The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Finding a new home for my doves (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Moth
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Moth
I'm hoping I can get some advice -

Through a few strange coincidences, I ended up being the home for a mating pair - both trained, both working in a show I was working on.

And, through some poor calendar management I ended up with another pair...so mom, dad, and the kids. The kids are just about ready to start training. Sex unknown, though they should be a male and a female also...

Although I've worked with just about every air purifier I can lay my hands on, and I really do like having them around, I'm having some breathing problems (we live in a rather small apartment), and my own gig requires me to travel frequently...I simply think I can't be the home for these lovely birds.

I'm based in Chicago, and I've contacted some folks I know here for leads, but I'm coming up empty. I tried a few pet stores (eek), but no takers. I don't want to see them end up somewhere miserable, but I'm afraid they can't stay with me much longer.

Any advice on how to go about it?
Thanks!
Amanda
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4865 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Amanda, if you're having breathing problems the it's best to find new homes for your friends. Small apartments are not good for humans and avian to coexist.

Here are a few questions that might help you find a new home.

If I read your post correctly, you have 4 doves.

1. Are you looking to relocate all 4
2. Are you looking to sell them or just find a good home
3. If you are selling, how much are you looking for. I'm assuming you want to sell the pairs together.
4. Are you willing to ship them to a prospective new owner
Where the magic begins
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Sad to hear of your problems. Soon after my son was born (18 years ago, whew!), he was diagnosed with asthma, and it was a no-brainer that the birds had to go. I think I had 11 or 12 doves and one Nanday Conure at the time. One of many times I've re-invented myself as a magician.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
Sent a PM
Moth
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Moth
Thanks for the replies!

To answer dave's questions -

I need to relocate all four of them.

I am not looking to sell them, merely to give them away to a good home. I didn't pay for them myself, and they've given me enough value in just doing their jobs. So, they are free.

It's probably smartest if the older pair stays together (they are 6 years old). The younger ones could be separated and I'm sure they would be fine. They probably shouldn't mate with each other, anyway...

Yes, I am willing to ship! I don't think that will cost me an arm and a leg, tho I need to look into it.

They are all white ringnecks.

thanks!
a
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
Sent another PM... hope to chat soon
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Amanda, I'm probably too late, but I have been looking for a male for a while. I was hoping to raise some baby doves but I ended up with 4 females. I would be interested in the older pair.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Amanda,

I sent you an email.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
If you can not find anyone to sell them to, try giving them to a pet shop or bird rescue association.