The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Periods & styles of Magic :: African magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Profile of J.G. the magnificent
I am currently working in advance on my final for one of my classes. With a group we need to do several things in researching and presenting a nation or tribe. Me and my group have chosen the Zulu tribe of Africa. One of the requirments is to do some sort of visual besides the powerpoint. Such as a ethnic food from what we are researching.

I said I could probably come up with a magic routine of African origin. However I can't recall of any African magic. I know their is the original egypt, french, and italian magic. Along with indian, oriental, and american magic. Anybody know of any african magic? I thought of looking into Magic of The World by I forget who but I figured I could ask hear as well.
Jeremy Gates
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
10001 Posts

Profile of funsway
Check Anthropology sources for your Tribal Groups and learn what their Medicine Men did/do. Many mix conjury and divination with spiritual and medicinal "magic." Often you can figure out what effects are done with sleights or gimmicks -- but in demonstrating these things there is alwasy the possibility of disrespecting religious traditions -- so check that also.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Ms. Merizing
View Profile
Loyal user
Edwin Carl Erwin is digging postholes for
232 Posts

Profile of Ms. Merizing
J. G.,

For inspiration, take a look at the magic & characters performed by Hiawatha. He performs on the PBS documentary The Art of Magic (1998). Hiawatha is the cover story of Genii Magazine Vol. 58, #2, Dec. 1994.

Post how your final project is received at the end of this term.
Pleased to continue finding that all the world's a stage.
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

I will gradually look into it for fun. Yet for the project I realize it is too time consuming. I found information on things that I cannot do in a clasroom. Not even exactly giving hints on the method. For me to find anything I would half to dig way to deep. Someone in the class said they could make some food. That would work better. I need to focus on the whole project. Thanks for the help and feel free to still post replies. P.S. I looked into Ms. Merizing suggestions and Genii Magazine is under construction but the PBS documentary was found. I should check it out. Thanks
Jeremy Gates
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2010-09-30 11:48, Ms. Merizing wrote:
J. G.,

For inspiration, take a look at the magic & characters performed by Hiawatha. He performs on the PBS documentary The Art of Magic (1998). Hiawatha is the cover story of Genii Magazine Vol. 58, #2, Dec. 1994.

Post how your final project is received at the end of this term.

Is Hiawatha still performing these days? As a storytelling magician myself, I really enjoyed his appearance on the PBS special, but I have never seen him elsewhere. That was the first and last time I had heard of/from him. I would like to see more of his effects backed by his oh, so natural talent for weaving them intricately into a wondrous, thought-provoking and poetic web of stories.
bluemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of bluemagic
Look at some of jeff McBride dvd.on the edge and other of his dvd.
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Cool
Jeremy Gates