The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: What do I do with this? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
MagicMitch
View Profile
New user
New City, NY
71 Posts

Profile of MagicMitch
Hey everyone, I bought this a while ago, 'cause it looked cool, and rediscovered it recently. I was looking at it and thought that there must be someway I can use it in a magic trick. Any ideas?
Alex Rapattoni
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle, Wa
229 Posts

Profile of Alex Rapattoni
Picture? Or description?
Weird is part of the job.
MagicMitch
View Profile
New user
New City, NY
71 Posts

Profile of MagicMitch
Sorry, I don't think the pictures uploaded. Maybe this will work?
This is the whole thing:
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0d626......y%3D480/

And here is the head of the walking stick:
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0d626......y%3D480/
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Pretty cool... You might be able to use it as a prop while you are thinking about a trick to use it in.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Hmm... could you detach the head of the cane and attach it in some way to a vanishing cane to silk? If it was a big enough silk, you could then produce a live bird from out of the silk. Smile
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
That looks like a hand carved Walking Stick. Not much I can see it being used for in magic, sorry.
MagicMitch
View Profile
New user
New City, NY
71 Posts

Profile of MagicMitch
The head of the walking stick does detach, so I might try something along the lines of Cyberqat's idea. I was also thinking about trying to cut a wand shape out of the inside of the cane, and re-attaching the head, so I could have a wand-in-a-case like thing. But, I have no idea how I could do that...
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Have someone bore the appropriate size hole, and make a wand to fit it (or vice-versa)...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
It's a door stop, when you load and unload from the car.
brody
View Profile
Inner circle
Omaha
1313 Posts

Profile of brody
Get a DualControl and levitate/adhere it to your hand, etc.
MagicMitch
View Profile
New user
New City, NY
71 Posts

Profile of MagicMitch
Brody- That's a fantastic idea! I never thought of that. How much does a DualControl cost?
brody
View Profile
Inner circle
Omaha
1313 Posts

Profile of brody
No idea. There's a DVD out by some British gent (name escapes me [Michaels?]) that does all sorts of crazy stuff with the Dual Control. The gaff you can actually make.

It's also in Tarbell 7.
MagicMitch
View Profile
New user
New City, NY
71 Posts

Profile of MagicMitch
Cool, thanks!
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
Yes, it's available on DVD as "Dual Control Revisited" by Michael Vincent, and it's listed as "Alan Alan's Rising Card" on page 108 of Tarbell, Volume 7. The gimmick is also used in "The Mesmerized Cards" and "The Balancing Coins," which can be found on pages 112 and 265, respectively, in the same Tarbell volume. L&L was giving away a free DVD of effects using the gimmick at one time (with orders, of course), but I don't believe it's still available.
I have a hard time believing this gimmick would be very useful in regards to a magnetized cane effect unless the cane were very light, and even then it may be unwieldy. A more appropriate set-up might be as used in "The Enchanted Cane" on page 52 of Tarbell, Volume 8, and the cane should be light for this as well.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