The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Puzzle me this... :: Cognitive Dissonance (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
TomasB
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1144 Posts

Profile of TomasB
At http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/06/science/06tier.html you can read about a famous psychological experiment:

"Once a monkey was observed to show an equal preference for three colors of M&M’s — say, red, blue and green — he was given a choice between two of them. If he chose red over blue, his preference changed and he downgraded blue. When he was subsequently given a choice between blue and green, it was no longer an even contest — he was now much more likely to reject the blue."

In fact he rejected blue over 65% of the time. Way above the 50% the psychologists had expected if there was not such a thing as Cognitive Dissonance.

Without Googling this experiment, how can we interpret this result? Does the brain think lesser of something when it has been rejected once? Does it rather choose new over old? Can we interpret the result in any other way?

/Tomas
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
One other way to interpret the result could be that when faced with three items, the monkey does not actively choose, but rather picks at random because the noise of three items is too great for any discriminatory action to take place. He just picks at random. However, when faced with two items, he actively can bring his powers of discrimination into action.

I don't think this explanation is true, but I think it fulfills your criteria.
TomasB
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1144 Posts

Profile of TomasB
You might be on the right track, but I don't see you writing the actual solution. It's very probable that the three objects have a rating order in the monkey's mind. Then the experiment starts.

/Tomas
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4713 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Reminds me of the famous ice cream stand experiment...

When given too many options, potential customers instead chose to do nothing and just walk by.

But when presented only a limited choice (say 3), they were able to quickly make a decision and business was much improved.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
TomasB
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1144 Posts

Profile of TomasB
Merchandisers have a lot of knowledge in this area, as Philemon points out.

I'll try to write the question a bit shorter:

If a population that is shown to choose A over B also choose C over B 2/3 of the time, what conclusion can we draw from that result?

/Tomas
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
None ?...
TomasB
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1144 Posts

Profile of TomasB
Nir is correct. Or rather, this result can't be used as a proof of Cognitive Dissonance. 2/3 is simply not enough even though it's way above the 50% the psycologists expected if the ordering was random. Why?

/Tomas
TomasB
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1144 Posts

Profile of TomasB
If I say that this is similar to the Monty Hall problem, can you show the error in the experiment?

What's interesting and a bit strange is that there have been hundreds of experiments on Cognitive Dissonance since 1956 with the same flaw before the error was pointed out recently.

/Tomas