The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The clothes we wear :: Costume quick change methods? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I must add my two cents on David & Dania.

When they first contacted me to inquire about my flowers for their act, I had no idea who they were. Since then I have seen them perform at circuses, NBA Halftimes, corporate functions and even magic conventions. They blow everyone away. I have worked at least three shows with them backstage and I looks as good backstage as in front.

First the techniques are flawless. The flow of the act is incredible. Every color of every prop (including the my flowers) are very carefully chosen before being put into the act. The factor of this act is the eye candy. It is colorful, flashy and pleasing to the eye. Something most magicians should look at in their act.

I remember when R.G. Smith booked them for their first USA magic convention at the SAM in Cincinnatti. He was worried they would not go over. I assured him they would as I had seen them at least 4 times prior to that for real people. And they were great. They have an act that is light years ahead of other attempts at quick change and an act that one could work his entire life to achieve.

I believe the old style quick change acts were not as bright and colorful. The only reference I have is Michael McGivney who did part of his father's act.

I only hope that magicians don't all jump on this bandwagon. Seems like every sub trunk or zigzag has to have a costume change. And most of them have no reason for the change and look pathetic compared to David and Dania.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18089 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Any new books on this subject released???
I'm still waiting.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
We're waiting Kevin James! Just kidding. keep it a secret- just like mask changing.

HAas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
Sal Amangka
View Profile
Special user
Manila, Philippines
712 Posts

Profile of Sal Amangka
Hi Peeps,

There was a new dvd released last year. It's called "Greater Magic Video Library #59 Yasuda - Costume Change". This is a very good material compared to Miss Monross's video.
Salamangka in Filipino means "Magic"
http://www.thechubstershow.com
thechubstershow@gmail.com
Lee_Hathaway
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Lee_Hathaway
Hi there,

I know this is an old thread, but thought some people might still be interested in this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtkAYyoSZL8

This is the original Russian act, which David and Dania allegedly stole/borrowed/bought. I'm not sure which of these is true, if any. Surely, most acts have sought inspiration from somewhere?
mattmccoy
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of mattmccoy
Not the exact same as David and Dania, but some elements are alike. There are so many ways to do a quick-change. I think there does seem to be a fad to quick-changes now. If you do one, make sure it is really good.

-Matt
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Quick changes don't have to be a fad. It can be an enhancer to just about any act.

There are methods and gimmicks available to allow anyone to add a quick change. We have a number of various methods we use, but only incorporate one or two at any time per show.

It gets a great response from the audience everytime.

All the best,

Rob
the_costumer
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of the_costumer
I build costumes for a living. Thus my screenname. I've done many, what I thought were, quick changes - but, looking back. I've have over a minute or two to do them.

I'm not a magician. I don't aspire to be one. I just really want to know how these dresses are constructed. I've watched the videos over and over and over and see a few different thigs, but still no idea at all how it's done.

I saw a dress for sale online that was about $125. I was going to purchase it but saw on here that someone called it bulking and too big, so I won't.

I have no reason to produce these dresses, or even a use for them. But I do need, not want, to know how they are made. If someone could/would PLEASE tell me, or even hint to me, I'd be forever grateful.

I saw in one video that the lady had a 'hoola hoop' with purple streamers. As she was walking, you could see the purple dress fall to her knees, and on the top the turqoise dress looks like it's overtaken by the new purple one by... sliding... over it? Hymm?

Help me please!!!
RickVancouver
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
697 Posts

Profile of RickVancouver
I would highly recommend the Yasuda DVD for women's quick change costumes, but there is nothing on it for men's costumes.

Rick

Posted: Nov 22, 2010 11:17pm
I recently came across a Chinese website that made a 2 change (not including the original outfit) that sold for about $500 - $600 US for all 3 outfits. Let me know if interested and I'll try to track it down again.

Rick
www.vancouvermagic.com
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.
Lex Schoppi
View Profile
New user
Germany
40 Posts

Profile of Lex Schoppi
http://www.lexschoppimagic.com
LEX SCHOPPI: QUICK CHANGE - SHOWS - COSTUMES - LECTURES - BOOKS - PRODUCTS