The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: What is best resource for Gypsy Thread routine? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
Quote:
On 2013-01-19 23:39, motown wrote:
Is his routine in print?

Bill Abbott has it:

http://www.billabbottmagic.com/online-st......ngs.html
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3788 Posts

Profile of takeachance
A few years ago I saw a young guy do a version talking about a girl in the resistance during WW2. She was captured, tortured for her lovers identity who led the resistance and she eventually died at the hands of the SS. They could never break her resolve loyalty or love. I would luv to come across the clip again. Best gypsy thread routine I've ever seen.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6145 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On 2013-01-20 09:53, Doug Arden wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-01-19 23:39, motown wrote:
Is his routine in print?

Bill Abbott has it:

http://www.billabbottmagic.com/online-st......ngs.html
thanks for the link.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
TheTrickman
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of TheTrickman
Resurrecting an old thread here...sorry.

I'm currently on the hunt for a method for the gypsy thread that can be repeated in a table hopping scenario. I already own Heartstrings in which the method, for me, isn't incredibly practical for someone performing it 10-15 times an evening. I currently use the Alan Wong Dragon thread routine which is instantly repeatable but for me lacks some of my favourite elements (the snapping of the thread into separate strands/ placing the ball of thread onto the short piece)

I have ordered the Greatest gypsy thread DVD but am asking just in case someone has some further resources I can hunt down.

Thanks
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
In all of my years of researching this effect and searching for various methods, the only good methods I have found allowing for instant repeats are the Max Londono 'Eternal String' and the Mike Wong "Dragon Thread", which are pretty much the same effect.

Using dragon thread you can still get the sound of the thread breaking by actually breaking some of the smaller individual threads. In doing this you eventually have to replace the floss, but you have to do that anyway after some time of using them because they just get tatty after many repeated performances.

I worked out a way some years ago to have a traditional-type restoration when using Dragon Thread, that is to say balling up the small threads and attaching them to a single strand, then restoring it. It is not as open as with other Gypsy Thread routines, but it works.

@TheTrickman: You will not find any "instant" repeat versions on the WGM Gypsy Thread DVD but what you will find is a nice collection of various styles of presentations and ideas for the effect. The DVD is definitely worth having in my opinion.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
This is for me one of the best resources. the Ali Bongo tips are gold. http://www.lybrary.com/the-hindu-thread-......098.html
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2013-11-06 13:43, ROBERT BLAKE wrote:
This is for me one of the best resources. the Ali Bongo tips are gold. http://www.lybrary.com/the-hindu-thread-......098.html

This is also a very good source - worth more than the mere $7/USD they charge for it!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The Ali Bongo version which is credited to Marconic is in print in the great Supreme Teach-In collection L&L Publishing recently published.

Marconic's version is of course in his hard bound book, which is out of print.

The only instantly repeatable version of the Gypsy Thread was sold by the Niberco Brothers from Europe. It could only be repeated one more time.

The late great Eddie Joseph also had a Gypsy Thread routine, he had the mending yarn on the card it come on, and used a TT. It is published in his book as well that is currently out of print.

The original question to this post is very difficult to answer as with anything in this world it comes down to personal likes and dislikes. After all the trick is the same to the spectators and audience. The only differences is the slight handling differences or materials, which only affect the performer, and not the outcome to the trick.

Oddly enough with most people it is the 1st handling they were exposed to and learned and actually performed. I know I have several effects I learned as a youngster and still perform today, even though I have been exposed to others thinking and methods over the years. Nothing feels as comfortable as a trick you know very well and have total confidence in performing. That comfort can come across to the your audience as pure entertainment and yes even fooling them.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Wow! I still use the one I got from Tannen's forty years ago!
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
I just saw a presentation and tutorial on Kozmo's Reel Magic website using dental floss as a Gypsy Thread.
Quite an interesting variation.
Ihor