The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Feminine Mystique :: Breaking in and getting Gigs as a Women (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Alexanderia_the_Great
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of Alexanderia_the_Great
It has been slow breaking in as an escape artist. Now this may have nothing to do with being a women as it is a very tough economy but can that fact that I am a women hurt me and is there things I should consider in promoting my act? Now given I have done a number of water escape this could be a problem as many see me as just water when I have done other escapes as well but wondered if anyone could share on things to do.
Edith
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
131 Posts

Profile of Edith
Well here in Germany it is especially difficult in the internet because we have two terms: "Zauberin" for females and "Zauberer" for males. It just sounds odd as a woman to use "Zauberer" but everybody assumes that magicians are males so they search only for "Zauberer".

Besides than that I have rather had positive experiences with being female and a magician. People are saying: "wow a woman who does magic. That's something special."
angelx03
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of angelx03
Try getting in America's Got Talent?
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Under No circumstances try to get in America's Got talent. It is a dead end and most often leads to humiliation, no matter how good the performer.
miss_vega_bond
View Profile
New user
London UK
34 Posts

Profile of miss_vega_bond
Gosh nooooo to AGT... You make one tiny slip up, and my goodness no matter how long you have been doing the same trick it will happen... And you become the subject of much youtube heckling forevermore.
Organisation, skill, networking, updating... all key to getting gigs as a magician, male or female.
Or so I hear... Smile
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
You got that right, Vega! Ruthless! It's a shark's tank!

As far as getting a serious gig, make a DVD of your best performance. Make copies and present them as a demo. It should be edited to no more than two minutes MAX, although looking at your avatar, I'd probably watch for two HOURS, and still want to see more but that's just me (blush).

"...Beware Vega's Bittersweet, Razorblade Kiss..." Wow...is that for YOUNG men only? I'd be HAPPY to be slashed to ribbons...er..sorry. Inappropriate. Gotta be professional here...a-hem...

Seriously, I bet a demo would go a long way to furthering your career, if professional magic is what you want to do. Just watch out for these fast talking wolves who promise and never deliver. Hollywood's FULL of them. I don't know about the U.K.

Respectfully,

Doug
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2010-06-02 15:40, Alexanderia_the_Great wrote:
It has been slow breaking in as an escape artist. Now this may have nothing to do with being a woman...but wondered if anyone could share on things to do.

Sorry to hijack your thread...to answer your question, I think it's great that a woman could be an escape artist. That is an exclusive act, and is a special type of Magic all its own.

The thing I would recommend, and I know it's probably trite sounding, but be CAREFUL. Do NOT put your life in danger. Too many escape artists are no longer with us, because they "pushed the envelope", so to speak.

I don't know much about escapes, as I've never done one myself, but for example, Chris Angel APPEARS to put his life in danger, but really, we all know his staff (and his mother) would never allow him to be in any real danger.

Handcuffs, shackles, getting out of a locked jail cell, those are the escapes Houdini did. That underwater box escape kinda scares me, though. Just be safe, Alexanderia, and I say that because I really do care...

Doug
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
UPDATE:

Wow, I feel like a fool. I was advising Miss Vega Bond on becoming a professional Magician, and getting a serious gig. I have been shown the error of my ways:

Do a YouTube search on "Sam Beedle & Vega"

"Dark Fire" is the first one I saw. This act is just the kind of performance that is so wonderful to watch. All by herself, Miss Vega Bond is a VERY capable performer! She made me laugh doing the Color Changing Silk, does a GREAT card vanish and reappear, and the appearing flowers is superb! Then, I'm TOTALLY fooled by the Cube Zag. I don't even WANT to know the method. I am rarely fooled any more these days.

Her choice of music is great, too. That act is something I'd LOVE to see come to the United States.

Ha haa, and here I was saying, "...I bet a demo would go a long way to furthering your career, if professional magic is what you want to do." Foot inserted FIRMLY in mouth. Now, I need a washcloth to wipe the egg off my face...

P.S. Now I understnad the meaning of her signature, ""So Young Men, take heed, for my advice is this; Beware Vega's Bittersweet, Razorblade Kiss.." You'll see the Razerblade from Mouth effect done in a very original way. Gosh, I wish I was a young man again...~sigh~

Doug
miss_vega_bond
View Profile
New user
London UK
34 Posts

Profile of miss_vega_bond
**MASSIVE blush!**

xxxVB