The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Step right up! :: Al Flosso's pitch (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
CDS
View Profile
Regular user
MI
109 Posts

Profile of CDS
Does any one know how Al Flosso pitch? I would like to know his presentation... Thanks

Chuck
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2737 Posts

Profile of sethb
Al Flosso worked at Coney Island in the 1920's as an act in the Dreamland Side Show, doing the Miser's Dream. He also sold hook coins and packet tricks in between shows.

However, I don't think he was a pitchman in the usual sense of the word. Other folks may have more information on this. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
tomterm8
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of tomterm8
Quote:
On 2010-03-24 08:29, sethb wrote:
Al Flosso worked at Coney Island in the 1920's as an act in the Dreamland Side Show, doing the Miser's Dream. He also sold hook coins and packet tricks in between shows.

However, I don't think he was a pitchman in the usual sense of the word. Other folks may have more information on this. SETH

I don't have much information, but a brief search points to http://www.magic.org/store/product_info.php?products_id=3763 which suggests he worked as a "street-corner shill, carnival pitchman" as well as a magician. Which I didn't know.
David Alexander
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of David Alexander
Sadly, Al's son Jackie died a while ago as he would have known. Jackie was a nice guy and I enjoyed our rare visits when I was in New York.

The one time I was in Al's shop was in late 1969. Dunninger was there, referred to by Al as "Joey." It was a fantastic experience.

Possibly Gary Brown who wrote Flosso's biography or Ted at Martinka.com would know more but be advised that Flosso's material was honed to perfection for HIM. He was 5'2" with a pronounced New Yawk accent. He played the part and really knew his stuff.
CDS
View Profile
Regular user
MI
109 Posts

Profile of CDS
I have been reading Gary Brown's book on Flosso and wanted more info on his pitch, just to know. I am trying to put together my own pitch for a waterless car washing product. So I am looking for all different kinds of pitches

I didn't even think of the magic shop...

thanks for all the info.
CDS
View Profile
Regular user
MI
109 Posts

Profile of CDS
I have been reading Gary Brown's book on Flosso and wanted more info on his pitch, just to know. I am trying to put together my own pitch for a waterless car washing product. So I am looking for all different kinds of pitches

I didn't even think of the magic shop...

thanks for all the info.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2737 Posts

Profile of sethb
Ron Popeil wrote a book about pitching products (and he ought to know!) I don't know the name of the book, but a fast search on Amazon or the Advanced Book Exchange should turn it up.

Whit Haydn's School For Scoundrels website has a good 3-disc DVD set with interviews of great pitchmen. Also, Don Driver's "Svengali Deck Pitch" DVD and his "Jam Auction" DVD might be helpful to you, even if you're not selling Svengali Decks. SETH
CDS
View Profile
Regular user
MI
109 Posts

Profile of CDS
Thanks

Chuck
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Chuck:

I have PM'd you
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Al did pitch many items when he worked at the Dreamland Sideshow and other shows. Al would do magic and Punch & Judy, and after the puppet act he would pitch punch whistles (also known as swazzles) the pitch was an entertaining and included demonstrating a number of simple magic tricks which were thrown in for free when you bought the punch whistle. The pitch was picked up and refined by magician Walter DeLenz, and DeLenz taught it to two people, Eddie Fields and Bobby Reynolds. Sideshow showman Stu Miller picked it up from Bobby, as did Ward Hall.

Try to find a copy of Don Bole's book The Complete Pitchman. It not only has a transcript of the DeLenz pitch, but a number of other pitches for household items along the line of your waterless car wash product.
Fitz
View Profile
Elite user
Phoenix, AZ
476 Posts

Profile of Fitz
This is not a pitch but it is fun to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_78piqWB44

Fitz
I have a daily web show all about magic at http://FitzMagic.info
CDS
View Profile
Regular user
MI
109 Posts

Profile of CDS
Oh boy! I am going to be reading and pitch now!
thanks for all the great info. And links guys.

I am so glad that we have a place on the web where people can share info and history.

thanks
Chuck
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Hello Chuck:
Just get all of Don Driver's DVD's You will be out there pitching in no time! Follow the pitch DVD to the letter, do it like Don says... Don't leave any part of it out, everything is done and said for a reason. This is a proven pitch that has been used with success for many years. I HIGHLY recommend it.

ROD
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Thanks Rod I appreciate that a lot.
I have great news.Don Boles book "The Complete Pitchman" is being reprinted and will be out in about 3 weeks.The person reprinting it got full premission and rights from the Don Boles estate.The reprint verson will be in
8 X 10 foremat spiral bound instead ofthe original smaller size stabled.

I will be making an announce announcemen here when its ready for shipping and where and how much it will be.There is going to be a web site for it that I will post.This is a must have book for any pitchman.This book has every pitch you can think of and many you would never think of.It has the Svengali pitch,the mouse pitch,the Jam Auction,and several other magic pitches and many hosehold product pitches.I'm really excited about this as I'm the one that got the person doing this project going on it.

Later,Don
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2737 Posts

Profile of sethb
So much for being "retired" . . . . .

Actually, we're all very glad that you are continuing to "pitch" these pitch items! SETH
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Hello Don:

You are very welcome! Its great to see the Boles book THE COMPLEAT PITCHMAN will be reprinted. I have an original I bought in the 60's , I also have 2 other Boles books MIDWAY MAGIC AND THE MIDWAY SHOWMAN. All great books!

ROD
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Quote:
On 2010-04-05 18:02, Rod Pringle wrote:
Hello Don:

You are very welcome! Its great to see the Boles book THE COMPLEAT PITCHMAN will be reprinted. I have an original I bought in the 60's , I also have 2 other Boles books MIDWAY MAGIC AND THE MIDWAY SHOWMAN. All great books!

ROD

So is Boles' other book The Modern Wizard's Manual published in 1970. Walter 'Zaney' Blaney wrote the foward on this. As I recall, Boles self published his books so they are hard to find.
Red Neck Magician
View Profile
Regular user
Down Yonder
190 Posts

Profile of Red Neck Magician
Don

Any news on the Don Boles book the complete pitchman?
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Hi RDM,

Anyday now.I'll post here when it's ready.

Don
Red Neck Magician
View Profile
Regular user
Down Yonder
190 Posts

Profile of Red Neck Magician
Looking forward to the book.