The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Not very magical, still... :: If you could look through a telescope... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
The Southern Cross...

Hey, Santa, that was neat about the kid who came back...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Crab Nebula
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
He was a nice kid.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
The event was last night and we had a blast. The weather didn't fully cooperate as it was quite cool and there was a lot of cloud cover. Fortunately, hopes formed in the clouds so I could stop talking about Charles Messier and let people enjoy the eyepiece.

Jupiter is always a big hit. One woman told me she'd never seen a nebula before and was reasonably pleased when she got to see the Ring Nebula. Several people asked for the Andromeda Galaxy (it's a bit of a disappointment for first-time viewers as it just looks like a snowball). We looked at a few star clusters and double stars and had a good night overall.

As a crown to the night, a few dozen bison were out and by the road I saw a big bull moose, a white-tailed deer and a coyote.

It was a good night.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
home-an unremarkable spiral arm of an insignificant galaxy
750 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Mine doesn't need a telescope. Would love to see a Rover/robot land on Titan, drill down into the sub-surface ocean and send down a camera/chemical analysis probe.
Use the FORCE Luke.
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
757 Posts

Profile of karnak
Am I correct that Alpha Centauri is only visible from the southern hemisphere?

It’d be cool to see the sun’s nearest neighbor (and the original destination of TV’s Space Family Robinson).
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
193 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Jun 8, 2023, karnak wrote:
Am I correct that Alpha Centauri is only visible from the southern hemisphere?

It’d be cool to see the sun’s nearest neighbor (and the original destination of TV’s Space Family Robinson).

I think you are correct that it's only visible from the southern hemisphere.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, Alpha Centauri is a double star system with it's partner Proxima Centauri. And as they revolve around each other they alternate as the closest star to our Sun.

I remember watching the Robinsons on 'Lost In Space' when I was a kid. Loved that show! Although now, it looks ridiculously cheesy.
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3531 Posts

Profile of gaddy
This thread reminds me that I got a smartphone first back in 2010, back when "Google Sky" was new and wonderful.

It still is.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*