The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Laser cutter ideas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
(a)ndy
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
164 Posts

Profile of (a)ndy
I have access to a laser cutter next month and wondered if anyone has any ideas for magic props that require or would benefit from a laser cutter to make them.

I have thought about cutting shapes in playing cards and would appreciate further inspiration, but I wondered if there is anything unusual that would be fun to make.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Square Circle
Blades for Mismade Girl
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
(a)ndy
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
164 Posts

Profile of (a)ndy
Thanks for the ideas, Clinton.

What about something for a parlour type setting? Is there a prop that would benefit from either precision cutting, or even laser etching, on a surface?
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I have always thought that a nicely laser-etched Square Circle would be cool (something like a Rice dragon design...).
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
I have seen some real neat marquetry and inlay done with them. Something where you need to hide a secret hole or button could be worked into the art work.

Gimpy
brody
View Profile
Inner circle
Omaha
1313 Posts

Profile of brody
Harbin folding side table
(a)ndy
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
164 Posts

Profile of (a)ndy
Great ideas, thanks. The Harbin table would be nice but don't have plans for that. I would like a copy of the Harbin book.
brody
View Profile
Inner circle
Omaha
1313 Posts

Profile of brody
Ah, it's in the Table Book published by Magic Inc...couple of others, too, I think. Phoenix maybe?
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2209 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
I have a laser cutter and you can do some amazing things with it. I made a very ornate Gung Ho Box palm size on it. All the pieces were cut and artwork laser engraved into it.

If anyone ever needs anything laser done, give me a shout.
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2010-09-09 18:09, Mad Jake wrote:...If anyone ever needs anything laser done, give me a shout.

Where did I get the idea you are in FLorida?
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Man I have got to get me one of these things.
First thing that springs to my mind for magic props is box latches. I would etch me some box latches.
Maybe a cool lamp base to use in a lightbulb effect.
I can think of a million Steampunk inspired gadget effects. Thought transferrance device for mentalism routines.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers