The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: New outdoor aviary (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
Dave Scribner and Mike Rafone,,, we had been talking about placing doves inside and out and indoor lighting and natural sunlight. a great post. Had a fun weekend putting together an aviary outdoors and wanted to share with you guys, we are a little proud of it, wanted to show friends, here is the facebook link to share with the world to view. let me know if you have problems pulling up the pics. should not have to become friends on face book, I placed them under " for all to view"

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=1157182399&aid=2046458
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4865 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Chris, nice job. You did all that in one weekend? It really looks nice with plenty of room for your doves which really look nice by the way.
Where the magic begins
magic_man_jim
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of magic_man_jim
That is great I have been thinking of doing something similar for a while. Now that I have seen on I think I might go forward with it. It really does look great!
Magic is not to fool...but allows you to believe!

Jim Boothe
www.jimboothemagic.com
jim@jimboothemagic.com
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Thanks guys, I did the cage framing over the weekend, the lattice work and post were pre-set over a year ago and used as shading for the rabbits cages. went down to one rabbit, she is now inside, to stay out of heat, she is an angora. So we just framed in the dove cage and wired and built door frames etc, over the weekend, the right side is weather proofed for the rains with the nest on that side, but wide open across for flying, they love it, They are just getting acclimated now, so will pick nest soon, and I WILL MOVE THEM AROUND AS NEEDED oops, sorry about caps key. Thanks for the kind comments folks. Magic-man jim if you do build,please send or post pics. I will be lurking around. chat soon
Bernie Balloons
View Profile
Elite user
N.Y.C.
480 Posts

Profile of Bernie Balloons
WOW, what a great place to live. When can I move in? What do you do in the winter?
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Have similar cages in the shed in winter months, and we place a heat lamp in the shed to keep water from freezing. Doves hold up real well in the cold weather, plus nearly half of them will come back into the house to keep up with their flight training during the winter months. P.S. Bernie not sure if I have enough room in there for you as well? May have to add another unit on the other side just for you.
MrPrestoHypno
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of MrPrestoHypno
Very nice, thank you for sharing!
Rick
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Rick, Thank you for the kind words, always glad to share. It was a fun project, we are proud of the finished project, and the most happy are the birds at this point. was observing them today, they seem to be acclimating very quickly. Males are in the nest calling for some action, and seems to be working. have 2 sets of eggs at this point. I am hoping to build up my stock in Silkie Java doves. this breed is great for outdoor shows since they can barely take flight. A big thanks to my Friend David Silverman (bird man of Branson) for helping me with keeping up my breed stock of silkies.
owln_1
View Profile
Loyal user
dallas /now live by tulsa
222 Posts

Profile of owln_1
I'm about ready to start building from my horse stall and feed room we talked about we you was over, got the tin to replace the vinyl on the roof and most all the wood now I still need the 1/4" hardware cloth for snake proofing (dang I wish I could use 1' chicken wire)I'll Post pictures when I get it done, It wont be as pretty as your I'm sure but it'll be alright for the birds. Owln_1
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

This sounds like fun, That area was really large, maybe do chicken wire for the free flight area when you open it up, then close them off at night in the 1/4 by 1/4 mesh area.
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
Nice Job Chris, blows my indoor aviary away.
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Thanks Haywire. I will send you a quick PM
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii302......%202010/ Some folks had written and let me know they didn't have a facebook account to sign in to see the aviary pics. The above link send you to photo bucket where the photo album will pull up with out signing in,,, I tried and it seemed to work, I will shoot a small video of it on Sunday, and post on youtube in a day or so.
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Ok folks, I seemed to have finished up on the aviary, birds are finally nesting, No more signs of snakes as well. also got the doves back on Oyster shells as well, and they are laying some pretty thick eggs. here is a link to some before and after shots of the outdoor aviary project. the first link is to an 8 count of photos of some before and after http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii302......0aviary/

The next link is more photos of the aviary project in the beginning without the greenery around the aviary, These are the first set that I originally posted. just a repost so you can go back and forth between the links to see the differences. http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii302......%202010/

It makes for a great place to just get away from it all from time to time.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4865 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Outstanding aviary and play area for the kids. The doves and kids are very lucky.
Where the magic begins
Mystae3
View Profile
New user
Michael Sherbert
18 Posts

Profile of Mystae3
Chris.

Indeed very nice job ! The Doves like kids love being out door.

Blessing

Michael
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Michael, Thanks for taking the time to view the pics and leave your comment. Welcome to Magic Café..... hope we all get to hear more from you in the many different forums