The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Good News! :: Gospel mentalism? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
marklock
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of marklock
Lee,

I have a history of performing for a wide variety of denominations in the US. I've performed in Baptists (all varieties), Methodist, Lutheran, Nazarene, Seventh Day Adventist, Evangelical Free, Presbyterian, and the list continues. Most of them are fairly conservative in nature.

I'm pretty sure I have performed in most of their buildings that would be called "the sanctuary" or main gathering place for worship services. Like Vlad, I've encountered problems with cards more than anything (because you know ... cards lead to dancing Smile ) But I've had problems with that LESS so over the last decade.

I think everyone here has contributed excellent advice about checking with the clergy, minister, rabbi, priest in charge to be sure what you are doing is appropriate.

Typically, I begin my program with a brief disclaimer, this just puts people at ease and I have found it did not hinder the program at all. Just like being in a theater where you know you're watching a play, people will just "go there" with you if it's good, and I imagine you are. I have done seances in these locations, but they were part of a larger context that discussed Biblical doctrines of the supernatural, so it would most likely be different than you set up.

Q&A ... hmmm. I have done this in some fairly conservative churches, but I am fairly well known to the audiences I present as an author and minister, so I may be able to do somethings a "stranger" may not.

Your sensitivity in simply asking the question, leads me to believe you will be able to navigate this opportunity without issue.
espmagic
View Profile
Special user
981 Posts

Profile of espmagic
Marklock -

Thank you for the thoughts - I understand that there can be "bumps in the road" if presented as anything other than entertainment, and I hope that I can successfully navigate them - after all, if dancing follows cardplay(!), then after my show there might be...

Lee
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
I presented Cody Fisher's Comedy Confabulation during my recent crusade in Chicago. It's a mind blower, but the edge is taken off of the "mind reading" by it being a comedy routine.

Richard Osterlind, who is about the best there is, doesn't make any claims to his ability, he creates "mystery" and if you say it's done through supernatural means, it's no longer a mystery...

So as ministers and entertainers who use mentalism, we are creators of mystery. I've used everything from Devin Knight's Glass box, to another type of Headline prediction, to confabulation...I do these in what would consider very conservative churches.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Well spoken Terry,

My advice of course also reflected Lee's question about the sanctuary itself. A priest - Orthodox or Roman would forbid the performance of magic, mentalism, or hypnotism within the sanctuary itself. The church hall is another story. The Protestant denominations as you know will vary widely in their view of what the meaning of church is and what constitutes sanctuary and how that space should be used. Of course, this is not a theological forum, so, I will not address that.

Thanks for your excellent post. I wager that Lee has a better understanding of Christianity, West and East Smile

+In Christ
Vlad
espmagic
View Profile
Special user
981 Posts

Profile of espmagic
I do now, and my thanks to all who have both educated and enlightened me!

Lee