The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Mirror Jars...custom mirrors? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
pbg739
View Profile
Veteran user
San Jose, Ca
340 Posts

Profile of pbg739
Hey fellows.

I am working on a routine that involved two large jars (think candy jars...bout the size of a small fish aquarium), I am wondering if you knew any sources that make custom mirrors for a mirror glass/jar or if a magic company makes large mirror JARS (not vase) ?

any input is appreciated.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
I don't know the effect you're going for, but if you spray paint the interior of any glass jar with chrome paint, the outside of the glass becomes a reflective mirror.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
pbg739
View Profile
Veteran user
San Jose, Ca
340 Posts

Profile of pbg739
I'll give it a shot. Basically I want to show a jar/glass as empty, and then make it fill with candy. I tried a Black *** approach and it doesn't look right. In some mockups I made of the jar, a mirror glass will totally do the trick. Thanks!
abrell
View Profile
Loyal user
Remscheid, Germany
284 Posts

Profile of abrell
Try suppliers for mirrors made from polycarbonate (=plastic). They will also sell small pieces. The material can be cut with a hacksaw.
downbeatcohort
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of downbeatcohort
Great ideas.
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Take a piece of cardboard and make a template of inside of the jar. You'll need a jar that doesn't narrow at the top. Take this template to your local glass shop and have them cut TWO pieces of mirror to the templates size. You'll want to stick these two pieces back to back, a few dabs of clear caulking will do. Be careful about using glues, as they may mess with the silver backing on the mirror. Place a little more caulking on the sides of this double mirror and stick in place inside the jar. You can buy silver tape if you feel the need to mask the seam at the top of the two mirrors. This is how my pal makes his Deluxe Mirror Glasses.

Good luck,

John
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
As a jar usually has a narrower neck area then the body of the jar, I do not see how this can be done without having a glass blower make the jar. There is flexible mirror sold for automobiles or truck large side mirror replacements. They have adhesive on the back, but they are not large enough for a candy jar as displayed in stores for what use to be called 'Penny' candy.

My suggestion is to use another magic prop to produce and pour the candy into the jar, it will make a more exciting and dramatic production for the kids to see all that candy streaming into the jar. There are many props available both home made and some items available by magic dealers.

The anticipation of receiving the treats will excite and delight the kids.

Back to your original request, if you find a plastic jar as these are available in many candy stores, you might be able to find a plastic mirror that will bow so you can insert it into a jar.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
If you can use a plastic jar, you may be able to cut the bottom, insert the mirror and then reattach the bottom, using some type of masking to conceal the seam.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
You may also want to consider using polished stainless steel for the mirror.
Mister Mystery
MagicMatthews
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
174 Posts

Profile of MagicMatthews
Easiest source is the sivler mirrored window tint material. I went to my local car window tinter and asked for some offcuts. He gave me some for free. It's actually about 60% mirror I think, but with no light behind it then it will become a complete mirror. Just paste it against something opaque. Advantage in your case is that you can bend it to get it to fit into a jar.
Don't get even... Get odd!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2010-01-02 19:03, MagicMatthews wrote:
Easiest source is the sivler mirrored window tint material. I went to my local car window tinter and asked for some offcuts. He gave me some for free. It's actually about 60% mirror I think, but with no light behind it then it will become a complete mirror. Just paste it against something opaque. Advantage in your case is that you can bend it to get it to fit into a jar.

Great solution so far, put it on thin plastic sheeting from the craft store or hobby shop and it will work just fine.
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Quote:
You'll need a jar that doesn't narrow at the top.

Of course there's more than on way to skin a cat!!! DO NOT use a glass jar, bottle, or plastic container that doesn't have some kind of pattern to it, otherwise it will look exactly like what you have..... a container with a mirror inside. You need to use something like the glass in this link (I beleive these where made by my friend)

http://www.daytonamagic.com/products/SEA......ASS.html

I pesonally wouldn't use anything but real mirror. It's the most reflective and creates the best illusion, just my opinion though.

Here's a picture of what I'd use (do a search on THE auction site for candy jar or cut glass candy jar and you'll find many more examples).

Hope it works out for you.

John

Click here to view attached image.
pbg739
View Profile
Veteran user
San Jose, Ca
340 Posts

Profile of pbg739
Thanks for all of the input. I went to an auto store and saw a mirrored decal kind of thing. It's 12 bucks a roll but I think it's going to be exactly what I needed!
Bambu
View Profile
Elite user
California
499 Posts

Profile of Bambu
Mylar is a reflective and flexible material that can be use in narrow neck jars.
Rick Fisher
View Profile
Elite user
Rick Fisher
471 Posts

Profile of Rick Fisher
We are using the mirror decal stuff for new misers dream cup we ar working on and it works great. You can also buy pleximirror at local hardware store and you can cut it on a table saw - just be careful to leave the protective coating on while you cut it.
Rick Fisher, President FAB Magic

"One of the largest magic shops in the world!"

www.fabmagic.com
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
891 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
The flexible adhesive mirror looks like what I am going to use. Here is a yt video at the point where you can see the quality of the mirror.

https://youtu.be/BJ0kpTq-lKQ?t=3m33s