The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Knots and loops :: Cutting ropes for Prof. Nightmare (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
ClodAppleleft
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester, NH
195 Posts

Profile of ClodAppleleft
I one time saw a magician do a routine, where he folded a long rope in to 3 equal lengths, then had a spectator cut the rope, and they were 3 different sized lengths, and then he went in to the Prof. Nightmare. Anyone know the name of the effect, and where I can get a copy of the workings?

Thanks,

Jeff
There are many different ways to cut an apple.
Vibono Magic
View Profile
Special user
Växjö,Sweden
647 Posts

Profile of Vibono Magic
I do this routine in my kid shows. And it works great, it's called the Professors Nightmare in licorise (at least in the publication I saw it in) Pm me if you want more details or send me an email and I will try to help you out.
Vibono Mirage
Magic entertainer and Balloon artist
dlhoyt
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of dlhoyt
Slydini had this way of getting into the PN. I think it is described in one of the Karl Fulves two-volume sets of Slydini's magic. Sorry I can't remember which one.

Dale Hoyt
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I came up with a way to do this and we were going to market it as the NEMO ROPE TRICK through Ken Brooke. You star with one long rope, spectator cuts twice, and after Professor's Nightmare type sequence you finish with one long rope.

In essence, the start is the key setup. I will try to describe it here.

With about 8 feet of rope, hold one end in your left hand with thumb and first finger. Right hand grips other end, brings it up and LAYS IT ACROSS the rope in LH. (Makes a X) Holding both ends in LH, your RH reaches up and grips top end of rope end A (first end you held), pulling down toward you until the end reaches the bottom of the loop made by doing this.

You now re-adjust the ropes in LH, finding a loop at the top. Cut this and cut the bottom loop.

You now have 1 long, 1 medium, 1 short piece of rope.

This is similar, BUT FAR SIMPLER and less suspicious than Slydini's.

BTW... I believe Whit's Mongolian Pop Knots is the BEST version out there.

Followed by the Conway rope trick. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations Pete,

I really like your handling for the PN set-up. I want to ask, because I don't want to assume, permission to use your handling.

Second, can you describe the Conway rope trick effect?, and where can it be found either in print or for puchase? I've seen a couple of references to it, but have never found an explanation.

Thanks, and have a great weekend.

Joe in KC

Live a great adventure, make magic happen!
Martin_H
View Profile
Regular user
Austria
164 Posts

Profile of Martin_H
There are several sources for that - eg Jean Merlins Rope Routine and also similar handling in Michael Sondermeyers book "Magic for Children" (147 ff)

Martin
life is real magic
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The Conway rope trick was a Ken Brooke item, similar to Professor's Nightmare, but you end up with one long rope (apparently) at the end. Joe Stevens has the Ken Brooke range, and can maybe help you.

Someone left me a private message regarding my rope cutting and I accidentally hit "delete" instead of reply. I need your email address or another private message. Thanks.

Smile

Joe in KC: Go ahead and use the move. I have lectured on it a lot... and discovered that Ammar put it in print without permission... argh...
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations Pete,
Thank you for both the handling and the info. Have a great weekend.

Joe in KC

Live a great weekend, make magic happen!
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Paul Green's "In The Trenches" shows a cool routine that starts out with a cut and restored rope and ends up with the prof. nightmare. Maybe not exactly what you wanted but you do "make" the ropes in view of the audience.
-Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1229 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
Aldo Colombini has a version called the Mama Mia rope routine that starts off as a C&R rope and then the rope is cut for the Prof. Nightmare. A 3 phase routine. I have the book and video that I would be willing to sell if you are interested.

Michael
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I learned the professor nightmare setup move from Whit Haydn's Mogolian Pop Knot book. It's a great routine and Whit's moves are very well thought out. His handling works well for me. I also have the Slydini book that describes the effect, but I found Whit's to be better written and more clear to me. I guess, as Pete said, the Haydn handling is a bit different. It sounds very similar to what Pete described above. Of course, you also get Whit's great routine, jokes, etc.

Jim

I've heard that Aldo's routine allows you to throw the rope out at the end? Is that right?
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Sadly I can't ask Aldo next week, as he has had to CANCEL his trip to FISM... his Dr. said, "It is now time for your Hernia transplant." So, Aldo will be having the surgery and cannot travel.

You could go to http://www.mammamiamagic.com and email him to ask... he might even sell you the routine over the net...

I just go this Jumbo Coincidence card routine, which is fabulous.

Smile
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
Hi all,

Yes, I do have a handling for the Prof.'s Nightmare on my DVD, In the Trenches. Feel free to contact me directly for any questions.

Good luck to Aldo!!!!

Regards,

Paul Green
paulgreen@earthlink.net Smile Smile Smile
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10969 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Yes Paul and Aldo do have very nice routines. In the Trenches is a a excellent DVD, as well as Aldo's Mama Mia Rope Magic.
Paul showed me the original handling of Roy Waltons Card Warp.
Paul use to be Italian.
ALDO get well pisan.

vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
cheaptrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Wilmington, Delaware
251 Posts

Profile of cheaptrick
I use the "PN Setup" as a phase in my rope routine.

I eventually totally restore the rope and pass it out for examination at the end.

This was posted on ALLMAGIC.COM earlier this year.

Smile
"Pick any card. NOT that one!!!"