The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Magic using Calculator (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
solylkundu
View Profile
New user
Kolkata, India
19 Posts

Profile of solylkundu
Will someone please tell me about good magic using calculator?
I’m not interested in marketed items. Anything published in the
book or magazine in details will be highly appreciated. Please
treat this request as urgent.

Thanking you in advance.

solylkundu
Magic Makes Merriment.

Merriment is Magnified by

Solyl Kundu, The Magician.
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1700 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Type in 58008 and turn it upside down. I believe that was in one of Harry Lorayne's books.
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Do you want…

mathematical tricks
  • (enter 12345679 and multiply by any product of nine and another digit to get a whole row of that digit)
  • (enter any three digit number twice – 123123 – then divide by 7, divide by 11, and divide by 13, to get your original 3 digit number - 123)

or

visual tricks
  • (type in 71077345 and turn it over) usually only works on 7 segment displays, not dot-matrix type, because of font styling.
  • A list of “calculator friendly words" can be found here:
http://homepages.strath.ac.uk/~cjbs17/ca......rds.html

or

science tricks
  • (add 1 and take the square root – over and over and over – to find the golden ratio to any decimal place – 1.6180339887…)
  • (take the reciprocal of the square root of 2 to get the sine of 45 degrees)

Only know of one “marketed item”, and it’s way too easy to figure out.
Don’t have any books, but know a few “interesting amusements”.

(This isn’t written umop-apisdn)
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
leko
View Profile
Loyal user
Netherlands
202 Posts

Profile of leko
There's a very nice effect in The Linking Ring, April 1991, 99:
'Tutor's Revenge' by Doug Canning.

Tell the spectator to do some simple arithmetic on a calculator you lend him.
In your hands, you have a calculator in a fitting box. At the end, you know the number he has chosen.
Of course, he's not impressed and will say: "That's easy because you have a calculator yourself." Then, you show him the box in your hands is empty.

Sorry, it's difficult to explain this effect in a few words, but I've always had great success with it; not only with laymen, but also with magicians.
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
648 Posts

Profile of the fritz
Richard Osterlind has a trick in his Mind Mysteries Too series with a calculator that you can gimmick yourself. It is an excellent effect, I think. Not sure which volume it's on... you'll have to search for it on L&L's website or elsewhere.
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2230 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
Check out Marc DeSouza's DVDs. He has a wonderful routine and talks about the correct calculator, the EASY setup and gives credit to who came up with it. Just brilliant. I went to Walmart and bought one the next day...it is now my forcing calculator.
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Enter (68888889). Now enter (Plus 12345678). Now show the face of the calculator to the spectator. He should think you only entered 12345678.

Ask him if he knows what the heaviest number is. Then, tell him it is eight. Now prove it by tapping the calculator on its left side (At the same time, you secretly hit the = button), and the eight will jump to the left side. The number now is 81234567.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Great one, Eldon!

Regards,
Mike