The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Right or Wrong? :: Carnival Cruises are Exposing Magician’s Secrets (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
Again, it comes down to the competence of the teacher - if the class leaves with a higher appreciation of magic as an art or have gained a new ability, then it is education. If the class leaves knowing only how a trick is done, it is exposure.

To the first point, I never harp on the secret thing in my classes. I discovered - I don't have to. If someone learns a skill, if someone now has the ability to share wonder, they feel a sense of ownership of that skill/ability and protect it on their own. Every now and then I will have someone ask about telling or sharing, and I reply simply, "This secret is yours now. You can use it to entertain people and bring wonder to them. Or, you can give it away and your friends will think, 'well, that was just a trick.' I can't tell you what to do - you have to decide for yourself."

Most magicians who "teach," expose - because, to them, magic is only about secrets. That's all they CAN teach.

But then again, a lot of magicians suck. Is it fair then to say all magic shows suck?

Why then must we insist that all teaching is exposure?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21282 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2010-08-26 19:16, edh wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-08-26 17:56, Dannydoyle wrote:
The problem is it is not judged on a level playing field. Not by a longshot. It seems nobody really has well defined lines drawn. The goal posts move according to how they "feel" at the time. Not the best way to do things really.

...and they also move according to who is doing the exposure.

I left that part out, you are right. Vernon in his cups and balls routine springs to mind.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Gavinsky
View Profile
New user
E.Yorks England
4 Posts

Profile of Gavinsky
Exposure to those not really interested is usually forgotten after a few weeks. Most people can't remember jokes because they don't have a genuine desire/determination to do so. I suspect they'll get home, maybe show it to family, forget how to do it properly, make it all go wrong, expose it themselves and put it in a drawer which will be spring-cleaned the following year. For the odd one or two, it might spark a new hobby or even more. It does seem a tacky way to go about things but for the person involved it's their living I guess.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21282 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Wow a three year old discussion.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Well, we are all three years older.

Maybe we're wiser?

HAAAA!