The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Dove Vanish (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
BowerPower
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of BowerPower
Hi there,

I am looking for a good way to vanish a dove for kids show...basically what I want to do is produce my dove at the start and then vanish him at the end.

I don't want anything too big or bulky and it should be something that is relatively quick and easy to do. A tail vanish would be nice but isn't an option.

Thoughts anybody? I was thinking a Bengal Net, but do they still make them and would it be something that works for a vanish...

Other ideas were:

A flip over box (kind of bulky)
Dove Sensation, looks like it's hard on the dove...

Thanks for your help.
MikeHMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of MikeHMagic
Do NOT vanish at the end unless you plan to bring it back. It will upset the kids if you vanish it and don't bring it back. I stopped vanishing the rabbit at the end of my show years ago.
Mike "Gus" Harvatt
"Bullwinkle that trick never works."
Alexo
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, NY
112 Posts

Profile of Alexo
Unless you transform the dove to something else. I've found that turning my dove into an egg does the job of not upsetting the kids. I use a Dovan for that but those are kinda hard to find unless you make it yourself, Check out page 81 of the Chavez book to see what I'm talking about.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
A rabbit is something kids want to pet. I think most of them realize they will not be able to pet a bird. If you turn the dove into a rabbit: problem solved!

There are plans on my site for building a variation on the Bengal Net from PVC Pipe, as well as for making several Dove vanishing props, including a Dove Sensation variation made from place mats. If you are interested in building a dove prop for your vanish (or transformation into an egg or a rabbit) and need help deciding which, send me an e-mail and I will help find you something suitable from my collection of "Do-It-Yourself" e-Books.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
MikeHMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of MikeHMagic
I've found that it is not a matter of not being able to pet the animal, it has been a genuine concern for the well being of said critter, there is an emotional connection. I've had them question the well being of the doves after they've been transformed into the rabbit.
Just what my experiences have been.
Mike "Gus" Harvatt
BowerPower
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of BowerPower
This still hasnt given me one idea for different props or ideas. I didn't ask your theory about what will happen if I vanish it, I would like to know what are some good props to make it happen.
greatscott
View Profile
Special user
595 Posts

Profile of greatscott
Have you tried just a simple take apart dove vanish? Whenever I want to vanish a dove, that's what I use.

David
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
Bower, don't be too hard on these kind folks. LOL They are just giving you some food for thought as well. This has been an issue from the beginning of time, and that is, "where did he go and how is he? is he ok?" your post reads that you produce him in the beginning, then vanish in the end.

Thru the years, folks have avoided this sort of routine because of the concern is creates for the animal. Kids will always wonder, why did he vanish that beautiful bird? Just as you magically created him, you have know caused him to vanish you mean guy you. LOL Some kids will be really worried for him at this point, and may turn against you. You may, make him appear, then vanish him in the middle of your show, then have him re-appear at the end of your show, making you their hero once again. This is the folks concern here. They are just passing on some food for thought behind your routine. Great Scott has a good idea and also use a crystal silk cylinder to produce, dove to silk sensation is a good vanish, Tear apart is a good vanish, Get a Abbott’s catalog and page thru it, or even a Tannen’s catalog, and page thru the livestock magic sections. Go online and when you find a good source. Stroll thru livestock sections or stage magic with doves and start dreaming up that new routine. Break a leg my friend.
BowerPower
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of BowerPower
Thanks Chris. I totally get that they are offering some other thoughts, but I just wanted to know some good props and until Great Scott recommended it, people werent really answering the question I had. I appreciate the other input for sure, but have just been flirting with a few ideas.

Thanks again.
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
I totally understand, sometimes these post can venture way off course...LOL. sometimes they turn into Adds for supplies etc.,LOL. Hope it all comes together for you my friend.

I love to surf the web, then go into those categories like dove magic and stage magic, and go into that dream world. Happy searching my friend.
MikeHMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of MikeHMagic
Sorry, Abbott's Rabbit Vanish Supreme is an AWESOME take apart vanish....yes it will work with a dove too. You can set it up in front of the audience, a real fooler!
That better? LOL
Mike "Gus" Harvatt
Alexo
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, NY
112 Posts

Profile of Alexo
I did say "Dovan" as the prop. I believe Harry Anderson's guinea pox does the same thing and is easier to find.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3885 Posts

Profile of Julie
Dovan would be a lot easier to perform--practically no set-up time and comfortable and safe for the dove--plus no bad angles like a couple of those mentioned earlier do.

Abbott's used to make them...?

Julie
BowerPower
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of BowerPower
I have never heard of a DOVAN. anyone have a link
Alexo
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, NY
112 Posts

Profile of Alexo
I found mine by accident, but I think the Guinea Pig box by harry anderson does the same thing. http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php?productid=3220
This one is a beautiful model.
If you wanna try to make one yourself it's on page 81 of Chavez Encyclopedia of Dove Magic. You'll also need a norm neilsen dove.
I found mine by accident on eBay one day and it's worth every penny. Not only does it help vanish the dove, but it acts as an attractive but not gawdy cage to hold him for the whole show. And as said no bad angles and you can leave him in it after the vanish till you have to leave with no worry.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3885 Posts

Profile of Julie
For the record: Loyd's/Viking CW's Guinea Pig Chest (like Harry Anderson used) is nothing like Ren Fetzer's(sp?) Dovan...two completely different animals. Smile

Seriously, the Guinea Pig Chest would not serve your stated purpose. Unless...the version Hank Lee is selling works differently than the original Loyd's. I mention this because the sketch on Hank Lee's site is very different from the standard Guinea Pig Chest and does look similar to a Dovan apparatus...?

Julie
Alexo
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, NY
112 Posts

Profile of Alexo
My mistake
BowerPower
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of BowerPower
Wow, thanks for the info.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3885 Posts

Profile of Julie
Hocus Pocus has a DOVAN of undetermined pedigree in their consignment list sent today.

Julie
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2010-05-19 00:22, BowerPower wrote:
I have never heard of a DOVAN. anyone have a link

Abbott's Magic is the maker of Dovan effect. They have made it for many years. It was a favorite of the late Neil Foster. Click Here