The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: From Soup to Nuts :: China Magic? Help, please! (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I was hoping someone who had any purchases from this dealer http://www.52magic.com/product_452.html

could share with me their reliability, reputation etc.

The prices look great, but what is the trade off? I'm leery.

Thanks!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Faster
View Profile
New user
Texas
57 Posts

Profile of Faster
According to an entry in the Genii forum, this is one of the vendors at the 2009 China FISM.

http://www.geniimagazine.com/forums/ubbt......r=199447

They would appear to be legit in terms of selling and shipping what you buy.

The main problem is most Chinese manufacturers and dealers are simply ripping-off copyrighted, trademarked, patented items from elsewhere around the globe. They make cheap imitations and their price reflects the quality. I have no idea if 52magic has morals or not, but from what I can tell in reading about NA, SA and European product inventors, 52magic would be the sole Chinese dealer with morals.

If you gotta have the cheap price and can live with cheap quality, and don't mind denying a sale to the inventor or licensed distributor who holds rights to make and sell, then you might be happy with what you receive.

But I must also say that some legitimate products are originally made in China. The Chinese company is contracted to make the item inventd by someone in another part of the world. The "real" item is exactly the same as the Chinese item. The difference between this and a knockoff is, the Chinese manufacturer is supposed to send 100% stock to a single distributor in NA, SA or Europe. But most Chinese manufacturers make extra stock and sell it themselves at a cheaper price. And take the profits away from the company licensed with the rights to distribute it.

One way to find out: Contact HT Magic and ask them if any Chinese dealers are authorized to sell their products.

Richard
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Thanks for the tip! I think that about answers it. I'm gonna steer clear!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
827 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
About China Magic: They sell fake versions of the real tricks. Some of them are very good quality (and plenty NOT), but it's still a fake so the creator gets no money from the sale. If you are a member of a society like IBM or SAM you probably should steer clear because of your membership oath. However, if the effect is a classic or something that isn't a knock-off effect (like fake Yigal Mesika Tarantulas being sold as real) then go for it.

Instagram: @mattadamsministries

Facebook: www.facebook.com/mattadamsministries
MarkinMadison
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of MarkinMadison
Well put Matt. So many tricks sold "cheaply" on Ebay are Chinese knock-offs, ripping off the inventors. Beware!
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
Quote:
On 2010-09-07 22:56, Faster wrote:
According to an entry in the Genii forum, this is one of the vendors at the 2009 China FISM.

http://www.geniimagazine.com/forums/ubbt......r=199447

They would appear to be legit in terms of selling and shipping what you buy.

The main problem is most Chinese manufacturers and dealers are simply ripping-off copyrighted, trademarked, patented items from elsewhere around the globe. They make cheap imitations and their price reflects the quality. I have no idea if 52magic has morals or not, but from what I can tell in reading about NA, SA and European product inventors, 52magic would be the sole Chinese dealer with morals.

If you gotta have the cheap price and can live with cheap quality, and don't mind denying a sale to the inventor or licensed distributor who holds rights to make and sell, then you might be happy with what you receive.

But I must also say that some legitimate products are originally made in China. The Chinese company is contracted to make the item inventd by someone in another part of the world. The "real" item is exactly the same as the Chinese item. The difference between this and a knockoff is, the Chinese manufacturer is supposed to send 100% stock to a single distributor in NA, SA or Europe. But most Chinese manufacturers make extra stock and sell it themselves at a cheaper price. And take the profits away from the company licensed with the rights to distribute it.

One way to find out: Contact HT Magic and ask them if any Chinese dealers are authorized to sell their products.

Richard

Thanks Richard for pointing that out. All this time I always accuse this type of shop for selling rip-off or counterfeit items. But I might miss a point, that they might sell genuine one as they have some 'stocks' that are not being sent to the creator or distributor.

Even not all, but many magic props might be produced in China due to the cheaper labor and operational cost. Of course, sometimes, inevitably, they could produce more units than their order. So this 'overstock' items then sold to some shops with cheaper price, hence we find some items are cheaper.

But of course I can't deny that some items floating on eBay are might simply just fake or counterfeits.
Magic comes through perception. -HS
swifthand
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of swifthand
Yes, they were selling a few suspect items a while back - a general rule of thumb seems to be that if it's less that 2/3 of the price of the item in other stores, it's probably a fake.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of wally
I do like this super sword thru neck.http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.chinamagictricks.com/images/magictoolbox_cache/df1689c93ff9ef2ad9f13068a3ff0bf9originaloriginalboth.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.chinamagictricks.com/super-sword-thru-neck-p-3725.html&h=354&w=472&sz=66&tbnid=h7LFPvC_t58ErM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=120&zoom=1&usg=__2GwIwGC-M0iDLrpxpAgA4NgaZ1c=&docid=5-nT00FZhsnyqM&itg=1&sa=X&ei=pDPsUIH1KaeW0QWi5IGIAg&ved=0CG4Q9QEwCQ&dur=5748 made in china, BUT why do magic shops not stock this.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Chinese magic shops/makers have ripped off most of my creations (made by Joe Porper). Most are inferior, don't work and break easily.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill08
View Profile
Special user
Montreal
719 Posts

Profile of Bill08
I bought some of their Shim Cards (playing card with a thin metal insert) and I have to say they are TERRIBLE. It looks like a chunk of metal in the center of the back, with a piece from another back glued over it. Looking at the back of the card it is really obvious. Magnetic attractin is only in the very center. I hope I can get my money back but I don't think that will happen.
Bill08
View Profile
Special user
Montreal
719 Posts

Profile of Bill08
Update: I expressed my dissatisfaction with the shim cards and China Magic has agreed to refund my money. I must give them credit for responding promptly and honorably.
magickiddo23
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of magickiddo23
Hi, I recently can across a magic china website, extremely cheap non authentic tricks, super tempting. we all know china has cheap manufacturing, a lot people on the site reviewed that quality was good. anyone here have experience to share? I'm not sure on the reliability of the site and delivery. thanks!
stephane.live
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of stephane.live
Hey guys,

I am a magician from Germany and I ordered at China Magic an orange tree. It arrived with a remote control which doesn't work.
First they sent me 20 times an Email to use alkaline batteries which I did... This remote has a defective contact. But:
These jerks don't care about anything! After asking paypal for help they told me I can send the shipment back but I shall pay
the shipping costs again (about 200 USD!!!)! After a long discussion they push me now to order something else and they send me
a new remote control with the new order, only to save new shipping costs for a small remote!

As a magician I know how hard it is to earn the money and to get shows which are well paid. I just want you guys not to
throw out your hard earned money for such a rubbish. These guys don't feel in any way responsible and the give a !@#$ on you
and your problems you have with their stuff.

I will send this post as a last try to get my money or a remote control to them and keep you updated how they react.

Best regards
Stéphane
Hugo73
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Hugo73
Hey ha ve you tried this shop http://www.approachchina.com/ It look like a scam
DrVG
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of DrVG
I have ordered a decent Racoon from approachina for 7usd. (I lived in China)
Other gimmicks are truly low quality and unfunctional
adrianrbf
View Profile
Regular user
Switzerland
115 Posts

Profile of adrianrbf
Some Chinese sellers advertise tricks with gimmicks and instruction DVDs, but actually only sell download videos. Which is obviously product piracy.

On the other hand, I once ordered a card mat in China, which is of good quality and there is no piracy involved.