The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Looking out for our own :: Chicago area's Howard Liberman (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
Howard Liberman is a long-time close, trusted, and valued friend. In the Chicago area, he has always been Magic's friend. If there are "givers and takers" in the world, Howard was always the "Giver." Howard has always been the first to drop what he was doing and help out anyone he knew when needed. Howard has always been like that; anyone that knows Howard can tell you stories of his generosity. Howard is the type of guy that, if in casual conversation, heard that you liked a certain type of movie a box would show up with dozens of titles from his personal collection with a note, "Thought you might like a few of these . . . " If Howard heard someone griping about their mouse, keyboard, or video card-- it wasn't rare that a surprise box would come in the mail in a few days, with a gift of a few mice and keyboards for you. It's just the way Howard always has been.

If Howard heard of a fellow magician in the area having a run of bad luck, job problems, or health problems . . . Howard was the first guy to speak up at the next club meeting informing members of what was going on, starting fundraisers and so forth always reminding everyone that we need to "step up and take care of our own." It was just "typical Howard," always the first to help, always the first to step up. That's the way Howard has always been. Howard defines the true "giving person."

Howard has loved magic and I remember endless hours of shuffling cards here at my house, at conventions and so forth, shuffling cards and debating the fine points of magic until the the wee hours, or until dawn as the case may be. As you might be able to tell, Howard was a consummate "people person" and a great close-up worker-- he knew how to get a strong reaction. Howard just loves people and it has always shown through brightly.

This afternoon, I received a horrible call from Howard's wife, Tammy. Howard has been battling stomach cancer all year and things have not gone well. The cancer quickly spread to his spine and beyond, not stopping for a moment. Tammy and their daughter, Elizabeth, are at Howard's side right now, but Howard has been receiving hospice care and things are beyond grim. There is no other way to say it. If you have been trying to get a hold of Howard and he hasn't gotten back with you, know that he hasn't been able to use a phone or read an e-mail for some time.

So, for those of you that have had the chance to know and appreciate Howard over the years, please take the time to say a prayer for Howard Liberman, Tammy, and Elizabeth when you can.
Simon Lovell
View Profile
V.I.P.
506 Posts

Profile of Simon Lovell
I second everything you say about Howard, Randino. I'll treasure the times I spent with him ... full of laughter and fun. I'll never forget the time he spent hours with me on the phone helping me fix a computer problem I had and being amazed when, a few days later, a package containing tons of new software arrived as a present from him.

A truly wonderful human being.

It is awful to know that he is in so much pain and feel helpless at being unable to help him in the same way that he has helped countless others.

Simon
Glenn Morphew
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
486 Posts

Profile of Glenn Morphew
Howard and I were best friends. We got together almost every weekend for years. Then, for some unexplainable reason, about 14 months ago Howard became almost impossible to reach. Our plans to get together would always get derailed for one reason or another. About a month ago he called me and explained why, he had been battling stomach cancer. Howard chose to deal with this battle privately. The news was devastating to hear, but he told me treatment was going well and we would get together in the upcoming week. Unfortunately, (I didn't know it until yesterday) things took a turn for the worse, so we never did have the chance to get together.

I think I went into shock when my phone rang yesterday because I thought it was Howard calling me to get together but it turned out to be his wife Tammy. She told me if I wanted to see him I needed to get to the hospital right away because he didn't have much time.

To call Howard generous is an understatement, especially in my case. He was so kind and so generous to me over the years that it boggles my mind. He got me my first magic job. He worked with me to make my magic better. He took me under his wing. He educated me. He authored all of my lecture DVDs. Five years ago he got me up at 3:30 in the morning the day after Thanksgiving so we could go shopping for computer components because he wanted to build a computer for me. He fixed it for me every time I'd screw it up. The list could go on and on. He always made me laugh. Howard gave more to me than I could ever give back to him in ten lifetimes. And, he did it all so willingly, because that's who Howard was.

After spending several hours with him yesterday (most of which he slept) It was time for me to leave him alone with his wife and his two daughters, so I kissed him on the forehead and said goodbye as he slept. At 8:35 pm I was walking around wishing I would have had the wherewithal and composure to simply thank him for being such a great friend to me for so many years.

After a moment I decided to send a text message to his phone in hopes that Tammy would get it in time. The text said, "Tammy if you have the chance would you please tell Howard I said thank you for being such a great friend to me." A minute later I received a text back saying... "We told him and he opened his eyes and smiled."

I thank God for letting me get that final message to my dear friend. I can picture the scene vividly in my mind. I am so thankful that in my final text message I could convey to him exactly how I felt, how grateful I was and most of all that the last thing I did for him made him smile.

