The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magical Accessories :: Wakeling Egg Bag (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Profile of J.G. the magnificent
I don't know anything about the egg bag really however I have Jim Steinmeyers book on Alan Wakeling that describes his egg bag routine. I just wanted a egg bag routine this looks good and I don't want to spend extra money on another routine when I could very well use this one. I am unsure of what egg bag he used though given the book simply says he uses a common one describing it but not giving a name. I am curious if the Malini one is it or is it another. I found it for $50 big bargain compaired to other sites. Any other sites I have found just have them as egg bags. Nothing more descriptive, I guess it is really luck of the draw if you are not farmiliar which is why I am posting this.
Jeremy Gates
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The Malini Egg Bag can be purchased for $40.00, I believe it is Danny Archer's model that is priced like this. Another is the Mardo Egg Bag by Martin Lewis, sell for the same price I believe.

There is one that has gotten bad reviews from South America for less.

I think you should actually read the Wakeling book and look at the illustrations. I reference page 126, under the heading the bag and the Billiard Ball. It tells the bag was specially made for him, and of silk material. Then look at page 128, the shows the design of the bag in the top illustration.

Alan Wakeling routine was a routine for a Nite Club, short without audience participation. Today, the egg bag goes over better with 1 or 2 spectators to verify and handle the bag. See Jeff Hobson web site for instruction on the egg bag and his wonderful handling.

You have been on the Café long enough to know this topic has been discussed in length, most recently here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=8&118 Please read all the pages as it will help you in so many ways concerning the Egg Bag.
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
I may be wrong but did not see an egg bag for sale on his Mr. Archer's site, I just may not have looked very hard. But I know of a Danny Tong who just so happen to also sell an egg bag for $40 also. What a coincidence!
Here is the link to Mr. Tong's egg bag and it is a Malini style too. I have his and it is very good and you will need to contact him if you care to use blown eggs or make them yourself. http://www.magicbypauline.com/eggbag.html
But if you already have one, great, now just get the book you like for the routine that fits your particular bag since there are about 3-4 different kinds of egg bags based on the "sewing". So yea, read the link wmhegbli provided and that's about it.
A good egg bag routine is a subjective thing as well as the egg bag itself as you may have already found out,- Malini, Sterling/Mardo, Hobson, Tarbell, Sachs, Albini etc...
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-05-30 09:02, wmhegbli wrote:
The Malini Egg Bag can be purchased for $40.00, I believe it is Danny Archer's model that is priced like this. Another is the Mardo Egg Bag by Martin Lewis, sell for the same price I believe.

There is one that has gotten bad reviews from South America for less.

I think you should actually read the Wakeling book and look at the illustrations. I reference page 126, under the heading the bag and the Billiard Ball. It tells the bag was specially made for him, and of silk material. Then look at page 128, the shows the design of the bag in the top illustration.

Alan Wakeling routine was a routine for a Nite Club, short without audience participation. Today, the egg bag goes over better with 1 or 2 spectators to verify and handle the bag. See Jeff Hobson web site for instruction on the egg bag and his wonderful handling.

You have been on the Café long enough to know this topic has been discussed in length, most recently here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=8&118 Please read all the pages as it will help you in so many ways concerning the Egg Bag.

I orignially just wanted a Wakling style bag and thought it could be a commonly sold one but I guess not. I missed the custom made part I could try fabric manipulation see if they could make me one. Or buy about four silks and try my shot at making one if hiring a company to make one for me is too much money. Though that might not turn out right and now that I think about it perhaps audience participation is important on the street and considering I don't know the egg bag I could try buying another kind which your link is very helpfull and I am very grateful for it.
Jeremy Gates
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2010-05-30 12:32, rklew64 wrote:
I may be wrong but did not see an egg bag for sale on his Mr. Archer's site, I just may not have looked very hard. But I know of a Danny Tong who just so happen to also sell an egg bag for $40 also. What a coincidence!

Yeh, getting older is curse, the 1st thing that goes is the memory. Just could not think of the correct last name. Tong, Tong, Tong - hope I got it now!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
J.G., it would not be advisible to use silk as in silks sold for magic purposes, you would use a heavy silk material as sold in fabric stores for ladies clothing, such as Jo Ann's Fabrics or the finer fabric stores.

I believe the Wakeling design was fashioned after the early standard type Egg Bag. This style Egg Bag was the 1st design, then came the Tarbell, Sterling, Mardo, Malini, and now Hobson.

Wakeling design makes the working just a little more difficult to perform with, personally, I would use one of the other designs.
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Okay I will just buy then.
Jeremy Gates