The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Created my first scratch built prop (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
I've done things like make zombie gimmicks and modify props in the past, but I just completed my first prop that I conceived of myself and built from scratch.

It's a production/disappearance box I've dubbed the "hypercube" or "4 dimensional cube." My wife is making me the load bag (hopefully tonight), and then it'll be ready to use.

I'll post a demo video when it's ready, and I'd love some feedback. It's very possible I've recreated something someone else has done. It's closely related to a few well known devices (temple production screen, and a way of loading a rabbit I read when I was a kid), but I've not seen this particular configuration before.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Can you post of pic of your box on the Café in this sting? Interested in seeing what you have come up with.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Absolutely, Bill. I'd love some feedback.

Question, should I post a "reveal" or not? This is an open thread.

That's why I figured I'd post a demo. I can do a bunch of single shots, too, though, that take it through the stages of performance if that's useful/of interest.

My wife pinned up the bag last night, so I'm hoping it will be done enough to demo in another day or so.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Alright, I uploaded pictures of a little demo to Picassa, links below.

Please keep in mind that this is a prototype, built under less then ideal conditions. Its not the prettiest thing in the world right now, but it is fully functional.

It can handle a large load (much larger then shown) that does not have to be flatly compressible. It can also be used as a vanish box, but in that case the end handling is very slightly different.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?un......at=email
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
[decided this wasn't necessary.]
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Since my brother asked this, I should probably state that it is self-contained. Nothing is coming out of the table or is loaded from my body. The load arrives with the box.

It does however require a certain simple and common environmental setup to facilitate the illusion.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Nice....Hypercube!! That would be popular around here if you painted it up like a stove and produced a catfish dinner.
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2010-08-05 22:18, tabman wrote:
Nice....Hypercube!! That would be popular around here if you painted it up like a stove and produced a catfish dinner.

Heck, a catfish dinner sounds really good, even without the Hypercube... Smile

Can the box be constructed from aluminum sheet, to fold almost completely flat?

I'm not completely sure how it works, but it sounds similar to something that was in Science and Mechanics' Magic Handbook from the sixties. It was a small animal vanish, so it might have worked in reverse to your cube. I am interested in future developments.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
If the gimmick is what I think it is, I found this in a book back when I was a teen. I used a small wicker basket to produce a half-dozen or so 12" silks.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
If you are thinking what I'm thinking, its similar. I too read something like it as a teen, in that case for producing a rabbit from a hat.

This is a combination of that idea with an idea from the temple production screen that makes it "built in" rather then a separate unit.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:
On 2010-08-06 09:59, ClintonMagus wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-08-05 22:18, tabman wrote:

Heck, a catfish dinner sounds really good, even without the Hypercube... Smile

Can the box be constructed from aluminum sheet, to fold almost completely flat?

Possibly. The basic idea would probably work. You would have to make the load bag out of something sheer enough not to mess up the lines when its in the "tucked under the arm" position. But a mesh bag might work well.

Oh and the cube can be used as a vanish by effectively reversing the procedure demonstrated. In fact it can be used as a production followed by a vanish. In that mode it isn't *quite* as strong an ending though.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
I should add that the advantage of a aluminum is you could use cloth or even metal hinges instead of the elastic I used. I needed to use elastic so they could stretch to accommodate the final fold of the prop. It actually occurred to me at the time that you wouldn't have that problem with metal, or even a thin plastic, but all I know how to work with/have tools for is wood.