The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Everything old is new again :: Name and origins of red/blue decks tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
55john55
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of 55john55
I have two questions I hope someone can answer.
1. I would like the name for a trick I call the red/blue decks trick.
The effect: (a very brief summary) First a spectator chooses a number between 5 and 10 (let's say he chooses 7.) Then both a red backed and blue backed deck are shown to the spectator. The spectator makes a choice.The other deck is shown to be a regular deck and handed to the spectator. The chosen deck is shown to be a regular deck. The spectator chooses a card from the deck. the card is replaced in the deck and then vanishes. The non-chosen deck is then opened and the selected card is shown to be the 7th card down in the non-chosen deck (of the opposite color)
2. Does anyone know the correct name or anything about the history of this trick?
Thanks.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1810 Posts

Profile of Rennie
I believe you may be referring to , believe it or not, "The Red & Blue Deck", and as I recall by Bob Haskell.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
This sounds vaguely like a version of "you do as I do," but some of the elements are missing.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1810 Posts

Profile of Rennie
I found my instructions for Haskell's Red & Blue Deck. It is the effect you are looking for. Red deck is gaffed (very easy to make), Blue deck ordinary. If interested I could send a copy to you.
Rennie
55john55
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of 55john55
Thanks to all of you for your help. Rennie, I especially appreciate the extra effort on your part. I don't really need the instructions, I was just trying to find out the real name of the effect so I could make a small attempt to find out something about the history of the effect. If there is a date anywhere on what you have I'd appreciate knowing what the date is. I'll start searching Haskell's red & blue deck and see where it leads me. It is one of my favorite effects and happens to be the first gaffed effect I ever bought. Since then I've made a number of them for magic friends. I would like to find out the origin if possible.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1810 Posts

Profile of Rennie
No date on the instructions, they are 5 pages long though.
Rennie