The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Harrisons bird foods, good, bad? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
I went to the vet today and she said that this bird pellet called Harrison's bird seed gives a better diet for the doves and there is no need to put any vitamins in the food like you would in seed.

Does anyone use this and can comment on how it is? My doves won't even eat it but she said there is a transitional period. Does everyone think I should keep it traditional and just feed them with a regular seed diet, and added vitamins and minerals?

Any help would be greatly appreciated because I think I wasted $15...

thanks
magicpro
View Profile
New user
montreal
51 Posts

Profile of magicpro
Yeah I have 4 doves and 3 like it and the other one just likes the seed so I need like 2 seperate dishes. I don't know if your birds like it or not, but I say go for the regular seed, it's safer.
Thank you and God bless
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
That's quite weird,
only 3 like it?

Thanks for the info...
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4865 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
DJ, first of all, why did you go to the vet. Are you having problems or were you just on a question and answer mission? If your birds have been eating the seed, there really isn't any reason to change their diet. I think you'll find that the cost of buying the seed and the vitamins is probably equal to or less than the Harrisons seed. The reason you don't add vitamins to it is because they are already in it so you are paying for them one way or another.

Magicpro's situation is not unusual. None of my birds have ever liked pellets or any seed other than the dove mix or sometimes canary seed. If you want my advice, I'd say stick to what is working for you.

If you want to give your birds a real treat, get some Canary song food. It smells like licorice. My birds go crazy over it.
Where the magic begins
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Dave, thanks very much, I am going with that then because you just have soo much knowledge..

Thanks again
stephenbanning
View Profile
Regular user
United States
178 Posts

Profile of stephenbanning
Just remember that bird food loses a lot of its vitamins after a few months so buying in bulk isn't a good idea.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4865 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
That all depends on how many birds you have. In my case, I'm supporting 18 birds and buy my seed in 25lb bags. That's about a month's supply and it's cheaper than buying small quantities. I add vitamins to the seed and water all the time anyway.
Where the magic begins
stephenbanning
View Profile
Regular user
United States
178 Posts

Profile of stephenbanning
Dave,

Yes. I spoke too soon. I have only seven birds and had the problem of buying too much.

Stephen