suprised that a screenwriter would not know this.

Typically, cases like this are given lots of publicity, so nobody else will do it, then the offender settles out of court for a very small amount of damages.

It's estimated that the music industry alone loses about 50% of its royalty money to illegal copies.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

billmarq
View Profile
Special user
State near Arizona
570 Posts

Profile of billmarq
While this is way off topic to the Doug Henning thread, I guess I should advise that the screenwriter case mentioned above was, unknown to me at the time, settled out of court on November 3. The settlement will remain undisclosed, but at the very least the writer has spent thousands of dollars in legal fees over the last several months. Her argument was that she was making legal "fair use" of the copyrighted material for educational purposes. It didn't fly.

Now ... back to all things magical.
Honi soit quit mal y pense.
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
647 Posts

Profile of the fritz
I have been patiently waiting for years for someone who knows more people than I do to obtain rights and compile all of Doug Henning's specials into a DVD set. I guess we have to wait for the right "new" thing to become popular with the public so someone can realize there is LOTS of money to be made by having Doug's specials piggyback off of it. It seems there are very few original ideas in television right now and that networks are creating new versions of old specials in the hopes of gaining both new and old audiences. Unfortunately none of it is done very well. Hawaii Five-O is the last somewhat successful remake I can remember of late. Maybe the time is right to bring Doug back to life! I would love to see all those old 70's and 80's acts performing with him... Donnie and Marie, Shields and Yarnell... I can only dream.
John Cox
View Profile
Elite user
Studio City, CA
494 Posts

Profile of John Cox
Speaking of Henning and his NBC specials, I just posted a nostalgic shout-out to his second special and the vanishing elephant which aired 35 years ago today.

http://www.wildabouthoudini.com/2011/12/......day.html
Please visit my blog

WILD ABOUT HARRY