The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Building a Zig Zag (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
WayneCapps
View Profile
Special user
Charleston, SC
769 Posts

Profile of WayneCapps
Thanks guys for the support. It was a fun project to work on, now I have a fun new toy. I guess off and on it took me about 20 hours to build. Painting, sanding and the details took longer than the build.
Lothar
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of Lothar
I am giving my zig zag a tune-up. The hinges that attach the sides to the base are out of line, due to ordinary wear and tear. Is there a good , intelligent way to re-align these? Is there a better way to attach the sides to the base? (My guys tend to lean while inside.)
calimagician
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of calimagician
Thank Pete for the Harbin tip!

That's great!
calimagician
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of calimagician
Enjoy the master at work!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDhRakSSyHM

Harbin was great!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
STUDY THE SUBTLETIES... Thanks, I had not seen that clip.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1664 Posts

Profile of elimagic
It so much simpler than any other presentation ive ever seen. The magic speeks for itself, truly magical. It is videos of true magicians like this that remind me why I perform. This is truly something every one of us should strive to achieve
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
Look at the reaction of the spectator! Priceless!
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
Spyder
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Spyder
Good Job! I would have never guessed it wasn't prefetionaly made.
"Do you like card tricks" he asked.
I said no.
He did five
-W. Somerset Maugham
WayneCapps
View Profile
Special user
Charleston, SC
769 Posts

Profile of WayneCapps
Thanks so much. I really enjoyed building it.
MagicJack99
View Profile
New user
North Pole, Alaska
34 Posts

Profile of MagicJack99
Here is a suggestion when building a zig zag, If you don't need to make it pack totally flat I would not make the middle section break down, make it as solid as possible, it will take up a bit more room when you pack it but it will last for many more years, also in the front supports, use a metal threaded tube, don't just drill a hole in the wood, the weight of the upper box will cause the hole to wear out faster.
Also I eliminated the rollers and used a hinged piece of wood to cover the outer hole. I find the roller did not always cooperate when you need them to.. Finally if you don't need to break the illusion down, formica makes a nice finish, but adds weight. just some things I tried that worked. Good Luck
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
Good job, Wayne. I'm getting ready to build one. I should be receiving my Paul Osbourne Zig Zag plans in a day or two.
How much do you figure it cost to build yours?
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
That's great, Pete!

I always thought the narrow blades were suspicious. That's a brilliant solution!
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I never realized that Harbin's original folded up...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
James FX
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia
178 Posts

Profile of James FX
Wizardpa had a great question for Wayne that I think would help us all: About how much do you figure it cost you to build after all was said and done?
WayneCapps
View Profile
Special user
Charleston, SC
769 Posts

Profile of WayneCapps
Sorry, guys, missed the thread. It cost me about $200 and about 15 trips to Lowes, give or take a little. I had pieces of plywood and the sandpaper lying around. Other than that, I bought everything. I think all the hardware cost more than the actual wood. I had a hard time figuring out which latches and bolts to use and had to try different things to see which ones worked the best.

If I were to do it again, I think I could do it for less than $200. It really was not a hard build. Once the problem solving with the middle piece was finished, it went pretty quickly. If anyone builds their own, please post pics.
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Awesome job, Wayne .. I really loved the "House for Sale" sign.

Next time around, I would suggest 3/8" birch plywood. This is pretty much standard for illusion builders. When properly prepared, the wood grain will disappear. Birch is a little harder to find but well worth the search.

Harbin's presentation was great .. it really makes a difference. It's been a long time since I've had a Zig Zag, but this really sparked my interest. I've always wanted to restore an Owen Brothers .. who knows, maybe someone has got one out there collecting dust.

Steve
James FX
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia
178 Posts

Profile of James FX
Thanks, Wayne. $200(ish) makes this a candidate for a "basement project" for me this winter. I, for one, have learned TONS from this thread, so thank you for sharing your pictures and experiences. I'll do the same.
WayneCapps
View Profile
Special user
Charleston, SC
769 Posts

Profile of WayneCapps
Thanks, James. I am glad you learned a lot. It was a fun build. I learned that just because you have a good set of plans doesn't mean you are ready to build. There is a lot of problem solving that you have to do. You have to take a lot of liberties with materials that are similar and make due with what you can get at your local hardware store. If you look at all the pictures, you can see where I had to improvise.
James FX
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia
178 Posts

Profile of James FX
Great advice- to be prepared for all the problem solving and improvisation necessary for a build like this. I'm up for the challenge; I have always enjoyed problem solving (make a living doing so) and consider myself a Jr. MacGyver (lol) so I'm definitely crazy enough to think I can do it! Thanks, Wayne.