The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Flavors from the past... :: Arturos Magic Shop in Topeka, Kansas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
houdini
View Profile
Loyal user
N.E. Kansas
203 Posts

Profile of houdini
Does anyone remember Arturo's Magic Shop in Topeka, Kansas. I believe it was located on Kansas Ave in downtown Topeka in the early 1970s and 80s. If you know any info, who was the last owner. I know it is no longer in business but not sure when it closed down. Thanx.
Jim. Thats me on the left,Everyone should know the other guy!
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Servante
JUST saw this three year old query. Arturo's was in East Topeka. Chuck Larkey owned it, and it closed when Chuck died. The one on Kansas Avenue belonged to Jerry...oh, dang, I'm stuck on his last name. I bought equipment from both places. Jerry's last name will come to me. His shop closed when he died as well.

-Philip
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Servante
Halleck. Jerry Halleck.

-Philip
bums_1955
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of bums_1955
My son Dale took "magic" lessons from Chuck Larkey in Topeka when my son was 14 years old - that would be about 1980. The shop was a little hole in the wall cottage next to a barber shop. Stuffed with good stuff. It wasn't located on Kansas Ave, somewhere close to 29th and California Ave, across from an elementary school. My son still has his Tarbel books and some of the stuff he bought from Chuck. We would drop Dale and his buddy off for lessons and then pick them up. I'd go in and Chuck would hypnotize us with stories about Blackstone, etc as well as his own career. A very unique man. How he loved those kids. I have been in a "magic" store in Topeka on Kansas Ave. The store was filled with Halloween and other costumes. Magic seemed like a secondary concern. I needed some special made ballons for the "trick" of inserting a large needle (12 to 18 inches long) into the sides of an inflated baloon and found a telephone number on the door. I finally made contact with the owner and met him at his home - he had the baloons and I bought a dozen or so. His home was south of Topeka High School about three blocks. I'm sure Dale could tell you more about his experience with The Great Arturo. My email address is: thekelpins@att.net
dennis babbs
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of dennis babbs
My father Arthur Glenn Babbs (Arturo) did not have a shop in Kansas. He built magic for U.F grant in his early years and opened a magic shop in Thornville Ohiuo where he built his creations. In 1961 he (we) came to Colon, MI where he worked for Recil and Then Greg Bordner until his death in 1987.
Dale Houck
View Profile
Veteran user
Dakota J Magic at Saint Cloud, FL
343 Posts

Profile of Dale Houck
This is an old thread, but I'll comment on it anyway. Chuck "Arturo" Larkey sold his shop to a member of the SAM Topeka magic club when I lived in Oskaloosa, KS in 1984-6. I don't remember his name, but he moved the shop to the basement of his house in Lawrence, KS. I belonged to the club when I lived there. I went to Arturo's frequently but only went to the one in Lawrence with the new owner once. I don't think it lasted long.
Magic is where you find it.....
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1177 Posts

Profile of Russo
The Past - looog past. I was about 15 (70 years ago). Won an Elec. Battery Model Plane - doing a Vent Act at a Community Talent Show. Wasn't too interested in Model Plane - so - went to the 'Hollywood Toy and Magic Shop' (Calif- Bergs Magic Shop was down the street up stairs ). I asked if I could trade the Plane for a couple Magic tricks. The Salesman was a Hugh even Scary Person - but , a very nice guy. He let me get a , Die Box, Hat Loader, Imp Bottle, Thus MAGIC became an ad-vocation for the next 70 years - WOW Ralph ROUSSEAU (Russo)..