The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Step right up! :: Marvins Svengali pitch in London (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
DR STEVE HOSKINS
View Profile
Special user
North Wales, UK.
831 Posts

Profile of DR STEVE HOSKINS
Quote Don Driver;
"I just think English people are very dull".

Thanks a bunch you old red neck, - coming from you that's rich!

Steve
Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
708 Posts

Profile of Leslie Melville
A pretty sweeping statement Don, how many of the sixty million of us have you actually met?

Leslie.
Stories....?....That's telling!
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
More than I care to have.
Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
708 Posts

Sounds a bit evasive - let's have some numbers, ten? fifty? a hundred? several thousand? You'll not be coming over any time soon then? Shame.

Leslie.
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Hahaha...don't think so.
Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
708 Posts

Well that really is a pity. You are denying yourself the opportunity of allowing us to show you that we are not all dull. Although I find it hard to accept that you really believe that to be the case. We have all at some time said or written something that we later wish we hadn't (I know that I have).

Sometimes we can say things tongue in cheek, with a knowing look that lets those listening know that we are just joking. It isn't quite same with the written word. Once the words are out there and are being read, in the main by strangers, we are exposed. There are no nuances of meaning, no reassuring smile and no twinkle in the eye to let the reader know that we jest. And so an otherwise leg-pulling remark becomes an offensive insult.

Your remark came following your appraisal of a one and a half minute video clip of a less than inspiring demonstration in a London store. The young man in question may only have begun working there that week, perhaps he may have been inhibited by the fact that he was being filmed. Was he asked if he minded being filmed? Was he informed that the clip was going to be shown on the internet? We and you don't know the circumstances. And yet you happily expose this performance and invite criticism. How dare you!

Have you never given a below par performance? One that you afterwards felt might have gone better? How would you have felt if someone had filmed it and then had it laid bare for the world to see and criticise?

In you questionable wisdom, you have passed judgement on the basis of a ninety seconds film clip and then further compounded the offence by insulting an entire nation!

I have twice given you the opportunity to withdraw or modify you crass remark. On the first occasion you evaded my question completely and further implied a dislike of the English. Is that REALLY your view? Or was it just a light-hearted jibe that looked worse than was intended?

I am still giving you the benefit of the doubt - please let us know.

Leslie.
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Leslie,You are taking this all too serious.I have one of my best friends that lives in Manchester England and one English A.H. that is my worst enemy that lives in Toronto Canada.

Its okay...

Don
Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
708 Posts

Thanks Don for the clarification - that's all I asked for.

However I still think it was rather unkind of you to 'hang out to dry' an unsuspecting store demonstrator and invite all and sundry to pass comment. If he had himself posted it as a Youtube clip and asked for criticism, that would have been another matter, but he didn't. As I suggested earlier, he may have been new in the job and learning - we have all had to do that. Being exposed in the way you did it was in my opinion, somewhat unfair. Perhaps another time you will consider how hurtful something like this can be.

By the way, your 'worst enemy' in Toronto will take great offence at being called English! He is in fact a proud Scotsman!

Leslie.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1795 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On 2011-12-05 15:09, Leslie Melville wrote:
Thanks Don for the clarification - that's all I asked for.

However I still think it was rather unkind of you to 'hang out to dry' an unsuspecting store demonstrator and invite all and sundry to pass comment. If he had himself posted it as a Youtube clip and asked for criticism, that would have been another matter, but he didn't. As I suggested earlier, he may have been new in the job and learning - we have all had to do that. Being exposed in the way you did it was in my opinion, somewhat unfair. Perhaps another time you will consider how hurtful something like this can be.

By the way, your 'worst enemy' in Toronto will take great offence at being called English! He is in fact a proud Scotsman!

Leslie.

Well Leslie-I lived in the uk for 8 years and I agree with Don on the clip and the English...we were like beacons of light at hndreds of functions etc..
In this tough business of pitching criticism is expected-its how you learn whether you want it or not
speak to our good friend in Toronto.. ML

A crass sense of Humour is essential-your initial comment proved Dons humourous jibe
exactly-English are dull, I met thousands....stiff upper lip,upper class and Biggles to boot..
-you took the bait,hook,line & sinker-Dont worry about it Many of my best friends,family are all english and there dull as ..
Do I remind them-all the time..there dry humour that the english have give it back as well-great stuff..
we are all having fun-this forum is about the hard world of Pitching-
Cheers
Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
708 Posts

Hi Brent,

Here was I thinking that this thread had been exhausted when here we have - a little belatedly - King Don's Knight from the Antipodes riding in with support. I have to say that I am impressed! Eight years in the U.K.! Well then you must indeed have met many thousands. And ALL of them, every one - bar none - even relatives, as dull as.......

However I think that says more about you than them. But hey, it's Christmas so let's put it to bed.

By the way, as a result of a suggestion made by someone else (our good friend in Toronto!) I have discovered that the guy in Hamley's was not actually pitching. This was a filmed promotional video for Hamley's Toy Store. He was just demonstrating for the benefit of the camera. So we were all wrong!

Merry Christmas to all and as Tiny Tim said, "God Bless Us - Every One!"

Leslie
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Thanks Brett...you get it!

Leslie you keep beating a dead horse thus proving just how dull brits are...smile
Don
magicbyfish
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of magicbyfish
Don I have a lot of respect for you , but you wanna call brits dull , kindly specify, that's like me saying your hawaiian, also the difference between the brit buying psyche and the american one is huge, ask qvc ! and to be honest, you wanna criticise it ,, why not come over and show us dull brits how its done , in a uk carboot sale or market on a wet sunday morning !
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
It seems like you brits like to beat it into the ground...chill already.It was a tongue in cheek statement...move on.This subject has gotten quite DULL.

Come up with something new to b*i*t*c*h about...please!
dbuckalew
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of dbuckalew
Q. How do you know when you have a jet plane full of English people?
A. When they turn off the engine you can still hear the whining
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1795 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
[quote]On Sep 29, 2010, sethb wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-09-28,

But if you play it right, you can just roll that big tip over and get two or more pitches out of the same crowd (the ones that could see what you were doing, and then the ones that couldn't). So don't leave just yet folks, we're going to do it all over again for those of you that missed the beginning or couldn't get a good look at what we're doing up here! Stick around and watch the Magic Cards, ladies and gentlemen, it's amazing yet so easy to do once you know the sneaky secret, and the cards do all the work for you . . . . SETH

Ive just reread this last paragraph I missed from a few yrs back and consider that such brilliant advice and at a pitch can double the sales...
can vouch for that so much..thanks again
LeoH
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of LeoH
This "tip" about bringing up the spectators from the back of your last demonstration to become the front row of your next is pure gold! Thanks Seth!

Thanks Brent for resurrection of this thread. I would have missed this advice if you didn't.