The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Shuffled not Stirred :: Tamariz Stack (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2539 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
A crib sheet is a reasonable short term solution. I know top mentalists who use this method, and it's hard to beat.

You keep looking for an 'easy' solution, a formula that will let you convert a card to a number and a number to a card. Here's a reference to one solution to this problem. I can think in octal, so this one seems easy to me. http://littleegyptmagic.com/courses.htm (Richard's stack)

Psst... Want to know a secret? Learning a memorized deck is even easier than using a formula! It would take you less time to memorize a deck than to become proficient with a formula. (Trust me; I've approached this problem both ways, and I initially made the same mistake that you're making.)
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
Quote:
On 2011-08-31 18:53, BarryFernelius wrote:
A crib sheet is a reasonable short term solution. I know top mentalists who use this method, and it's hard to beat.

You keep looking for an 'easy' solution, a formula that will let you convert a card to a number and a number to a card. Here's a reference to one solution to this problem. I can think in octal, so this one seems easy to me. http://littleegyptmagic.com/courses.htm (Richard's stack)

Psst... Want to know a secret? Learning a memorized deck is even easier than using a formula! It would take you less time to memorize a deck than to become proficient with a formula. (Trust me; I've approached this problem both ways, and I initially made the same mistake that you're making.)

What is this 'Little Egypt University'?
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
2539 Posts

The course list for the Little Egypt University was part of the Back to School Issue of the Little Egypt Gazette. Steve Bryant published 27 issues of the Little Egypt Gazette online back in the 1990s, and they are still available online. Steve also publishes stuff on his website, littleegyptmagic.com, about once a month.

Little Egypt refers to the southern tip of Illinois where you'll find towns with names like Cairo, Thebes, and Karnak.
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1198 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
Barry - excellent! Exactly what I was looking for. I hear what you are saying about it being easier to bite the bullet and just do a memorization but 1) I am stubborn 2) I love math 3) I also think in octal/hex and 4) see reason 1.

Thanks all of you for your suggestions and encouragement - but again Barry - perfect!
Lakewood, Ohio
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
2539 Posts

Don't say I never gave you anything.

-Leonard Bernstein
megaspin88
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of megaspin88
I recently got a hold of Tamariz's book and memorized the stack with flash cards and the imemorize iPhone app. Getting into the stack in NDO is just great. I prefer the Faro method meaning one has got to nail perfect Faros, which is not impossible. Got it perfect with 6 weeks of constant practice.

Having said that, this book is not for beginners. In many of the tricks he mentions for eg. Look for the King of Diamonds (those who memorized the deck would know the position) and cut below it. Ok here's my question how do you guys "look for the card and cut to it" without being obvious. Estimation is one way but it's really hard to be exact as one card difference can really screw things up. would be cool if you could share ideas through PM. Thanks
Jeff Christensen
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Jeff Christensen
Estimate or do a pass, peek and then adjust as need be by double undercuttIng the correct number of cards. Using a marked deck saves you from having to do a peek. Aronson suggests using a one way deck with a pattern of cards such as having 5th, 10th, 15th, etc. reversed. Estimate and then fan the cards to see how you did and adjust accordingly.
megaspin88
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of megaspin88
Jeff. Thanks for the advice. While waiting for a reply I was practicing estimation on the Tamariz stack. While not sure fire I can get within + - 2 to 3 cards most of the time. I might just try to practice estimation till I'm + - 1 card to the selection. Just don't like the peek as its so obvious even if it's motivated.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4206 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Simon Aronson calls it "cut and glimpse", and adjust if necessary. Don't worry about the peek, it's invisible if you do a square around move which is motivated after a cut. You will get better with practice. Relax, be natural and try to get the idea merely toying with the cards. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
megaspin88
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of megaspin88
Jan. thanks for the advice. Will practice!
AutarchicFlux
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of AutarchicFlux
Having worked with both methods myself, I can attest that although something like the BCS can seem like a dream come true at first, a memorized stack is ultimately both more versatile and easier to work with. Plus, Mnemonica contains some of the best memorized deck material you're going to find anywhere.
murrari
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of murrari
Both Simon Aronson and Juan Tamariz have created excellent routines for their stacked deck work. Some are stack dependent, others are not. I use the Aronson Stack (the stack I was first introduced to) but apply a lot of Tamariz's routines to the stack. If anyone has not read the work of both Aronson and Tamariz (there are others too!), irrespective of which stack you use, then you've definitely missed out.

P.S. The routine that first piqued my interest in learning a 'mem' deck was Simon Aronson's "Past-Present-Future" from Simply Simon. I was shown this many many years ago and it blew my mind! I still regard it as one of the best mem deck routines.
Andrew Murray
M.I.M.C. Gold Star
AndrewMurrayMagic

DON'T WAIT FOR INSPIRATION is my brand new e-book with 10 new routines.

APTITUDE is my first PLATINUM e-book with 10 new routines + 'SIGNS' bonus.

PLATINUM MEMBERSHIP is available here.

DNA
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4206 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Quote:
On 2012-08-15 08:58, murrari wrote: ....
P.S. The routine that first piqued my interest in learning a 'mem' deck was Simon Aronson's "Past-Present-Future" from Simply Simon. I was shown this many many years ago and it blew my mind! I still regard it as one of the best mem deck routines.

Yes!!! Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
To Barry:

There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those that understand binary numbers and those that don't.

Think in octal? My god, what are you a math professor?

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4206 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Smile Smile
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
2539 Posts

Dennis,

I'm just a friendly, ordinary Zen techno-geek, who programmed his first IBM mainframes using punchcards back in 1964. I was seven years old at the time. Smile

-Barry

-Leonard Bernstein
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Barry, my jaw dropped.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Gary Plants
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of Gary Plants
No one has mentioned the Bart Harding stack for a math based stack.

IMO, none of the math based stacks are even close to a true memorized deck. BUT, they do allow someone who is not willing to put in the time and effort to memorize a stack to do SOME of the mem deck effects.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4206 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Keep the mem deck work better for us... Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de