The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: David Regal's Red Streamlined Convertible (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Just watched this and worked through it.

Great assembly and a great lesson in motivation!

I know some people have reservations about carrying around two decks. Another idea might be to have four Kings of the same back color as your deck but perhaps they have large Xs on their backs or stickers or dirty pictures or whatever you fancy. Something to make them "special" cards which don't belong in a deck because they've been altered.

Keep them in a wallet and pull them out for this trick.

Not as pure or impromptu as David's handling but if you don't want to carry around two decks but still want to do the trick, might be an idea...
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Great idea. My pockets tend to be overloaded anyway, so I might try that to conserve some pocket space.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1355 Posts

Profile of Stucky
Quote:
On 2010-08-28 11:18, Cameron Francis wrote:
Just watched this and worked through it.

Great assembly and a great lesson in motivation!

I know some people have reservations about carrying around two decks. Another idea might be to have four Kings of the same back color as your deck but perhaps they have large Xs on their backs or stickers or dirty pictures or whatever you fancy. Something to make them "special" cards which don't belong in a deck because they've been altered.

Keep them in a wallet and pull them out for this trick.

Not as pure or impromptu as David's handling but if you don't want to carry around two decks but still want to do the trick, might be an idea...

Could always carry a deck that is half blue cards and half red cards. Glue the front of a blue box on the back of a red box and make up your own jokes and justification from there,
Official Thread Killer
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I picked this up last week. I LOVE it! Another masterpiece David. I was so shocked when I read no gaffs. Am surprised how easy it is. I also really love your way of motivating sleights. Very reminscent of The Workers series. Well done David.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
It IS masterpiece and a showpiece, too! Sadly, some people don't recognize that.
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
828 Posts

Profile of David Regal
So happy you like it. It's become a favorite routine of mine. Every time I do it I feel the magic (I'm not kidding). I'm actually surprised by what I see happening due to the structure and economy of it all.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I love effects like that! (And they are rare)
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3784 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Just posted my official review Here!. Great job David. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2010-08-08 18:31, Vlad_77 wrote:
I am a big fan of yours David. At the moment, I am studying Walt Lees' approach on this called My Blue Ac-es published in Pabular. I watched your presentation, and as usual, simply beautiful. But, I want to try Lees' version as well. If it doesn't "feel" as clean, YOU get more of my money Smile

Ahimsa,
Vlad

2006 Lecture Notes © by Walt Lees; Off-Colour Solo Aces Again is an updated version of his odd backs assembly initially published in the February 1975 issue of "Pabular"
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Medifro
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami
1261 Posts

Profile of Medifro
Hello, here's a quick review:

I like assemblies and they have a place in my list. The trick is an ace assembly, if you like assemblies, you'll love this. If you don't, you're probably wont be buying the DVD to start with. Many people even wondered why this assembly got its own DVD. The thing about assemblies is unless you are familiar with the various methods, its easy to overlook the strong points in a particular method and how they can be used to squeeze out the ful potential of a trick. This is one of the reasons why performing ace assemblies well can be challenging. I say this is because having studied my share of assemblies, Red Streamlined Convertible is, to my knowledge, THE best slow motion odd-color back method in the literature. Out of the versions I know of, David Regal's Red Streamlined Convertible (RSC from now on ) is the ONLY one that ends with a CLEAN display of the kings at the end.

I think when it comes down to this particular trick,comparing it with other published methods is essential. I'm not familiar with the original Lin Searles method and I forgot Dan Harlan's version but I do recall that it had a very bad moment. David Solomon's version with aces with difference colored backs is awesome but the setup is demanding. How does RSC compare to the other ones ( namely Bruce Cervon's Red Backed Aces, Max Maven's Picasso Aces, Walt Lees My Blue Ac-es)

Setup: NONE. The very small setup is done on the fly. Unlike all other versions, just open the two decks and you fly from there. No need to carry a packet (Cervon or Maven) though you certainly can, or prepare the two decks in advance ( Walt Lees).

The Layout: The spot cards are dealt THEN the kings are inserted under each packet. This, along with the how everything is structured, strongly gives the impression that the kings are isolated from the random cards packet throughout the layout. Best layout compared to the other versions.

Vanishes: Very similar to Bruce Cervon's version. If you're familiar with Picasso or My Blue Ac-es chance are you already updated the handling.

Clean up: This is where RSC is better than all other versions. The kings can be displayed cleanly at the end ( as seen on the trailer ). There are only 4 kings involved.

Presentation: You see 2 performances of the trick ( in the castle & Dean Dill's barber shop ), the patter might not be for everyone, just check the trailer.

The hallmark of this routine is the structure. Every move is covered, leaving impression that its just squeaky clean. Hands down the best method I know for this plot.

Want to do an odd-color back assembly with normal cards? Get this. Highly recommend.

~ Feras
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I've enjoyed many of David Regal's takes on classic plots and the demo for this looks very good.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3054 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
This is a great assembly. You don't NEED two decks to do it, but it does make for a nicer presentation in my opinion. I've had a lot of fun doing this one.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I keep meaning to pick this up. Always have LOVED David's thinking in his magic.