The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Subtle Concepts DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
godsend12887
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of godsend12887
Subtle Concepts is now available.

SubtleConcepts.net

.Feedback and Reviews are welcome.
Rpascual
View Profile
Special user
USA
668 Posts

Profile of Rpascual
Looks nice I'll wait for some reviews. The demo looks good.
studentoflife
View Profile
Veteran user
Paris, France
310 Posts

Profile of studentoflife
Any reviews?
- Y
<BR>"Nothing is difficult...it's all about what you want, and how bad you want it."
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
2001 Posts

Profile of iamslow
Im still waiting for mine to come in... once it does, ill post a review..
"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
KC
View Profile
Special user
Utah
571 Posts

Profile of KC
I have seen the DVD and started writing an overview, but since I'm "featured" in the Subtle Concepts DVD, my comments would be biased. Instead, here's what Jack Carpenter had to say about the DVD:

"Well, doesn't seem to be TOO much subtle card work there- just some pretty serious card manipulation! Thoroughly enjoyed your work, particularly the color changes. I think that "Mechanics Shift" is worth the price of the DVD

You guys have great chops, and much of your stuff will give the average card man some trouble, but for those that can handle it, they're gonna love it! The ace productions, the full retention cuts- the "extreme" guys are all gonna find something to play with in there. (I'm not much of a "extreme cutting" person, but I know that there are many who are- and this will make them happy, I'm sure.!) I also like "Flushing the Aces". That's an eyepopper for sure. And also the "Gone Fishin 4 Aces'". . . nice!

For me, I will be playing with "The Mechanics Shift", "Mid-Boom" and "Shooter", "Pop a Fan", "Half2twelve", "The Huck Change". Those are my absolute favorites of the lot! I was so pleased to see how much visual card magic there was in there- not just flourishes. Well, thanks again for sending me this, and please- feel free to quote me on any or all of the above if you want."

- Jack "Seattle Sessions" Carpenter (Card Expert from Washington)
http://sc.000space.com/Subtle_Concepts_Quotes.php
in flames
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto
1030 Posts

Profile of in flames
Finally. I've been looking out for this for a few months. One of my next purchases for sure.

Looking forward to more reviews.
Tom Dobrowolski
View Profile
Special user
662 Posts

Profile of Tom Dobrowolski
I was fortunate to pick up a copy of this DVD last week on my trip to the islands. It's really good! Very well produced with a lot of nice ideas and sleights/tools for any card guy.

The mechnics shift is great and has tons of applications. One of the applications with it is worth the price of the DVD. There's a collection of ace productions and color changes that are also very good. A lot of good stuff. It's not card juggling at all but flourishes, sleights and routines that are magical. Material you can incorporate within your current repertioire to make it better.

I like it a lot. Do yourself a favor and order a copy. You'll be glad you did.
Jaybs
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of Jaybs
I purchased and viewed the DVD after viewing a demo of the Mechanic's Shift in action.

There are some great card sleights on this DVD. However, the teaching is severely lacking. Background music and text to explain finger position, set-up, etc is used to teach the material. There are other magic DVDs that have used this teaching format with great success and that I found very easy to learn from.

However, in my opinion, Subtle Concepts does poorly in explaining how to perform the sleights/effects that are shown.

- Explanations are only shown once (most at regular speed as oppose to slow motion, so be prepared to hit the rewind/slow mo button multiple times)

- Multiple angles are not used to simplify the learning process. Over the shoulder/under the deck views would have been very beneficial to learn hand and finger placement.

I'll admit that I'm one of those people that prefer to have material explained verbally when I buy a DVD, as oppose to the 'music accompanied with text' format. I don't mind text, as long as it explains the steps clearly, which again, this DVD does not do well.

Overall, I think the sleights/effects in Subtle Concepts are wonderful, and card lovers will find something worthwhile. I would recommend this to the advanced card worker for the DVD assumes that the viewer already has fundamental knowledge of beginner/intermediate card sleights (i.e. palm, faro, etc). If you don't mind the lack of clarity in the explanations, I think you'll enjoy Subtle Concepts. The two magicians featured in this DVD are very talented, and I look forward to their future contributions.
godsend12887
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of godsend12887
The shift and just the shift will be sold at Vanishingincmagic.com soon -
If anyone is interested in learning more, in depth.
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1882 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
As allready stated, some of the sleights and effects could be wonderfull but there simply is way too many things wrong in this dvd that one could recommend it without regrets...

The picture is far from DVD quality. Lighting is bad. Performances are over before you even realised they started and its hard to even realise what in the world was the effect without constant going back with remote. And last but not least, the teaching is absolutely horrible.

Seems to me that the makers used all their time on making appealing trailer and just scrabbed the rest together. The material would have great potential of being up the in same league with System and other Buck twins materials, but presented this way I feel that most people will just ignore them. Instead of making few bucks with the dvd, the makers could have hitted a jackpot if they had little more patience...
Jaybs
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of Jaybs
Quote:
On 2010-04-12 01:14, godsend12887 wrote:
The shift and just the shift will be sold at Vanishingincmagic.com soon -
If anyone is interested in learning more, in depth.

Will this 'in-depth' tutorial of the mechanic's shift be available free of charge for those who had purchased the Subtle Concepts DVD and can provide proof of purchase?

I believe this would be a reasonable request being that the sleight was not explained in detail on the DVD.
godsend12887
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of godsend12887
You could try contacting them personally via email, I'm sure they would love to help you with the shift.
msmaster
View Profile
Special user
522 Posts

Profile of msmaster
Any release date on the mechanic's shift download?
godsend12887
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of godsend12887
Quote:
On 2010-04-20 18:08, msmaster wrote:

don't know for sure, but very - soon
solareflipz
View Profile
Veteran user
Orlando, Fl
308 Posts

Profile of solareflipz
Quote:
On 2010-04-23 19:49, godsend12887 wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-04-20 18:08, msmaster wrote:

don't know for sure, but very - soon

http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-d......icsShift

Now.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
For DVDs like this, where things go a tad fast or the explanation is lacking, I've found that the "Ultimate DVD Player" software from Roni Music is a huge help. You can slow down and endlessly loop small sections of any DVD, while retaining the sound quality. I use it all the time when trying to learn from DVDs.

Here's the link:
http://ronimusic.com/
Now appearing nightly in my basement.