The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Ever so sleightly :: Cups and Balls :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
CardFan
View Profile
Elite user
Found the Socks !
430 Posts

Profile of CardFan
Hello; I really would like to purchase a fine set of cups and balls with a chop cup. Could you tip me on where to find one that may resist a lifetime of using?
Aiming to become the only magician in the world that has ever produced the lost socks back from the dryer...
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Since I don't make one as you asked about, I would go to http://www.stevensmagic.com and buy a set of Johnson Cups and a Johnson Chop Cup that matches, then you have about as good a set as possible.

However, if you want a routine like few are doing, check out the Cups and Balls "teach in" video at Stevens, look at Johnny Paul's routine.

Then buy the cups I make (Joe sells 'em) and you will have what is like a chop cup in each cup without magnets, you will have a routine that is more ENTERTAINING than the usual and be DIFFERENT than 99% of the other magicians.

Believe me! Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Mago Mai
View Profile
Elite user
Venezuela
485 Posts

Profile of Mago Mai
I bought a set at Steven's Emporium some 20 years ago and they are still working.

Mago Mai
I invite all of you to share some of my magic on videos.Please, CLICK HERE
CardFan
View Profile
Elite user
Found the Socks !
430 Posts

Profile of CardFan
Many thanks Pete, I don't know about your set but I will search for intel on that. Do you have a demo vid ?

WOW big mess in my post today.
Pete do you know where I can find a demo vid of your product ? You will understand that $255 is an amount that you don't spend without a bit of demo, even if the quality looks great on the picture. Thanks in advance.
Aiming to become the only magician in the world that has ever produced the lost socks back from the dryer...
thimblerig
View Profile
Loyal user
Bellevue, WA
273 Posts

Profile of thimblerig
Pete's cups aren't $255, they are $155.00.

See them here:

http://www.stevensmagic.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=946

There is no particular demo that I know of for this item or any set of cups and balls as far as demoing the cups. Generally you find a routine that suits you, then modify it to make it unique. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of routines in print and on video and DVD. The Stevens Magic tape on the cups and balls includes Johnny Paul's routine which uses cups of this design, plus several other good routines.

Another thing to take into consideration is that not all cups will work for all routines. Thus if you have a routine in mind, you should study it and see what size cups and balls you need to perform that routine. For example, most cups will not work for the Johnny Paul routine using spongeballs. These will, using 2 inch spongeballs. These cups, however, won't work for routines requiring 2 or more solid 1 inch balls to nest between two cups. Tommy Wonder's two cup routine requires specific cup-to-load dimensions to work correctly.
Hope this helps. See also James Riser's truly outstanding website on how to select a set of cups:

http://www.jamesriser.com/Cups/SelectingCups.html

Cordially,
tr
Smile Smile
Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
533 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
Regarding the chop capabilities of the Johnny Paul cups. According to at least one source Al "Chop Chop" Wheatley came up with his Chop Cup after watching Johnny Paul perform with his set of cups.
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Speaking of Chop Cups...

Does anyone know if the Chop Cup that is fashioned as a Coffee Cup works well? Saw it advertized on Brad Burts page.

Thanks,

John
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Right, Al Wheatley saw JP do the cups and created the Chop Cup. The first ones were bamboo cups with the magnet stuck in with plastic wood, and black balls.

Total coincidence the guy that now makes the Johnny Paul cups is the son of the guy that made the first metal cups for Wheatley!

I got the coffee mug and it is FABULOUS. Smile
VMC_Alex
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of VMC_Alex
I actually prefer a set of cups and balls without the chop cup gimmick. I'm not sure why. I just like it that way I guess. Smile
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I agree... the combo cup screws up my timing... and I often forget where it is. You can't beat standard sleight-of-hand with the cups.

Since I have been concentrating on the cups and balls I don't even like doing the chop cup anymore. Smile
CardFan
View Profile
Elite user
Found the Socks !
430 Posts

Profile of CardFan
Many thanks for this link thimblerig. It helped me a lot.
thimblerig
View Profile
Loyal user
Bellevue, WA
273 Posts

Profile of thimblerig
You're more than welcome. I wish I had a nanogram of James Reiser's skill...He's amazing, as is his work.
Cordially,
tr
Smile Smile
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hi Pete!
I've been eyeing those JP cups, and am I to understand you MANUFACTURE those yourself? Smile

Joe's site is awesome, and I've been intending to shop on-line when I get back on my feet, as I recently lost my job, and had to "go to ground", so to speak. I'm now back in a better paying line of work, and will look into purchasing those cups.

The combo C&B set I have, I only use regular knit balls, since as stated above, it's easy to "lose your place" when performing.

Great thread!

Thanks again!

Doug C.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
What the heck is a chop cup? I've heard of them but I've never used one. I prefer Ammar's routine
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Chop cup was originally called Chop Chop, and the magician's name escapes me, but was a wonderful routine with a single silver cup and a knit ball. Thru sleight of hand (or gimmick), the ball would appear and disappear from the cup to the magi's pocket and back. In the right hands, a very funny and entertaining routine.

Doug
Vincent
View Profile
Loyal user
New York Metro Area
270 Posts

Profile of Vincent
Hello,

The man responsible for this classic effect was Al Wheatley, who took the stage name of 'Chop Chop.'
The effect itself is known as the Chop Cup, a one cup and ball routine.

Take Care,

Vincent Smile Smile Smile