The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Good News! :: Gospel Magic and Gimmicked Coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
In the discussion on a Gospel Routine for the Hopping Half, it occurred to me that I had a number of other gimmicked coins for which I had not seen any Gospel routines; Double X, Scotch and Soda, folding Coin, etc.

Who has a Gospel routine for a gimmicked Coin?

You don't have to give the whole routine away - if you don't want to - but it would be great if you could share enough to prompt others in a good direction for their own routine.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1143 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
On Eugene Burger's recent tape series, Voyages, he has a routine using a shell, silver half and a Chinese coin. The routine begins with a piece of paper folded in half. The two coins are placed behind the paper, and the patter goes something along the lines of an American (half dollar) being taught by a eastern mystic (Chinese coin). The student worries that when the teacher leaves, he will be alone (The Chinese coin being put away at this point). When the paper is turned around, there is the teacher and the student still together ("If the teaching is true, you will not be alone.")

As Eugene presents it, this is not a gospel routine by any means. However, I thought that the coins could represent Jesus and His disciples. The significance of Jesus' death and resurection could be illustrated. He left, but sent the Holy Spirit--or-- he said, "I am with you always, even to the end of the age." What I am presenting here is not a finished routine, but it is the kernel of an idea which has good possibilities. Feel free to run with it as you wish.

-------
Regarding Eugene Burger--I am not a fan of his philosophical and religious views, but he is a master of using magic to illustrate a message. As such, I study the way he draws analogies and paints pictures with his words. His actions don't just correspond to his words, they augment them. He touches emotions and makes one think.

That is what we should seek to do with our magic when presenting a gospel routine. Present a routine that touches people on an intellectual and emotional level and presents a clear gospel lesson.

Scott Smile
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Good stuff Scott!

And as the Bible says, we are to be discerning. It doesnt say that we have to be deaf! So we can learn - even from those with whom we don't entirely agree!

And I agree also that we can't simply wave our words around people. If what we say and do does not touch people, how will it have any lasting value?

Thanks for the great start on this thread!

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Steven the Amusing
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco Bay Area
117 Posts

Profile of Steven the Amusing
I have a non-gimmicked routine "He is Not Here!" posted on my site:

http://steven.i.am/magic/gospel_misc.htm

I'd welcome any comments on it. It's impromptu.
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1143 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Steven, I like the basic effect. Simple and easy to follow. Personally, I'd have trouble going from a coin in the fist to a Downs palm and then into a Thumb palm--all while I'm attempting to show my hand empty. If you can do it convincingly--go for it!

I would use a false transfer from right to left. Display the right using the Ramsey Subtlety and transfer to a classic palm. Then the coin can be loaded back into the left using a move by David Roth--(I forget the proper name, but there are a few methods)

Essentially both hands are 'displayed' empty, and the message can remain as is.

Just my $.02 worth.

Scott Smile
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
Steven the Amusing
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco Bay Area
117 Posts

Profile of Steven the Amusing
Scott:

Thanks for the observation. I actually do the effect both ways - with a false transfer, and one handed.

The false transfer I do by holding the coin in the left hand pinched between the fingers and thumb. I'm facing right. I then place the coin against my right palm and slowly close my right hand as I turn my body toward center position and "grasp" the coin with my closed right hand. (You can guess what REALLY happens to the coin). My left hand falls away as I raise the right hand. I then use my left hand to gesture. First holding out two fingers (the guards) below the "tomb". Later one finger (the angel) - all this implies the hand is empty. The left hand falls away casually to my side as the earthquake happens and the hand is opened and shown empty.

In the one hand version, I hold the coin clipped between my first and second finger where it is simple to load it directly into a Downs palm. This method is much more "angley" but seems to amaze folks because there was no place for the coin to go - no other hand, not even a sleeve. From the Downs palm, the hand rotates downward but the thumb stays in place until the point where the coin is about to slide off the flesh on the base of the pad of the first finger. Then the thumb slides fairly quickly inward to clip the coin (the hand is still rotating at this point until the back hand is fully shown to the audience). The right hand then "relaxes" almost to the side and then is raised to point to the "disciples" (fingers of the left hand which are very openly shown). Of course in this process, the coin is dropped from thumb palm to finger palm.

After months of practice, it seemed smooth enough for the real world and indeed I haven't been "caught" yet - but as I noted, it is more angle sensitive than the false transfer method.