The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tenyo of Japan :: Rarest and most expensive Tenyo (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
And the brass coin box collection comes in two styles: American coins or Japanese coins. The boxes are different colors. I used to have them and gave photos to Angelo, which are on his website.
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1484 Posts

Profile of Angelo Carbone
Quote:
On 2012-01-10 17:12, Killertweety wrote:
Haha indeed Richard - not so long ago Magico Japan sold it and I'm sure if you ask her she would still be able to get it Smile The only thing that kept me from buying it is the fact I think (!) I already own most of the tricks (although they do not seem like the regular versions of their tricks and some tricks look like nothing Tenyo has ever produced in their T-line) and the instructions are in Japanese. But the listing made me think it's perhaps a nice investment for the future Smile
Do you perhaps own (or have seen/opened) this set and can you tell us something more about it?

And indeed Rhett, the brass versions of the tricks are extremely rare and therefore very valuable! From the people I know only Angelo Carbone owns them.

I don't own the brass boxes.
The Gift: Trick of the Year 2017
My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/themagicinventor
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
The Tenyo World of Magic set is great. It has many "plussed" versions of tricks you may already know, but done in the special Tenyo style. And it has tricks they've never put out before, plus an enormous instruction book and DVD. Between the DVD performances and drawings in the instruction book, it's all pretty easy to figure out.
guerrestellari
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of guerrestellari
It's been 10 years since this thread has been active. I guess perception and situation would have changed in these 10 years. At the same time, I think it would be very difficult to pin down a list of "rare" Tenyo items because Tenyo's products spans from more obscured domestic-only releases, and those that are exported overseas, which would be more widely known to collectors outside Japan. So the scope can be really wide, and it would be impossible to pin down a definitive list.

But I would attempt to come up with a few lists with some qualifications. I shall not venture into the mirky list of Domestic Japan-only tricks, pre-1960s nor Magic Box Sets or the TC Sets - some of them could be so obscure that they only surface sporadically - cos otherwise, the list would become too long...

Mainstream Tricks that I consider Rare (To find complete with packaging)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Break-away Fan
2) Die-Abolical Box
3) Walt Disney World
4) Coin Case
5) Rainbow Silks (USA Flag version)
6) Floating Lady (Doug Henning version)
7) That is your Card
8) Super Stick
9) Melting Loop
10) Invisible Man

A second list I would like to make is a list of more desirable/popular Tenyo that most collectors (Serious or casual) would want to find / have in their collection and that would probably justify the higher prices if they are made available for sale. They may not be necessarily very rare, and I have purposely excluded any of the tricks that I had in my first list above

Mainstream Tricks that I consider desirable in Collections
----------------------------------------------------------
1) Ultra Tube
2) SideTrack
3) Mystery China Box
4) Floating Lady
5) Mirage
6) Cross Roads
7) Excalibur
8) Astro Coin
9) Mini Morphosis
10) Eye of the Idol
Deckstacker
View Profile
Elite user
Sunny SoCal
442 Posts

Profile of Deckstacker
It's now been another year since this thread has been active, but a quick search for "rare Tenyo magic" these days on the Big Auction Site will usually yield multiple hits for vintage items such as Mystery China Box in the $100-$300+ range.

Bottom line: You may want to consider adding vintage Tenyo to your "great investment" lists along with classic automobiles, vintage wines, rare coins and fine art as a vehicle to preserve your wealth in these troubled times.
Never try to teach a pig how to sing. You will waste your time, and it annoys the pig.