The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: All in the cards :: Eight Of Diamonds Trick (Greight) video (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
John Pilotzi
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of John Pilotzi
There's a thread about Paul Gordon's "EIGHT OF DIAMONDS TRICK" from Explorations (and DVD). Also in Harry Lorayne's Best of Friends III titled GREIGHT. Here's Paul Gordon performing it (informally) for some magic friends. It's a killer! If you know the trick, the ending here will make you SMILE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr4y8Rb6EI4

JP
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
John,
As I mentioned in a number of posts, it really is an excellent effect. It's method is one of the nicest applications of the principle I have ever seen.

A pity Paul isn't around the Café anymore.

Ahimsa,
Vlad

PS: The ending made me smile, but, I am glad that such an ending rarely happens. Those that know the effect will know that the ending on the video is actually weaker than the usual ending. I think Paul needs to put up a different vid. This one would lead a person to believe that it is a mere spelling trick. What I mean by this is that ANY card could be at the denouement, and THAT is the sock between the eyes Smile
John Pilotzi
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of John Pilotzi
Yeah, I agree. I asked PG about this and he said it happens more often than it ought to. The odds are amazing, really. But, yes - the "proper" ending is MUCH better...more theatrical. There is a vid of him with the best result, but I can't see it on his website. JP
magicphill
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of magicphill
Agreed this is a good little effect seems impossible you could know the location of the card and you've got the added bonus of a sucker ending where people think the trick has gone wrong.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2010-07-04 03:04, John Pilotzi wrote:
Yeah, I agree. I asked PG about this and he said it happens more often than it ought to. The odds are amazing, really. But, yes - the "proper" ending is MUCH better...more theatrical. There is a vid of him with the best result, but I can't see it on his website. JP

John,

Five ideas struck me that Paul might consider. PM me if interested. Two are VERY easy. One of them I don't think he would like, and the remaining two ARE viable.

Again, the effect is good when you hit one of the culprits, but truly excellent when you don't.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
John Pilotzi
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of John Pilotzi
Hey guys, I just saw Paul perform (the better ending) on WGN 9 (Chicago TV). I think it was from a TV interview he gave with Marcella Raymond when he visited the area in 2009. I don't think its bin streamed, so check out his performance on YouTube. So easy - so strong. JP
Picard
View Profile
Elite user
414 Posts

Profile of Picard
Quote:
On 2011-02-04 13:24, John Pilotzi wrote:
Hey guys, I just saw Paul perform (the better ending) on WGN 9 (Chicago TV). I think it was from a TV interview he gave with Marcella Raymond when he visited the area in 2009. I don't think its bin streamed, so check out his performance on YouTube. So easy - so strong. JP

Can you please describe the better ending?
He still spells Eight of Diamonds but the actual card turns up there? (which in 51/52 cases will not be 8 of diamonds)
John Pilotzi
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of John Pilotzi
Hi Picard. The better ending is where the 8D is NOT the chosen card. (Either way, it's a random/free choice.) Paul's presentation (fast/pacy) is so wonderfully theatrical. Killer trick - startlingly-ggod presentation. JP
Picard
View Profile
Elite user
414 Posts

Profile of Picard
Quote:
On 2011-02-05 18:07, John Pilotzi wrote:
Hi Picard. The better ending is where the 8D is NOT the chosen card. (Either way, it's a random/free choice.) Paul's presentation (fast/pacy) is so wonderfully theatrical. Killer trick - startlingly-ggod presentation. JP

I agree. I love Automatic Placement principle and was actually able to reconstruct the trick.
It's practically self-working, but it would be even easier if the card was Six of Diamonds for example (2 letters less), makes the first "move" (if it's even appropriate to call it a move) completely self-working when the full 52-card deck is used.

I wonder why Paul chose the 8 of diamonds, maybe to prevent someone from reconstructing the effect? Well, I think it's pretty much impossible that any non-magician would ever be able to do that. Even I had to watch it numerous times and I really love the principle and already use it in a few effects.

