The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Trying to build an illusion box for an engagement ring. Please help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
alanpaoletti
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of alanpaoletti
Hi, my name is Alan Paoletti,

I've been on the forums a couple of times in the past and have unfortunately had to take a hiatus. I'm back now and with a whopper of a problem.

I have decided to take the next step in my relationship with my girlfriend and propose!

I want to build a box small enough to appear as a normal ring box, but craft it in such a way that I can create an illusion box such as a mirror box or something of that nature. I'm primarily a close up magician so I'm not entirely sure on all of the different types or which may most easily translate to smaller box as to that of a ring.

If anyone has any ideas, if you know if this has been done before, etc etc please respond as soon as you can. I plan to propose over Valentines day.

Thank you in advance for your time, I really hope that someone will be able to help me.

Cheers,

Alan
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Let me see if I understand correctly: do you want the box to appear empty but then have an engagement ring "magically" appear inside? If that's what you're hoping to accomplish PM me and I'll give you an easy and direct way to do that.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
rhiro
View Profile
Regular user
Southern California
182 Posts

Profile of rhiro
Hi Alan,

Just a thought: If you find the smaller box too limiting, a larger one might still be nice while making your job easier. When I popped to question to my gal, I modified a small intricately carved hinged wooden box that I had found at some antique store. The size (3" x 3" x 1.5") gave me a lot more options for adding fun stuff, plus it had the benefit of not telegraphing to her what was about to happen. Also, she LOVED the look of the box. She thought it looked like it came straight out of The Illusionist.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Ross
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Make a small drawer box.
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
alanpaoletti
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of alanpaoletti
Thanks for all the responses guys, I really appreciate it.

Alan
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1664 Posts

Profile of elimagic
I Would also use a cool hand made, hand carved, antique looking drawer box.
hocuspocusjay23
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of hocuspocusjay23
I also like the idea of the antique drawer box. You could also use the old t.tip and a love note of some kind. After letting her read the note, you could roll it up into a cone and let the ring roll out into her hand or yours. Another idea is to reach down in the middle of a rose and appear the ring using the t.tip.

Good luck