The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: F/X :: Pyros or not pyros, that is the question. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
SnakeBabe
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
90 Posts

Profile of SnakeBabe
No pets, no props and no pyro!

The three P’s of getting booked.
However I go against the grain and do all three and I am working.
The moral is you will get work with it and lose work because of it.
Make a choice and stick to it and if you do use fire please please do it legally and safely.

Hugs and Hissessss,
Maria
Backroomboy
View Profile
Regular user
David
114 Posts

Profile of Backroomboy
And if you make it blow up ... make it blow up real good.

And always contact the local authorities ... if nothing else, they become used to you.
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1387 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
I think the days of doing fire effects are seriously coming to an end. The Great White Rhode Island tragedy is too big of a price to pay for some quick thrills from a pyro effect. If you currently do pyro, see if you can get a similar reaction from using confetti, or a flash of light (such as a FISM flash). I know that fire looks cool, but it is so dangerous.
yosef_dov
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC area
242 Posts

Profile of yosef_dov
Greetings...

Would use of a Flash Pot once during a show, as well as a couple of candles (lit by hand) possibly require any special licensing or permitting? The flash pot is flash only— nothing shoots out of it into the air...

Thanks,
Joe
Smile
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Yosef,
It used to be that any open flame on stage technicaly requires permit and/or fire marshal pressence. Has this changed?

-Josh
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
SnakeBabe
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
90 Posts

Profile of SnakeBabe
As far as I know even if the venue has candles on the table they must have a permit.

In Las Vegas and every town I perform in, I have to have a certificate of registration, about 20 pages of info on how I transport, store and use fuels, how effects are presented, safety precautions I take and my own personal insurance. Plus I perform a demonstration for the fire Marshall by appointment prior to the show. Only then do you get issued a permit to perform and the fire Marshall may or may not choose to be present.
Winslow Homer
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of Winslow Homer
Anyone knows about an effect using zippo lighter? Not tricks or spins but pyro stuff.
i would like to know who is changing my profile all the time and why.
drop me an email.
Backroomboy
View Profile
Regular user
David
114 Posts

Profile of Backroomboy
Don't forget that you are not the only one who feels that they have a say with what you do with pyro.

I worked a show once where all the permits had been taken out and the local authorities had been notified, etc.

I've been doing this for some while so all I had to do was supply the basic information and not one of the authorities involved even saw it necessary to visit us during rehearsals.

Then the production manager decided to cut down on my crew, forego the fire instruction classes I had scheduled with the local fire department and generally just let me know he was in charge.

I cancelled the permits, wrote disclaimers and threw the whole mess back in his lap and told him he could *** well do it himself if he thought he could.

There was no pyro for that show and it damaged my reputation because I bailed. I would rather bail though than have some pushy *** tell me how to do my job.

You either know pyro or you don't, and if you don't...stay clear of those who do.