The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Friend of a Friend :: The Wandering Jew (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
StPaulMagician222
View Profile
Regular user
Saint Paul, MN (Cathedral Hill)
104 Posts

Profile of StPaulMagician222
Does anyone have any information about the story of the Wandering Jew. I saw a play called "Under the Lintel" last weekend and it was all about this librarian that just had a book returned that was overdue 125 years. Somehow he surmised that it was the Wandering Jew that returned it and started a world wide search for this mythological figure. Is it a simple story? What culture did it start in? Who is this elusive man that is doomed all his days to walk the earth all his days until he reaches 50 and then he digresses back to 30 where he in turns ages again, back and forth through out eternity.

I know so little about this myth and really had only heard of it the first time while watching this one man play. The only other fact I know is that he signs his name A.

Just Wondering as it could provide a provocative story line to a bizarre tale. Any input is appreciated.

k
"One can't believe in Impossible things" said Alice.
"I dare say" said the Queen, "Why when I was your age I believed more than 6 impossible things before breakfast.
-Thru the Looking Glass- L.E. Carol
Ms. Merizing
View Profile
Loyal user
Edwin Carl Erwin is digging postholes for
232 Posts

Profile of Ms. Merizing
Pleased to continue finding that all the world's a stage.
Garrette
View Profile
Special user
926 Posts

Profile of Garrette
The links Ms. Merizing provided are good for how the follow-on story developed, but hide the origin deep in the text.

These verses from the Bible (I'm using the NIV Study Bible for the wording here) are the source of the legend, which I understand some believe to be actually true since the Bible is held by some to be inerrant, and Jesus' words are taken literally.

Matthew 16:28
[This is the verse most often cited as the root of the legend. Jesus is telling the disciples that he must die and rise again; the disciples protest]

"I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom."

John 21:20 - 21:23
[This one is less often cited and refers specifically to one disciple, thought to be John.]

"20 Peter turned and saw that the disciple whom Jesus loved was following them, {This was the one who had leaned back against Jesus at the supper and had said, "Lord, who is going to betray you?"}

21 When Peter saw him, he asked, "Lord, what about him?"

22 Jesus answered, "If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me."

23 Because of this, the rumor spread among the brothers that this disciple would not die. But Jesus did not say that he would not die; he only said, "If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you?"
LadyLovecraft
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of LadyLovecraft
"The Wandering Jew is a figure from medieval Christian folklore whose legend began to spread in Europe in the 13th century. The original legend concerns a Jew who taunted Jesus on the way to the Crucifixion and was then cursed to walk the earth until the Second Coming. The exact nature of the wanderer's indiscretion varies in different versions of the tale, as do aspects of his character; sometimes he is said to be a shoemaker or other tradesman, sometimes he is the doorman at Pontius Pilate's estate."

Please find more here
jem368
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of jem368
Another note: The curse of the Wandering Jew is very similar to the curse supposedly placed on Cain after the murder of Abel (the founder of the Mormon religion claimed to have encountered a large, Middle-Eastern-featured man in North America who claimed to be the original Cain).
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
I have wandering jew growing all over my back yard...
actorcoop
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of actorcoop
Sounds a lot like the myth of Sisyphus
*I knew you were going to read this
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
There's a novel of the same name, but I've forgotten the details...read it in High School. Modern Library, as I recall, put it out.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Pomyles
View Profile
New user
Here
79 Posts

Profile of Pomyles
"Melmoth the Wanderer" by Charles Robert Maturin is a classic on the subject.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3830 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
I believe it was Issac Asimov that wrote a story on this line but not sure. Could have been another. Also have heard the legend refers to one of the Apostles who heard Jesus declair that some standing there would not see death until he came into his kingdom. (John 21:20-24)Perhaps John since he didn't fulfil Jesus prophecy of a violent death.(Matthew 20:20-23) The legend places John as one of the two witness to be slain in the streets of Jerusalem in the last days.(Rev 11:3-12)
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
lotcaster
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
151 Posts

Profile of lotcaster
I did a lot of research on The Wandering Jew myth, many years ago. One of the best resources on the character is the book "The Legend of the Wandering Jew" by George K. Anderson.

One of the more common names that is assigned to the character is Ahasuerus.
rgranville
View Profile
Elite user
Boston area
463 Posts

Profile of rgranville
Eugene Sue wrote Le Juif errant (The Wandering Jew) in 1844, but this novel has NOTHING to do with the legend of the Wandering Jew. You can find an English translation for free in Project Gutenberg, but be forewarned! It's 800+ pages of 19th century French literature.

Smile
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
Quote:
On Jan 30, 2012, actorcoop wrote:
Sounds a lot like the myth of Sisyphus

Without the rock
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
The original legend concerns a Jew who taunted Jesus on the way to the Crucifixion and was then cursed to walk the earth until the Second Coming. Seems like quite a harsh punishment to me considering all the other things that have gone on in this world.
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
There is a pre-WWII trilogy with the Wandering Jew you can find in the used book stores. One book (the first) covers his perambulations around thew world becoming rich - the second is his meeting with Salome also cursed with immortality -- the third with Caine.

GC
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine had a story being told by a Roman Centurion who'd seen duty in the Holy Land. He told the story of a woman who came to him for help because her brother had gone crazy. The Centurion fights this crazed guy who doesn't seem to be able to die! The Centurion finally drops the side of a cliff on top of the brother (I don't remember how) and in telling the story, reveals that the woman's brother had been named Lazarus!

(That probably got them some nasty letters!)
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
You can find the WWII fictional trilogy on the Wandering Jew on Project Gutenberg covering the centurion, Salome and Eternal Adam -- I believe, off the top of my head, the author was Verich.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments