The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Food for thought :: Are you a Dunniger or an Anneman? (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
In an interview on the Magic Newswire, Max Maven commented on the roles of Annemann and Dunninger by saying that while Dunninger came first and brought mentalism into the public eye, Annemann acted more as a "torch bearer," passing the light on and advancing the art.

While Dunninger more or less promoted himself, Anneman became the "mother load" for future performers. Max Maven said that Annemann "got it," arrived at the core of mentalism and said that the "Jinx" and Anneman's other material has everything needed--all of the primal, essential information buried and waiting to be dug out from the out-of-date style.

What did Maven learn most from Anneman? He said he learned that magic is for adults--a "grown-up endeavor" with many different facets, themes, and approaches, with very rarely a "one true way."

Do you agree with Maven's assessment? Who are the Dunningers and Annemanns of today?
Are you a Dunninger or an Anneman?
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
cairo
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of cairo
Maven is an Annemann, Kreskin is a Dunninger.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
What about being yourself?
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
Here are some words from Harry Anderson, also on The Magic Newswire, commenting on the reproduction of The Jinx in the October 2009 issue of Genii and describing how Annemann filled a "space not yet coverd" before his time:

"[Annemann saw] magic being something you feel. There is no magic, there are only magicians, and tricks are the tool of the magician--not magicians being slaves or servants to the tricks. The magic lies completely in the personality of the performer, and while that is not the whole truth, it is certainly one of the more fascinating truths in magic.
"Annemann said effect is everything. Method is nothing. You are taking your audience on a journey, and on that journey they are going to decide who you are.... So know that and be aware of that and make sure they have the best possible trip and the finest possible impression of you.
... Be as minimal as the rule allows. [The rule is that] everyone desires marvel and enchantment. They will make it happen. Don't get in the way of their process."

Like Max Maven, Harry Anderson seems to see Annemann as making a quantum leap in taking magic to a higher level. While Dunninger promoted himself, Anneman advanced the art.

Perhaps a better way to ask my question is this: How is the art being advanced today? How are you advancing the art?
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
Ms. Merizing
View Profile
Loyal user
Edwin Carl Erwin is digging postholes for
232 Posts

Profile of Ms. Merizing
Quote:
Perhaps a better way to ask my question is this: How is the art being advanced today? How are you advancing the art?

Lovely questions.

How about remaining mindful to peer through the lens: 'Is how I'm working advancing the genuine artistry of magic'?

"Art, properly so called, is no recreation; it cannot be learned at spare moments, nor pursued when we have nothing better to do. It is no handiwork for drawing-room tables, no relief of the ennui of boudoirs; it must be understood and undertaken seriously, or not at all." John Ruskin
Pleased to continue finding that all the world's a stage.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
I lean far more in the 'Annemann' direction in escapology (or more to that point, more Trudel than Houdini).
I spend more effort writing and inventing than actual performing.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
The Supernaturalist
View Profile
Loyal user
The City of Lights
202 Posts

Profile of The Supernaturalist
Great topic. This has crossed my mind before. I believe that Ted did more for magicians. Incredible thinker and so clever.
The art? How about a voice more familiar than The President? Joe took it from vaudeville, to the radio then to television. don't even get me started on all of the books he authored! (Using ghosts none the less!)
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Are you an Annemann or a Dunninger or a Max Maven or a Lawrence O ?