The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: All tied up! :: Police Cuffs for the (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Are there gaffed cuffs that work well for this type of effect? Are there other types of restraints that can be used, convincingly, for an "In Again-Out Again" type of effect?
malini
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of malini
For this effect I usually use what I call "Siberian hadcuffs" (I forget the real name). Anyway the cuffs consist of a steel loop with 4 chains hanging off it.
2 chains on each side are wraped around each wrist and locked with a padlock.
They are fairly easy to escape from, and you can concentrate on the presentation of the running "escape/gag".

BTW, if anyone knows the proper name of these cuffs, please tell me, I would REALLY like to know!!

Smile
Maynooth
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
105 Posts

Profile of Maynooth
Malini, yes "Siberian Handcuffs" is a commonly used name for those.

Alan, "The Everything Magic Book" by Greg Davidson has a chain escape that IMO looks a bit more 'real' than the Siberian Handcuffs (but it may make no difference from a laymans point of view). The chain escape is a bit harder to get back into than the Siberian Handcuffs but it is very easy to get out of.

Also, the chain escape can be made at home for a couple of dollars with a bit of chain and a couple of key ring links and a lock.

If you're not in the market for official looking handcuffs both are worth checking out.
cheers
Maynooth Smile
The race is long and in the end it is only with one's self.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I have those types of cuffs, but am still looking for police cuffs that will do the job. I tried one type of cuff, that has a release lever, but they're too hard to get back into, silently and quickly.

I do appreciate the posts. I may have to use the chain cuffs for the effect.
Smile
Joe Marotta
View Profile
Special user
Can You Believe I Have
944 Posts

Profile of Joe Marotta
The full title of your post was cut off so I don't know if you were wanting something for a sub-truck effect, or for a "comedy rope tie" effect with volunteers standing right next to you.

For a sub-trunk effect, you may just want to purchase a pair of ADA cuffs from Cannons Great Escapes or a cheap pair of "bridge jumpers". Handcuffs always look great.

ADAs are fully inspectable yet are super-fast to exit from. You will hear the sound of the bow "ratcheting" as it opens, but that's no problem inside the trunk. Not quiet enough for a comedy rope tie effect.

I never liked the "oval link" principle of the Chain Link Handcuffs. It has been used for years, at least since 1955 when Abbott's Novelty Company offered them for sale. They never look like a real "restraint device" but ALWAYS look like some magic prop. If you are afraid that people will accuse you of using fake handcuffs when in fact they are "real", then they will definately suspect it when you use the chain link cuffs.

Magician Steve Hart performed his modified/improved version of it as an In-again/Out-again gag with great laughs. Everyone seemed to really enjoy his performance at the Magic Castle last year with it. If you are interested in learning more, his email is steve@magic2motivate.com. Tell him Joe sent you.

I hope this was of some help.
Cheers,

Joe Marotta
Joe Marotta
View Profile
Special user
Can You Believe I Have
944 Posts

Profile of Joe Marotta
I forgot to mention, the Siberian Chain escape (sometimes sold as the Houdini Chain Escape in some magic stores) consists of aproximately 18 inches of chain with 3 rings attached. The chain is wrapped around your wrists and padlocked in place using the rings. The magician easily escapes.

Some believe that this effect first began as the German Police Transport Chain escape. It was February 19, 1902, in Germany, where Transport Policeman Lott chained Houdini with his transport chains in the presence of a German court and then openly escaped. Naturally Harry took advantage of this victory and presented it as a victory over the "entire German Police Force".

Seems like every magician has owned one of these at sometime in his magic career. Magic shops sell very "cheap looking" ones at a very inexpensive price. You can easily make one that looks great, and performed properly, no one will suspect that you are using the same method that they sometimes see so poorly performed in magic shops. (this has been my experience in the USA and there are probably some good magic shops out there who DO perform it well.)

You can use a dog choke-chain for a very silent in-again/out-again escape. Looks better than the oval chain cuffs and costs you much less.

A good description of this can be found in John Novak's The Art of Escape volume 2.

Everyone is familiar with the heavy duty dog choke-chains, and with a big padlock on them, you look VERY secure!

Hope that gives you something to try.

Cheers,

Joe
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I agree with Joe that the Siberian Chain escape - using heavy chains and a big padlock (the dog choke collar is good if you get one big enough to look substantial) is quite effective to the lay person.

I often have someone tie me "quite tightly" with the chain - to the point that you can see impressions of the chain on my skin for minutes after the release - and have my hands covered with a heavy handkerchief. I then redirecting the attention of the person who chained me, and during the redirection I remove one hand and wipe my brow, or act like I am cleaning my ear etc, to the delight of the audience, and then when the helper looks back - my hand is securely under the handkercheif and I ask him to check my hands to make sure the circulation isnt cut off, and the audience really gets a kick when they also see me tightly chained again.

Some comedy, and some escapeology is a good combination for some applause.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
I do the Siberian Handcuffs escape. It is simple to learn and very effective. You DO need to sell the effect though. Highly recomended. I use a choke cain minus the one end loop. Also get the most forboding lock you can find.
Most magically yours,
WR
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
Tony Chapparo
View Profile
Special user
Albuquerque, NM
704 Posts

Profile of Tony Chapparo
Alan,
don't forget about thumbcuffs....I use them for a walk around in and out comedy routine.

They work nicely for that, if indeed that is what you meant by "in and out"

Regards,
Tony
Tony Chapparo