I am very fortunate to have so many fond memories, good times and laughter to reflect on when I think about my dear friend.

Howard was truly one of a kind and I will miss him dearly.
Visit www.povmagician.com for
The Rub-a-dub Deluxe Suite
The Morphew One Hand Top Palm
Bob's 3 Shell Boot Camp and more...
Tom Dobrowolski
View Profile
Special user
661 Posts

Profile of Tom Dobrowolski
Howard was a good and supportive magic friend of mine for the past 20 years or so. I first met him when he attended a magic convention (the Chicago Magic Bash) I threw in 1985. Since then I wouldn't see him all that often but every now and again he'd stop by the shop (Midwest Magic) on a Saturday to hang out and shoot the breeze for a while. He'd tell a few jokes and we'd exchange some magic ideas and have a pleasant afternoon. We hadn't seen Howard recently and were just commenting about that. That wasn't all that unusual as sometimes there would be a while between his visits and then today I heard this truly sad news.

I'll never get to to see him walk through the door on a Saturday tell a couple of jokes and share a few good ideas again and I'll miss him.

Howard is one of the good guys in magic.
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
Howard left us Monday evening and is now in a better place.

Howard's wife, Tammy, asked me to pass along the following for his many friends:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the information regarding the Memorial for Howard. Please feel free to forward it on to anyone you think may be interested:

Thursday, August 26 from 6 pm to 8 pm at

Rolling Knolls Country Club
11N260 Rohrssen Rd
Elgin, IL 60120
Telephone: (847) - 2888

In lieu of flowers, we are asking that people consider making a donation in his name to:

Wellness Place

1619 West Colonial Parkway
Palatine, Illinois 60067
Telephone (847) 221-2400

This is a non-profit organization that provides numerous services to cancer patients and

their families at no charge. Howard attended their Men’s Support Group which provided valuable

assistance to him.

Thank you,

Tamara
Docc Spurlock
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago & Arizona
165 Posts

Profile of Docc Spurlock
I will miss Howard terribily... We were friend for many years, getting together at Steve Gronowski's house in Barrington. There was always 20 or so magicians there. Every time I saw Howard, he would hug the hell out of me just for being a friend.

I never had sessions with Howard for I was not that much into cards, but we always shared the good times. Good bye old friend and may we meet in the other place.
Bob Coluzzi
"CREATOR OF THE FLOATING FLAME TO DOVE"

If you are always looking back you can't see what's in front of you so when you bump your head again you have no one to blame but yourself!
TMurphy
View Profile
New user
Shorewood, IL
1 Post

Profile of TMurphy
Howard was one heck of a guy. My sympathy goes out to his familiy and other friends. He will be deeply missed.
Good Luck & Keep Smiling!
MarkSpitzer
View Profile
New user
WV
51 Posts

Profile of MarkSpitzer
Howard was friends with the professionals, and also to the "happy hobbyists" like me.
He and I had discussed his cancer early on, and it was clear that his attention was clearly on his family and caring for them, and not on himself.
He was incredibly generous, with both materials and his time and encouragement.
I really am at the point of tears here... I am now in a medical clinic in Equatorial Guinea, missed his service, and was reviewing just earlier today the only magic materials I brought with me: The PH TA complete set he sent me, out of the blue.
I can no longer thank him for his support, and it breaks my heart.
We have lost a true friend.

Please relay to the family, if you can, my deepest sympathy and condolences.

Mark A. Spitzer, M.D.
canaday
View Profile
Special user
Florida
746 Posts

Profile of canaday
I never met Howard but we emailed several times and he called me one evening for a very entertaining conversation. Our mutla firend, Mark Spitaer, got us introduced so thank you, Mark. It was an honor to have Howard as an email buddy for far too short a time.
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
Randy –

Would you be so kind as to post the note below at The Magic Café.

I’m so sorry it has taken me so long to write this note to thank you and all of Howard’s fellow magicians for the kind words posted on The Magic Café and for attending his memorial service. The number of people who turned out to say their final farewell to Howard was very overwhelming for the children and I. If we were unable to personally speak with you, please accept our apologizes, as we tried to meet with as many people as possible. Thank you for sharing your stories about Howard and performing magic in his honor. I know Howard would be deeply touched by your kindness, just as we were. Howard was a special man who will truly be missed by all those who were blessed to have him touch their lives.

Howard’s eldest daughter, Kymm is interested in preserving stories about her father as a keepsake for her and sister, Elizabeth, both personal and relating to magic. I would appreciate it if any of you have any stories you would like to share, please send them to Kymm at thegirl@kymmbang.com.

Thank you,

Tamara Liberman