The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The International Brotherhood of Magicians! :: Linking Ring June 2010 question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
newbstermagi
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of newbstermagi
Hello! I am a young magician and new to the IBM (I just joined in Feb.) This has been nawing at my brain for a while: can anyone explain the reason for the "Gag ad" on the back of the June 2010 issue? I know this seems trivial, but I know that sometimes a magic dealer will have secret way of getting into the store portion of a website. (I've run into having to click the mouse a certain way, a password that a magician should know, ect.) I thought this could have been one of those "Cryptic" type things that there is legitimacy to it underneath the gag that we have to search for. Of course, it could just be a joke I'm not getting. Again, I apologize if this is trivial, I know this esteemed community has better things to worry about, of course. It's just that I have been so curious over the past few months about this. Thank you so much for your time!
Matt B.
Dick.OShea
View Profile
New user
MA
6 Posts

Profile of Dick.OShea
Newb,

Welcome aboard. A good choice joining the IBM.

What makes you think it's a Gag Ad?
You think $2 is too much for a SuperNatural Levitation secret?
Still though - I'm not sending any money. I'll leave the levitations to the professionals.

Good luck
Dal
View Profile
Regular user
Dallas, TX
124 Posts

Profile of Dal
I've seen the trick and it's no joke...it really works. It just sucks a little.
Dal Sanders International Comedy Magician and Illusionist Based In Dallas, TX

The Society of American Magicians Past National President
M.I.M.C.*
newbstermagi
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of newbstermagi
Thanks guys! I appriciate it! I was just wondering why it said all those things about famous magicians being embarrased they bought it. It just seemed off...is there are reason?
Thanks again!
Newb
Dick.OShea
View Profile
New user
MA
6 Posts

Profile of Dick.OShea
Matt - I see you signed your last post as Newb.
Does it fit your image?

I think that Dal has it right on the trick. Good - but probably cheap.
What else would you expect for that price.

You'll probably have to take the concept and build your own to have it work.

Learn to do that - and you'll enhance your repertoire and be able to keep your props in working order.

Enjoy the Magic - Enjoy the Art - Entertain - and be your best when on stage

Dick
newbstermagi
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of newbstermagi
Thanks guys!
Mr. O'Shea-When you said "Welcome Newb" it stuck! haha!
Thanks...I am still very curious as to what the purporse of the negative reviews on the ad were? I'm no marketing wiz but I don't get the idea of having Mr. Kevin James say "don't waste your money on this; you could be $2 dollars closer to getting a floating rose DVD" It's confusing...I never meant to say the device didn't exist, I was just curious if there was a reason (or maybe a hidden message) behind the negative reviews. That's what led me to thinking it was a gag. Thank you all for the clarification.
Matt "Newb" B.