The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Knots and loops :: What is sash cord (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
keven
View Profile
Regular user
Apple Valley Ca
106 Posts

Profile of keven
In a book about Houdini it says that he will use "SASH CORD" What is this and where do you get your hands on it?

Thanks
Keven
Penn & Teller "God Bless Them"
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Sash cord is the waxed woven rope that was commonly used in sash windows. A weight attached to the window by a pulley (all hidden within the window frame) helps lift the lower sash of the window.

Unwaxed, untreated sash cord is what is now known as Magic Rope, available from any magic dealer.

Depending on what he was talking about, Houdini could have been talking about treated or untreated sash cord. For escapes, the waxed or treated cord might be better since it is less flexible and may be less prone to hold a knot.

Woven, treated clothesline would be similar, but not as thick. Sash cord was about 3/8 inch thick.
keven
View Profile
Regular user
Apple Valley Ca
106 Posts

Profile of keven
Thank You so much . I will have to look into that now I know what it is
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
492 Posts

Profile of DougTait
Whit, you are giving secrets away (your age) when you describe sash cord. The real secret was taking the window frame apart to replace the cord when the cord broke and the cast iron weight fell to the bottom of the window casing.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
James Peters
View Profile
Veteran user
Romford, UK
385 Posts

Profile of James Peters
Doug,

The real problem wasn't how to take the frame apart, it was getting it back together again afterwards that got me! People who can are magicians in my book! Smile

James.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Now I have a catch in my back...
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I know all about sash cord because I used to watch "This Old House." Norm took the frames apart and replaced the cords. You have to tie a knot at the end of the cord to hold the weight.
BTW, I buy my rope from a hardware store. It's sash cord. Comes in 3/8 and 1/4 inch. It's $15 to $20 for 100 feet or yards, can't remember which. Yes, I know that's a big difference.
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
ARgh.... I have two windows to fix this coming weekend... NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO IT. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
keven
View Profile
Regular user
Apple Valley Ca
106 Posts

Profile of keven
Thank you guys. Now I Know what Sash Cord is, and I can fix my window!