This is definitely the most dynamic application of this principle that I have seen, doesn't look tiny bit mathematical and I love Paul's explanation for why he wants the spectator to cut the deck (to get a random number because when asked people tend to select certain numbers over others), as well as his hands off, "I don't even have to look" approach. Also, magician in trouble is always great theme and very well received.

I LOVE this effect (or to be precise, Paul's presentation of it). Am thinking of getting Paul's Explorations which is, from what I understood, filled with effects with this and some other mathematical principles. I wonder if he has any more similar gems. He is obviously brilliant performer, and it's the only way to turn these self-working effects into true miracles.
John Pilotzi
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of John Pilotzi
Quote:
On 2011-02-05 19:15, Picard wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-02-05 18:07, John Pilotzi wrote:

I agree. I love Automatic Placement principle and was actually able to reconstruct the trick.
It's practically self-working, but it would be even easier if the card was Six of Diamonds for example (2 letters less), makes the first "move" (if it's even appropriate to call it a move) completely self-working when the full 52-card deck is used.

I wonder why Paul chose the 8 of diamonds, maybe to prevent someone from reconstructing the effect? Well, I think it's pretty much impossible that any non-magician would ever be able to do that. Even I had to watch it numerous times and I really love the principle and already use it in a few effects.

This is definitely the most dynamic application of this principle that I have seen, doesn't look tiny bit mathematical and I love Paul's explanation for why he wants the spectator to cut the deck (to get a random number because when asked people tend to select certain numbers over others), as well as his hands off, "I don't even have to look" approach. Also, magician in trouble is always great theme and very well received.

I LOVE this effect (or to be precise, Paul's presentation of it). Am thinking of getting Paul's Explorations which is, from what I understood, filled with effects with this and some other mathematical principles. I wonder if he has any more similar gems. He is obviously brilliant performer, and it's the only way to turn these self-working effects into true miracles.

Hey Picard...it aint no secret that I'm a big fan of both Pauls magic and presentation/style. His website is full of great LIVE videos of him working and doing his magic. Boy, he's got energy. I asked him about the use of 8D and he said it was coz it spelled with many letters allowing a bigger cut-off leeway. And, without giving too much away, he spreads 15 and secretly adds two just to throw-off other magi. What I'm a big admirer of is how he can bring easy things to life with presentation and pace. Great to watch him do it. Big uber fan. In fact, the only card guys I like to watch are him, Loraine, Wagner and Malone. JP
Picard
View Profile
Elite user
414 Posts

Profile of Picard
Quote:
On 2011-02-06 00:33, John Pilotzi wrote:
I'm a big admirer of is how he can bring easy things to life with presentation and pace. Great to watch him do it. Big uber fan.

I think I'm becoming one too. Smile Saw some of his other videos, really nice. And also his routines don't seem too knuckle busting which is an added bonus.
Sorry for going little bit of topic, which material of his would you suggest?
I'm fine with books, but I might prefer seeing him in live action. I don't know if he is able to transfer his energy into his writings (it's certainly not an easy task), so maybe DVDs would be better bet? Card Startlers?

Anyway, back on topic, I also heard about Gr-Eight which is in Lorayne's Best Of Friends III. Do you know if there are any significant changes to Paul's original effect or is it the completely same effect? Of course, I'm asking presentational wise.
John Pilotzi
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of John Pilotzi
Hi Picard. Well, I've got Paul's DVD sets CARD STARTLERS & BLOCKBUSTERS WITH CARDS (www.paulgordon.net/shop.html) and I love em. Cool worker material. Great reviews, too...and all worthy! And, his books are VERY readable as they are enthusiastically energetic. But, I'm really biased being a BIG fan.

I think there is a slight error (in BOF 3) or ommission of the 3D trick. Paul's actual presentation is more dramatic... you'd have to compare to see why.

JP