The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Pasteboard Frolics :: Trouble With Hot Shot Cut (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
wesmgc4life
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of wesmgc4life
Ok, I've got the cut down OK, but when I get to the part where I have to get the top card of the original top packet to a "gun" position, I have trouble then flicking the card.

Please Help
Smile
Wes
Practice, Practice, Practice, until you get it perfect, Then practice some more.
CoolMAgic4U
View Profile
Loyal user
New York
205 Posts

Profile of CoolMAgic4U
It is more of a knack move than anything.

Don't hold the deck to tight..or too loose for that matter....then just push up with your finger...

Good Luck and keep trying..it will work... Smile
CoolMagic4U---aka---Ed Smile
JesseMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Oxnard, CA
124 Posts

Profile of JesseMagic
Do you first push it up and to the left with your first finger, then end by
"shooting it out", by pushing with your middle finger towards you...?
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
Yeah.

The middle finger is more of a curve... more up than in.
DavidYee
View Profile
New user
Manhattan Beach, CA
9 Posts

Profile of DavidYee
Actually, I thought it was the bottom card, not the top card. At least that's the way I've been doing it.

D
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4465 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
You are right, David. It is the bottom card.
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
CLJ
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
281 Posts

Profile of CLJ
I don't use the original Hotshot Cut because in my opinion, it was overly complicated (in my opinion). There is a nice, less complicated version in AoA and one utilizing the Stretch Cut that I always use in Dante King's Practical Methods DVD.
"Watch this, you ready now? Watch this, watch, watch, watch, watch now, watch closely, watch this, you watching now? Watch, watch..." - David Blaine
chappy
View Profile
Special user
764 Posts

Profile of chappy
The Dante King version may be easier but it doesn't look nearly so good as the original. Stick with Daryl’s version. All of the tips above should see you executing perfect hotshots in no time.
FARO FUNDAMENTALS, DETAILS OF DECEPTION and THE DEVIL'S STAIRCASE at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
I had incredible difficulty with this too, and now I can do it like nobody's business. What you have to do is practice the cut a million and one times until you have it down. Then put the cut aside. Take out one card and put it into the middle of a perfectly squared deck. (It's easier to shoot the squarer the deck.) Once it's in the right position, put your middle finger on the corner closest to you on the outside. Then just push up, and do that a million and one times. Then put the two together. It's like magic.
bjiamin
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of bjiamin
If the card sticking out is less than 90 degrees it should be very easy.
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
Naval Air Facility, Atsugi, Japan
1158 Posts

Profile of dynamiteassasin
Try giving it a sharp flick but not too hard. Just a sharp, moderate flick to get it shooting in the air.. Smile
Mauricio Jaramillo
View Profile
Elite user
Colombia
413 Posts

Profile of Mauricio Jaramillo
Yes, stick with Daryl's original version. It may seem complicated at first, but just looks so much better once you've got it than the other versions. The flicking part was the hardest for me back when I was learning, but just bend your middle finger inwards onto the deck quickly and that'll get it flying out after practicing and playing around with the card position. It's a great feeling when you first see that card spinning out like helicopter blades out of the deck into your other hand. The catching is pretty easy and even if you miss it at first, it'll just come to you naturally after a while. Good luck.